Can caryopteris be wintersown?

Chapel Hill, NC(Zone 7b)

I just took some spent flowerheads (pretty dry) from my caryopteris. There are some seeds there (they look a little like dill seeds). Does anyone have experience with this? That is, these seeds have been on the plant since fall of course, through freezes and rains and dry - can I still sow them or might they have been damaged? Also, I have read several posts where people either said they sowed them in fall or in spring - I can't figure it out. If you sowed them, when did you, what is a good time?

The wintersowing database does say that it can be sown in zone 7, but does not say when (as it does not for many plants) and perhaps due to the time I got the seeds there may be some concern about that.

Any advice on this - I have gotten the wintersowing bug? I am sowing only a few of each variety, because I won't know where to put them, but I would love to have another caryopteris.

York, PA

The Tom clothier database says "Sow on the surface at 20ºC (68ºF) in light, germinates in less than two wks short viable". I plan to sow mine in March.

Joanne

Chapel Hill, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks, Netwiz. You do mean that you are going to so it in a jug, etc.? What zone are you in? And if you sow it in March (early?late?) will it grow to transplant size? I should have bought them when Lowe's had tons of them.

York, PA

I'm going to sow them in a jug and put them outside in mid March, depending on the weather. Your zone should be warmer than mine so you will need to judge for yourself when you think it is warming up. I'm told that WS seedlings catch up quickly once you plant them out. Most people plant them when they are very small, 1 or 2 sets of true leaves. Good luck!

Joanne

Chapel Hill, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks, Joanne, good advice, I looked at the germination site again, it is very helpful. Good luck to your wintersowing too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.