show us beginners your blooms

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I don't have to see a rare plant to enjoy its' beauty.....share anything growing in the house or outside with us in the way of pictures....foliage plants....any plants or new projects.
All you need is a digital camera. If you can upload to your computer, you can share with us. It took me two weeks of trying before i finally asked for help...so easy on this site.

This message was edited Jan 28, 2007 4:42 PM
Dave's website...please remove this as I had already forgotten that this is a forum for only questions...sorry 'bout that...

This message was edited Jan 28, 2007 6:33 PM

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Now, now, I think you can have this topic. A way for us to show off and try to inspire a beginner. But all my pics are on the other computer. I can show you something tomorrow!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

:)

Thumbnail by notmartha
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

sallyg.....yea please show tomorrow
notmartha, that reminds me of my grandmother's gardens....going back and really study what you have done to create such a treasure...thanks

Boone, IA

Here is a closeup of my wildflower mixture I have in front of my vegetable garden. I love the corn poppies. It was easy to plant, we just direct sowed before a light snow in March. But keeping the weeds under control has been a lot of work. But they sure are pretty and I enjoy them so much.

Thumbnail by nannybee
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Two beautiful submissions already, showing slightly different styles, but I love the massas of flowers in both!
let's see if this is the picture I wanted- kinda hard to see these thumbnails. A casual area, part of my 'vegetable'garden that I lowered my expectations on when the groundhog kept eating it. So I put in a row of zinnias,and one on cleome, an amaranth came up, and a feww odds and ends of other thingsgot in there.
The mailbox, I dumpster dove for it from my neighborhood cleanup, painted and mounted on a branch. It makes a handy place to put some blank labels and pencil, string, gloves, pruners, quick stsh for seeds, etc to keep the rain off and make them handy.

Thumbnail by sallyg
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

These pics are just too good. For the weeds, I have discovered Preen from Walmart...a preemergence . Once the plants come up and get established just for a few weeks, I go back and use Preen which keeps weeds from coming up AND is a good fertilizer. Someone told me to be sure that the leaves of the plants weren't wet when I applied, but I am amazed at the difference in lack of weeds. I won the greatest looking mailbox at a charity auction (and I don't even get my mail here at the house) .....you have given me a great idea!!!!!
Do you remember which cultivar of seeds you planted of corn poppies.......such pretty colors...

This message was edited Jan 29, 2007 9:50 AM

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

here is another angle

Thumbnail by notmartha
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

this is another of my favorite pics
This is the main garden -i have several others! ;)

Thumbnail by notmartha
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

think I may be having zone envy??? although Grandma's garden looked just like yours...............so pretty and natural

Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

All of these photos are inspiring and offer hope for things to bloom this Spring. I decided to offer a couple of inside photos of my beloved African Violets. Ü

Thumbnail by DonM47
Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

Another, They keep my spirits high on cold winter days.

Thumbnail by DonM47
Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

last one,

Thumbnail by DonM47
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I am jealous, Don....I just ordered 10 from Rob's site online....I know what medium to put them in, but what containers do you have yours in and how do you water??? and feed??????

Fayetteville, NC(Zone 8a)

I love dahlias, so here is Snowbound.

Thumbnail by 1gardengram

And Spartacus, much darker red than I could get my camera to show.

Thumbnail by 1gardengram
Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

Hi Betty,

I use African Violet pots. They are the two part pots that have inserts that fit inside a larger pot where the water/food is placed. Then the insert that has an unglazed section, soaks up the water. They work well for me, and I have a couple dozen AV's. Important part...always water from the bottom.

Thumbnail by DonM47

And one whose tag got washed out before I realized it. Actually I have more of those. I spent much of the summer in the hospital, and they had to just survive on their own. My fall helpers mulched the bed for me and pulled out all my stakes and name tags, so this summer will be a lot of fun!!

Thumbnail by 1gardengram

This is Mary.

Thumbnail by 1gardengram

Last one for today is Firebird.

Thumbnail by 1gardengram
Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

Also should have mentioned that I use Eleanor's VF Food. Use it almost always when I water.

Wicked Dandy Pots work well for AV's as well. Both can be obtained from Charley's Greenhouse and Garden. Make sure when you choose a pot, that it is not too big for the plant. I use inserts in teacups for minis. Good luck!

Lovely dahlias, 1gardengram. Ü Can't wait for Spring!!!

