Irish Moss?

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Good Eveining All! (or morning as your time zone dictates). I want to try and grow some irish moss this year and I'm having a heck of a time getting the low down. Has anyone ever tried to winter sow it?

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

Hi! I am new to the winter sowing method. So , no, I haven't winter sown any. However, I bought a dozen plants 3 years ago. They did not return the following spring. I was dumb enough to try again that spring. Again they didn't make it through the winter. I bought Scottish moss at the same nursery and it is spreading and is a chartreuse green all year around. I'm not sure why one would grow great and the other not , but it did not prove perennial in this zone. I love my Scottish moss. You might want to try some. Lou

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

good tip, dispatcher. i was wanting to try some Irish moss, too. maybe I'll skip it and go for the Scottish. or try some of each.

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the response Lou. I've actually looked for scottish moss and have not been able to find it. Can I ask where you got yours? I've seen some really eye-catching landscapes that incorporated both mosses which I'd like to try and duplicate.

Since I already have 200 specs of dust....er I mean irish moss seeds.... I recon I'll give it a go. I have a couple of small clumps that made it through last winter...knock on wood they'll still be there this spring.

So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

I winter sowed it last year and when it didn't come up spread the soil around in my heuchera bed. By the end of summer there was lovely irish moss growing all over among the heuchera. lol

Thumbnail by KatyMac
North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Oooh thanks Katy, that IS lovely. I think I shall do exactly as you and try the seeds WS and If they don't sprout in the container I'll go on to plan B! Thanks so much for sharing your experience with me.
La

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.