Building Green House

Cypress, CA(Zone 10a)

I am going to put up a 10'x12'x10'H greenhouse so I will have some protection when needed and to do a little germination. Here are some pic's of the base that I came up with reading up on it here and there. I put down weedblock cloth of course before the pea gravel and rock. And of course My Big Box only had so many bags of rocks in stock or it would have be finished....Going with the dark rock I am hoping I get a little passive heating at night. I also understand if you put a black 55 gallon drums inside it will also help. My question is this....do you place a lid on the drums and do you add any thing to the water to help with mosquitos????
Thanks for any help you guys can give
Curt

Thumbnail by radman
Cypress, CA(Zone 10a)

Here is another

Thumbnail by radman
Cypress, CA(Zone 10a)

And the last

Thumbnail by radman
Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

Curt leave the cover on the barrelsit will still radiate the heat back into the greenhouse.during the summer if not in use drain them so the gh doesn't get too hot. Looks great so far.

Cypress, CA(Zone 10a)

I finished the base on the greenhouse and the cost of doing it the way I did came out to about 225.00 I had to use the rocks sold by the bag so the rock cost me 60.00 more than if you had them dump the 9 cubic ft bag into a truck....I have a van so that wouldn't work for me. Just in case anyone wants to build a greenhouse add this to the cost of the greenhouse kit or material you'd be buying and it should give a good idea on final cost of constructing... I will post finial pic's in late Feb or march on the finished Greenhouse with costs.
Curt

Garden Grove, CA(Zone 10a)

How's it coming along? if it's done or almost done, you can pick up a Bottle Palm at Home Depot. Yes, that's right, a HD in zone 10a is selling a zone 11 palm. Their Bottle Palm label says hardy in zones 9 and 10.

Cypress, CA(Zone 10a)

Dave.....Will be ordering the Greenhouse on Feb 17...then have to wait for shipping etc. My girl is buying it for me for my birthday...I love that girl....Give me a call sometime and stop by, you can see how all my palms are doing and any suggestions on saving them.
Curt

Cypress, CA(Zone 10a)

Hi everyone this is an update. The greenhouse still hasn't arrived. So I have taken the time to put up the shade cloth for over the top of the greenhouse and to lay a weedbarrier down in the shade house and outside area. Here are a few pic's
Curt

Thumbnail by radman
Cypress, CA(Zone 10a)

Shade cloth for over the greenhouse. After the greenhouse is up then I'll cut the posts for the shade top to lower it to the right height. then I can attach bracing from greenhouse to shade poles.

This message was edited Mar 12, 2007 5:49 PM

Thumbnail by radman
Cypress, CA(Zone 10a)

Inside the shade house

Thumbnail by radman
Cypress, CA(Zone 10a)

And a tired me....

Thumbnail by radman
Vista, CA(Zone 10a)

Good job! This is something I need to build too. There are just too many palms that you can only get small and need a green house to grow till they are ready.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 9b)

Does a shade house do much in the way of cold protection? I know it would create a canopy, and if that even bought me 2-3F it would be good for 1-3 gallon palms. I don't want to get tempted into trying Zone10b-11 palms with a greenhouse. Yet.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 9b)

Second question: Where does a guy buy shadecloth without going online? I only want 50% black standard stuff on a roll.

Garden Grove, CA(Zone 10a)

I've seen shade cloth on the roll at Home D.

Cypress, CA(Zone 10a)

You can also buy it on ebay....I bought the cloth for over the greenhouse 12' x 24' with taped edges with the groment every 2' which made the installation a lot easier. Just used the bunge's. And it was cheaper...You can get it in different sizes and dif...percent shade..
The seller is herbs-mint-4-u

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

That's gonna be an awesome greenhouse.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 9b)

I stopped by Home Depot. Their cloth is 75%. Too dark for me. Armstrong has 50% black bit it's $2 a foot from a 6ft wide roll. 50 ft is all I need, but $100 seems high.

I'm cutting my pieces to size... roughly 3'x7' and 3'x5' sections.

Cypress, CA(Zone 10a)

2 to 2.50 is what it's going for. The stuff on the shade house I got from a nursery and it was 2.49 a ft. .....I hated spending the money but it lasts for a long time....

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

Lookin good radman, you're gettin there. Nice setup.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.