Musk Strawberries

Edinboro, PA(Zone 5b)

Lee Reich in his book Uncommon Fruits mentions the musk strawberry. Have you grown it? What's the flavor like? How fussy are they? [I live near Erie, PA, zone 5]. Also, does anyone have a recommendation for an Alpine strawberry (F. vesca) with weak-in-the-knees flavor? Recommended source(s)? Thanks! Brian How

Mendo. County, CA(Zone 8b)

You can get both strawberry varieties through Raintree Nursery in Washington. The catalog states zones 5-10 for the musk, 3-9 for the alpine. Having just moved to the country, I am planning my first strawberry patch this year, so I can't answer your other questions. Best of luck!

Edinboro, PA(Zone 5b)

Thanks, Patricia!
I'll get the catalog!
-Brian

Mendo. County, CA(Zone 8b)

Let us know what you think of the plants once you order them. The county guy here that I spoke with does all the inspections on plants coming into the county. He raved about Raintree's quality -- said it was the best he had seen, and he sees it all! It's where he orders his berries, now.

(No, I'm not on Raintree's payroll! Just thought I'd pass along what he told me.)

Edinboro, PA(Zone 5b)

Great! Now I 'll place the order Immediately! Thanks, Patricia! -Brian

Greensburg, PA

Purchased 1 plant each of the two varieties that RT had about 10 years ago. Fruit is red skinned but white inside and quite good, except that berries are irregulary shaped. First berries of the season seem to be larger and better, but berries can be variable and sometimes erratic. My plants stopped producing about 3 years ago. Plants bloom but berries do not mature.

Plants are very vigorous and runner extensively. I have not maintained the patch for years, as the plants escaped into the garden, and have plants tucked away all over the place. They are worthwhile and require minimal attention, but not as productive as the more commercial day neutral varieties. I have not made an effort to find out why mine stopped fruiting, as I have been focused on other things.

Fayetteville, AR

Interesting discussion of Mush Strawberries at Frankenoid's Saturday Morning Garden Blog.
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2007/2/17/65745/6034?detail=f
There's a link to an article in Smithsonian Magazine.
http://www.smithsonianmagazine.com/issues/2006/july/strawberry.php?page=1
Fascinating.

Edinboro, PA(Zone 5b)

Wow. These links have been great! I'm on the list with the gent who is breeding modern musk strawberries. Some possibly avail this Oct! Thanks, EdlinUser!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.