Onions from seed questions

Wilsonville, OR(Zone 8b)

Hi,

I am getting ready to plant my onion seeds.

Would putting them on a heat mat until they sprout be good? I have grow lights, should they be under grow lights right away, or only after they sprout? I am hoping to get the first seeds planted today, so if someone has an answer for me that would be swell!!

Booel

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Booel, (what an interesting name! I love it!)...

Temps for onion seed germinatin range from 50-75/80 degrees . Best range of temperature will be from 65-75 though. And no, they don't need light to germinate; I'd cover the seeds lightly with your soil mix as they'll need a bit of darkness more-so than the light.

Keep them consistently moist and at the proper temperature and you should be fine.

Shoe

Wilsonville, OR(Zone 8b)

Thanks Shoe!

The seeds are in, on a heat mat and now I'll just wait and watch!

Thanks for the compliment on the name - it is Swedish, actually spelled Boel, but I spelled it for easier pronounciation.

Booel

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

You're welcome, and am wishing you a great harvest!

By the way, what kind of onion seeds did you buy? (I'm the curious sort, ya know!)

Shoe

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Booel two weeks ago I planted eight flats of four inch pots. Walla wallas,Red wings,California Reds , Texas Granex and Alise Craigs. Sprouting came one after another but one lagged far behind LOL I investigated today and put seed in that flat today. The moral of this story if ya wants unions puts da seed in da pot lol.

Shoe since you are inquisitive today I planted a flat each of Gold coin and Red Marvel both Like the Cippiollini type I got from DixonDale last year. Copra is next followed by Evergreen. Ernie

Wilsonville, OR(Zone 8b)

Hi Shoe,

I planted Copra, Red Wing, Sweet Yellow Spanish and an unknown variety of a very large red onion my husband had saved some seed from. I am waiting to get Ringmaster seeds that I ordered.

Boel

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

I ordered sets for Cippolini, Red Torpedo and Leeks, and have seeds for Cippolino, Valencia, White Lisbon Bunching, and one or two in a mixed packet that I can't remember.

Oh, boy! Oh, boy! Ordered my seed potatoes yesterday, too!

Wilsonville, OR(Zone 8b)

Oh, and I forgot to mention, I planted some Giant Musselburg Leeks as well!

Booel

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

We're all in Onion Heaven, ain't we!! :>)

Sure is a great selection of onions to choose from! Wish we all lived closer, at harvest time we could have a big onion swap, or a big cook-off!

Shoe

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Oh, wow! Reality check - what the devil would I do with that many onions??? And what the devil does one do with a leek? The only think I use them for is in a stewed leek and tomato recipe. (Guess I'd better determine that before I start planting this stuff, huh?)

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

If you grow your own you can do much more than just use them in soups...I seldom "waste" a leek in soup anymore. My most favorite way to eat them is:

Baked/Broiled Leeks
(with Parmesan)

Slice leeks in half (as many as you prefer) and lay in a baking pan, cut side up.
Dot with butter and sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper.
Add a tad amount of water to the pan (1/8th—1/4th “), cover pan with foil.
Bake for approximately 20 minutes at 350º.

When baking time is up, remove foil from pan, cover leeks with grated Parmesan cheese and put under broiler. (I prefer real Parmesan, not the stuff in the green shaky can!)
Broil until cheese is not only melted but a dark brown color (almost black!).
Serve two halves per person as a side veggie (at least).

Note: Guard your plate. People have been known to swipe these right out from under your nose!

Shoe

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Now THAT sounds awesome!!! I have to remember to print this out from work tomorrow!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

You'll love 'em! It's about the only way we eat them anymore.

Shoe.

Wilsonville, OR(Zone 8b)

Yummy sounding! I can't wait to try that!

Booel

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Hi,

I'm back with yet another question...

WHat kind of a yield would one expect from 20 Cippolini, 20 Red Torpedo and 20 Leek sets? I know they multiply, and some will get hauled off by critters, and some won't make it, but what is a realistic expectaion for the first year onion grower?

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Nope, they won't multiply. You might be thinking of garlic, shallots, potato onions, and/or walking onions (akal Egyptian topset)

So, you'll get 20 of each that you mentioned but they'll either be pulled as green onions/table onions (your choice) or as mature bulb onions. As for the leeks, hopefully you'll let those mature for the recipe above. (Again, yummy!)

