When do you say "enough is enough"?

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Press release: "On Saturday, Jan. 27, Barbaro was taken back to surgery because New Bolton Center veterinarians could not keep him comfortable on his right hind foot. That foot developed a deep subsolar abscess secondary to bruising when he went through a period of discomfort on the left hind foot. It is not laminitis but the undermining of the sole and part of the lateral heel region are potentially just as serious."

Gosh, I'm starting to feel really sorry for this poor guy. I'm certainly not making any judgements about his care or those who make the decisions for his care, but at what point do you say "hey, this is costing more than the GNP of a 3rd world country...." - even if he's probably pretty comfortable, most of the time.

Just to further complicate matters:"He had a perfect recovery from anesthesia and has been in and out of the sling since then. His left hind foot appears to be stable at this time. Veterinarians remain concerned about both front feet. Remarkably, his attitude and appetite were excellent overnight. "

I don't think I'd want him as a sire for any of my foals.... or is it just ridiculous to think that he could have come out of the original surgery without all these other complications?

This thread has 79 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!