Thumbnail by DonM47

Don, I'm really glad to see AV pots in action. I've looked at them in the stores, but could not figure out why they were so great. Now I know. Do you keep water/food in the outside pot all the time and let it "wick" itself into the inside pot?
Diane

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I feel selfish for starting this thread as I am learning so much and the pictures are soooooooooo inspiring.....the dahlias are great looking....Don, these violets I ordered will come in 2/12 pots, so what size do i order of the wicked dandy pots?

Boone, IA

bettygail,

The corn poppies came from American Wildflower Seeds over the internet. It was just a mixture of poppies. That's what makes them so much fun. I'd go out every morning to see what was new. There were many colors and some single and some double. Poppies are so pretty but I never had any luck picking them and bringing them in the house. But there were many wild flowers that made great cut flowers. I have a big bed for these flowers, about 7' by 50' so my granddaughters could pick to their heart's content and there would still be plenty of flowers left. I remember picking big bouquets at my grandma's house and wanted my girls to have the same experience.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

daylilies are my favorite flowers!
this is Kiah Townsend

Thumbnail by notmartha
Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

Betty, depending on whether they are standards or minis, is what will determine the pot size. When you receive your AV's in their 21/2 inch pots, check to see if at what development stage they are at. They could possibly remain in those pots until they are big enough to repot. With AV pots, you can get them with the inserts that are 21/2 inch, 31/2 in and so on. I urge you to check out the AV forum stickies, the top threads of the forum on, transplanting and pot sizes.

1gardengram, AV pots aren't normally "wicked". Dandy pots and other containers can be and they work well. The self watering AV pots that I mentioned earlier have the inner insert with a portion that is unglazed which allows the plant to absorb the water/food from the outter water chamber. I usually let my pots to dry out before I fill them up again. Once a week or more depending on the time of year and environmental conditions. With wicks, I have read that you shouldn't let the wick dry out. I have had this happen many times accidently before I fill the reservoir again without any adverse results.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

I need lots of help to get my garden to grow. Here's the beginning of my pond garden's edge after 28 years of weeds were wacked down. The flags mark the spots,where some daylilies are or were planted, if you can see the flags in the pic. I'm sowing swamp milkweeds, cannas & other bog plants to plant at the water's edge. I do have an iris about to bloom if the frost doesn't dip it. If it blooms, I'll post a picture.

Everyone's pictures look like postcards! Lovely and inspiring.
Deborah♥

Thumbnail by Cordeledawg
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I found those pots you were talking about Don on Charley's site.....wow, they are expensive, but i may buy them anyway...thanks for the help..I have standards coming.
right now I am overwhelmed trying to make up for lost time not living out here in the country....have ordered a lot of daylilies and the ground is not even prepared (LOL). I love them, too notmartha!!
Does anyone know if i took the field next to my brother's house and tilled it with the tractor, would corn poppies grow in our zone 9?? what other wildflower mixes would work in this 100 temp in the summer with high humidity? He really wants me to grow something in the way of wildflowers.
My grandchildren always want to pick flowers and give to their moms.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

In this picture you can see to the right I mixed bachelor buttons and poppies, everyone that comes to
the garden just luvs them-Id love to do the fields here in flowers! :)

Thumbnail by notmartha
Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Those are all the most beautiful gardens and flowers I've ever seen :))
We like to grow Dahlias too and we feed them Eleanor's VF-11

Thumbnail by Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

They were named when we bought them but we did not keep track .

Thumbnail by Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

another one

Thumbnail by Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

I have always enjoyed growing African violets too !
This one is a Wasp and name is The Martian

Thumbnail by Allison_FL
Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

I have 2 albums, one on Yahoo suitable for dial-up and the other is our website on Comcast, suitable for broadband users:

Dial-up on Yahoo:
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/jkom51/album/576460762324223128

Broadband Comcast webpage:
https://home.comcast.net/~j.komatsu/
(Click on one of the Flowers set, then click through the photos in each set by clicking on the Right arrow button near the top right)

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

This ones name is Annabelle she is from Optimaras Southern belle series

Thumbnail by Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

We enjoy growing all diferent named Sunflowers !

Thumbnail by Allison_FL
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Oh you are a daylily lover too! I have these 3 daylily beds and then there are 2iris beds and 2hosta beds and growing!!! I do have several smaller gardens around the garage and pool area! But ive posted all these pictures already here at daves! :)

Thumbnail by notmartha
Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

These are some of my shelves Hubby made me to grow my house plants !

Thumbnail by Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

We love Flowers !

Thumbnail by Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Anyone who' like to play we have a new Bingo starting soon in African violet/Gesnerid forum ! Everyone is Well comed !

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.