Yay! My first seedlings!

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

I started a flat of Bibb lettuce, because I just couldn't wait anymore to get gardening. This is my first year getting serious about starting seeds indoors, so I am very pleased to see my "babies" are doing well. :-) I also have some pansies and basil that are just starting to peek out of the soil. Tamara

Thumbnail by zone5girl
Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

they look perfect!!

west allis, WI(Zone 4b)

They look great! I too am getting the itch to start seeds. Its that time of year where we get antsy.
good luck with your babies....................b

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks, babs and tiger! I'm also doing some winter sowing, cleaning all my containers, updating my garden journal/diary for my 2007 garden, and I just bought 3 gardening books and subscribed to Horticulture magazine. Definitely helps alleviate my spring fever! ;-) Tamara

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Tamara, You and I must be thinking alike. I am just getting serious about seed starting too. I have just put out Bed Bud seeds, my first winter sowing. I am getting ready to start Pansies. Could you tell me in detail what you did with your seeds. I have never tried Pansies before and I am expecting my seeds to come this weekend. Holly

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Holly, this is my first year WS as well. Here's where I got my instructions: http://www.wintersown.org/wseo1/How_to_Winter_Sow.html I used milk jugs and seed starting mix, although you can use potting soil for WS if you like. With several types of seeds (including pansies), I'm going to WS and start them indoors under lights, and then take note of which method works best for each type. *crossing fingers* I just hope that I end up with a decent amount of plants come summer. Tamara

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Tamara, Thanks for the link. I did read that one and that is where I got the directions to start my Red Bud Trees. Holly

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Yum! I have pots filled with dirt in the cold cold garage awaiting seedlings I don't have yet. I marked the calender with 12, 10, 8, and 6 weeks before frost. I've looked over my old seeds wondering if any will grow and am patiently waiting for April!

Fine Gardening came today. Garden Gate will be here in a week or so and I have a lot of old Horticulture magazines.

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

I love Garden Gate! I've been a subscriber for 3 years. They have great pics and articles. I'm waiting for my first issue of Horticulture to arrive. Yippee! Tamara

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I was lucky to get Garden Gate close to the beginning. I immediately ordered the back issues, so I have all of them. I'll keep it till one of us goes out of business. :)) I never did take Hotocultue up again. I guess Crockett was my main information then. Two years ago I had foot surgery on one foot, then the other. I sat on the side porch and read all the gardening magazines I had. Country Gardener, Horticulture, Better Homes and Gardens Deck and Landscape, Organic Gardening, Flower and Garden, Birds and Blooms, and various pick ups from the stores. It was a wonderful recouperation!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.