Shoe

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

We used leeks in soups and stews far more often than regular onions. I use both the white part and the tender part of the greens. Leek and potato soup is a classic. I also make a Leek and Tomato Quiche with fresh dill, Leek and Porcini risotto, Leeks braised in red or white wine as a side dish etc etc. Can never have too many leeks around here.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Janice can't plant to many cippionlli they are sweeter than green grass the first of June lol and they look great braided along with shallots and red and white or yellow keeping onions. Add a few hunks of different herbs and hang in the kitchen and you have a pretty picture. Made one for a friend in MA, last year four feet long she loved it. Ernie

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Bummer, I thought the cipollini's would multiply :( We leave our leeks in the ground all year every year and just pull as we need. Yes, I know they aren't as big as they would be if I dug and replanted those little ones every year! I may just have to head over to the Dixondale Farms website....

-Kim

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Kim, how did your leeks do after the last big freeze? Do you mulch around them or what? (I ran out this year and am planning for next).

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

There is some straw around them but nothing much. They came from John's parents garden in PA and they have never been mulched there. She likes the flowers - LOL so they don't eat them! I don't know what kind they are since they have been growing in the same spot for years...decades? Once I found out they weren't eating them I helped myself to a couple dozen!

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Hmmmmm. If you ever want some of those seeds taken off your hands... :)

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Leeks do make beautiful flowers. I never grew them for that purpose, but sometimes I didn't eat them in time and they went to seed. Some have white flowers and others are purple, but they drew compliments from the neighbors who wanted to know what they were. In my book they are just as ornamental as ornamental alliums.

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

Two questions if you do not mind...

When do you remove the onions from the flat and put them in pots? Mine have sprouted, they are still covered and they are getting long...

Second do you start your leeks with your regular bulb onions?

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Terrific thread, I have some wild leeks growing in the garden I think there the Asian type. One time I had to pull a bunch of them because they were taking over and reseeding themselves. I've also started some green onions that are doing well.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

I have alot of onion seeds that I've probably kept too long, so I'm going to be a planting fool this weekend. It's still early enough to get slips if the seeds don't take, so I'm going to go crazy with what I've got...ya neva know!

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Jen I plant mine in 4 inch pots not flats usually but this year planted them in tubs 6 inches deep so I can grow them longer in my gh. You need to get them out of the flat before the roots hit the bottom I would guess to avoid tangeling the roots. When mine get 6 to 8 inches tall I cut them off to 4 inches forcing them to grow thicker stems.

I start leeks with my onions about five weeks ago.Ernie

Thumbnail by eweed
Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks Erine. I am going to have to move them this weekend.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

I think you can partialy fill a deeper pot and justlift some squares out with a spatula and set right on top without much problem

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Nice spread, Ernie! Everything looks so green.

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Nice looking garden, Ernie.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

TY I get by with a little help from my friends this one has been around 42 years and I grow flowers for her lol both of them but the cat is not the one sharing my life for 42 years

Thumbnail by eweed
Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

Okay I have 7 flats filled with 4in pots with onions in each pot all over my house. I do not think I will let me girls plant the onion seeds next time..

My DH asked if we were starting an onion farm.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

After they seem recovered from the move in a week or so you may think about taking a sharp pair of sissors to them and cut them off four inches from the soil. This will help them grow sturdier stems. I cut mine off about 3 times I never let them get over 8 inches high. I dont know where I read this but I saw it again a few days ago in an artical by the U of New Mexico. It was for commerical growers growing transplant starts in a GH,

Edited to say just wait till its time to weed those seven flats

This message was edited Feb 10, 2008 6:21 PM

Thumbnail by eweed
Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

UGH I am hoping that they will be okay from the move. My 2 children helped me... I am misting them with water right now. I will trim them if they make this move. I learned a HUGE lesson this time. Don't plant (or let your kids plant) so many seeds in a flat..

I am not looking forward to weeding

Raeford, NC

eweed, You have the touch. Every picture I see your stuff is always such good size and beautiful. Deanna

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh wow I never blew up that pic and did not see eweed was holding onions. WOW

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Jenn LOL that is not an Ernie that is a Maria holding the onions, our dear friend visiting from MA. She loved picking stuf from the garden.

Deanna its not really touch its more like five things .Good soil, good sun,good food, good water, and last but very important good weeding never letting the weeds grow and get big close to your plants because they rob food and water and disturb the roots whe you yank them out. Yes its a pain but.

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

How do you never let weeds near your plants. I feel like if I get out there they are back the next day!

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

Okay so I killed all of my onions... ugh

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.