Need advice on geranium seedlings....

Hello!

I'm hoping someone here can give me a hint, as to why the first true leaves of my mixed color Geranium seedlings are yellow?

I sprouted the seeds between wet paper towels. after sprouting, I carefully planted in six-packs in Hoffman seed starter.
I have them under my four bulb flourescent fixtures (about 3 inches from light source). the lights are brand new-2 cool white and 2 warm white, alternated, in each fixture.
I was happy with their short, stocky stems, but am dismayed to see these yellowed leaves (altho, otherwise they look very robust).

Any ideas? Should I transplant immediately into potting soil? give then a very diluted dose of fertilizer, or what.
I've grown my flowers and veggies under lights for years and have never had this occur.

Please, can somebody h-e-l-l-l-pppp?

Thanks so much, Deanna

Thumbnail by Sashagirl
Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

That is strange....the only thing that I can think of is that because the newest (although in this case the only) leaf is yellow that it is low iron-which in cases like this would be more to the iron being blocked by the PH of the soil..but w/out knowing the PH of the medium that it is in,can't say for certain. Is this a new medium for you? In any case, I think I would transplant it into another growing medium-at least some of them and see what happens to them in both mediums.
I have some that have just popped-and I will let you know what the true leaf looks like. I know that geraniums like a PH around 6.5 or so. In the past, the true leaves have always been green. I know the PH that I grow it in is around 6.5.

Hi tigerlily,
Thanks for replying.
First off, I made a mistake on the Brand.(duh) sorry.

This is Jiffy Seed Starter, and I'm not sure if I've used it before, as I generally buy Hoffman's. I remember it was on sale-dirt cheap, last year, so I picked up several bags and stored them.
Another Thing my addled brain just noticed, is that the bag says "Jiffy Vegetable Mix" for seed starting.
To an inexperienced seed starter that might throw up a red flag, but since I've always started my veg and flower seeds in the same mix, this fact(Veg.Mix) didn't phase me, when I bought it.

The breakdown is as follows: N (.025%) P (.030%) K (.06%) and the bag states that the ingredients are sphagnum peat, horticultural perlite, fertilizer, and lime for pH balance.

Does this information alter any previous thoughts?

Thanks again, and I would so appreciate anyone responding, especially if you've had this same experience-and dealt with it successfully (and lived to tell about it. HA!)

Deanna

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Well Deanna, all Ican say is that it looks like a nutrional deficiency due to the PH or just that it needs a shot of fert. I usually start to fert the seedlings when the true leaves start to show, just because I know that the starter fert in these mixes are almost insignificant in the amts they put in the bag. Maybe just giving it a very diluted shot of fert will help ( you should see the results in about a week) and keep up the fert (1/4 strength or less) once a week. I assume these seedlings are about 2-3 wks old after they germ? If the fert doesn't do it, then I would transplant out of that mix and into another soiless mix ( I never use potting soil) . It is possible that you got a bag that didn't have the right amt of lime, I know that it looks a little light on the perlite. Fert it and show us what it looks like after a week. Mine still have their cotyledon leaves right now.

tigerlily,

Looks like "great minds" think alike! :~)
That's the same conclusion I came to, and was just wondering if anyone had been successful, handling it differently.
I shall follow your advice, immediately! thanks

Deanna

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

I hope it works-keep us posted!

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Since you stored the bag for so long, I think there is a chance that the fertililer sort of fell by the wayside, is that's possible? I would get some fertilizer on those and see if they don't green up -- they sure are cute stocky little things!

Suzy

Illoquin,

Good thought! Something else for me to do a little research about!

Thanks!
Deanna

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

I am growing geraniums from seeds for the first time this year. I just saw your post, and was curious as to why you germinated them between paper towels? I just planted my seeds in a soiless mixture of 1/3 spaghgum moss, perlite, and vermiculite. I also have them on a heating pad. I just planted them on Thursday evening, so there is nothing to show as of yet. I also planted vinca, and black eye susans in the same starting tray.

pennefeather,

good question!

I never used to "test " seeds for germination (paper towel method), until my gardening buddy told me about it, He had been using this method for years, as he is a consumate "saver" of seeds-and some times the seeds may be a few years old, before he is ready to use them, because of size restraints in some of his flower beds.
He has tons of different varieties, but just a few plants of each variety-therefore, may take 3-5 years to use one pack af any particular variety. He also detests waste of any seeds.

The paper towel assures that you have accurate viability percentages, and can keep records of such, as the seeds age. You are then able to know (almost) exactly how many seeds you plant, that will grow.

It's also a great method for those hard-to-crack seeds like morning glories, for example. the success rate for germination is generally greater, also, with this method, IMHO.

Hope this explanation helps some.
Deanna

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

deanna-have your seedlings greened up yet? I'll take a picture of mine tomorrow-you can just start to see the true leaves, but they look ok.

Hi tigerlily!!

Thanks for asking! And YES, they have. A few have completely greened, and two are turning green.

It definitly appears to have been a nutritional deffeciancy(sp?), as you suggested. I gave them one watering at about 50% strength, last week, and am planning on another weaker solution with tomorrows watering. I thought I'd wait until next week end to post pics, as several more have sprouted in the last few days.

Thanks again, for your help.
Deanna

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Deanna,

When you use the papertowel method, do you place them in a warm dark place or a lighted place? Also is the germination any faster using this method?

If this helps to determine if seeds are still viable, this would be helpful with the packets that I still have from last year. I was trying to decide if I should just give them a try or just chuck them.

Hi pennefeather

SorryI didn't get back sooner. I've been transplanting pansys, dusty millers, and wave petunias for a few hours-plus got a haircut.

I take a domed half-flat, lay down a paper towel, sprinkle on the seed, top it with another paper towel, then pour enough warm water over it, to completely saturate. then I put the clear dome on the half-flat , and set it on top of my upright freezer. No addirional light needed.
Over night, condensation will form inside the dome, and every few days, if needed, spritz paper towels a little more. My friend puts his seeds in wet paper towels, then puts them in a baggie and seals it. I prefer my method, as it is easier to check them-just pop thee dome, pull back the top paper towel and look at them.no fussing with that plastic bag, etc.

I would absolutely give this a try, if I were you. It's easy, and you won't be guessing about if the seeds you've planted will sprout or not. I leave the sprouted seeds in there until the hull pops off and I see the first signs of green seed leaves form.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.