The Aftermath*****10 days later

Cypress, CA(Zone 10a)

Well this is what my palms look like now.........I am trying my best not to loose it, and I am making sure to give them all the tender loving care that they will need to survive.

Thumbnail by radman
Cypress, CA(Zone 10a)

The brown fields

Thumbnail by radman
Cypress, CA(Zone 10a)

King gones

Thumbnail by radman
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Well, your Wodyetia is now wood (as is mine)... oh well. Sometimes I think green is overrated... the good thing about truly brown palms is they are very easy to take care of, requiring no water or fertilizer, and they don't outgrow their places in the yard. I will enjoy my new brown jungle for a while before I replace with another green one. The neighbors already think I'm crazy.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

Wow. That brown fields image is depressing. Crispy critters. I am SO lucky I was able to get through this frigid spell so unscathed. I just had some brown spots on my Wody and that was about it, that and I lost just a branch off a small B. Nobilis. My Howea looks great so far, after having been in the ground only since new years.

Was it windy during your cold spell? Based on what I read on another thread, the wind seems to have played a huge part in this cold snap's freezing ways.

palmbob, LOL! Way to keep your sanity. Reminds me of all the great reasons to get a Pet Rock.

Thumbnail by FondOfFronds
Cypress, CA(Zone 10a)

Hey FondOfFronds......Thats a good idea.....I'll cut up my crispy critters in little pieces and sale them as Pet Wodyetia.......

Garden Grove, CA(Zone 10a)

Don't throw your kings away yet. I see green! Radman, How did your new flamethrowers hold up? My seedling which is under plant canopy, (which I threw a blanket on top of during the colder nights) looks as great as before the cold. In fact it looks better than 98 or 99% of the rest of my palms.

Some people are putting potted silk palms in the front of their houses. Of course they can be identified by their unusual florescent green/yellow color but at least they survive the coldest systems.

Brisvegas, Australia(Zone 12b)

Quoting:
I'll cut up my crispy critters in little pieces and sale them as Pet Wodyetia
?

Cypress, CA(Zone 10a)

Hi Ginger
Pet rocks were a fad item sold in the 70s as a funny type of gift......millions were sold......I am just trying to shed a little humor in my situation.....Oh by the way I will be going to my friends house today that has the Large Triangle palm and will try to post it later for you....I told you I would in one of your threads
Curt

Oceanside, CA(Zone 9b)

Yesterday my wife said "Why does our yard look so much worse than everyone elses in our neighborhood?" It's not much fun defending something that youve spent so much time, effort, and money on just to arrive at results that look laughable compared to all the neighboring average yards.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

Osideterry, you of course know the answer to the wifey's question. Your love of beautiful palms was the driving force to buy trees (such as foxtails and fishtails) that you thought you could grow in your climate zone. Until this January's record cold, you were prolly doing okay. Who knew it would get so frigid? It's just a darn shame.

I would imagine you've already formulated a recovery plan that includes trees that aren't so sensitive to frostbite. I reallly like those Quito Coconuts (Parajubaea coccoides) that you have mentioned before. They can take it down to 20F. That oughta do the trick.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 9b)

I just unwrapped all my palms, and sprayed all the spear-bases with Daconil, an antifungal/disease spray. I'll repeat in two weeks.

This might be a real comeback story. Every spear is a nice green, although a few are brown tipped. There is enough green left in the leaves to last (I hope) until the new spears open. I can imagine them looking pretty decent by end of summer. The only ones still worrisome are the foxtails, gigas and royal. I think the royal will survive, but might look funny longer.

I emailed Gary Wood at South Coast Palms. His usual suspects got hit (potted kings, kentias, foxtails, Dypsis baronii) but all his palms in the ground and in the greenhouse are unscathed. He's who I got my Parajubaea from, and his 5-15 gallon ones made it through just fine. I highly recommend him as a resource, and especially want to help him out since he no doubt lost thousands of dollars worth of palms last week.

OK radman, now I get it.
If you were any nearer to me,
I could replace nearly everything you lost.
I feel bad about all the stuff I cut down and throw / burn away.
You could have had it all.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

osideterry, I'm thinking that we may not be out of the woods just yet. Remember that February is considered the coldest month here in our parts. But I really hope your "brownies" make it thru.

Here's a pic of that Pet Rock Ginger. Next thing you know you'll be able to order your "Pet Wody" on amazon. j/k

Money for nothing ?
Sounds good to me.
When do we start ?
Remember I`m in on this.

I`m including this to see if you can guess what it is.
And I don`t mean the Ixora.

Thumbnail by ginger749
Hollywood, CA(Zone 9b)

Bismarkia nobilis

Thank you lroot .
I Googled that and you are right on the money.
They are right about the street scaping as well.

Thumbnail by ginger749
Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

That's Bismarckia, with a c you know. You prolly just forgot.

radman
How about an upgrade on your frost bitten palms .

How are the "Pet Wodyetia" Going ?
Are we making a profit yet ?

Cypress, CA(Zone 10a)

My two Kings are starting to open new fronds , and the foxtails are still not out of the woods yet. Some show growth at the spears and some look to be dried up but the trunks on these are still a green color, so I am not giving up on these yet. I gave them all a shot of Super Thrive a few days ago. I will post some pics this weekend. Thanks for your concern ginger.
Curt

PS: I will be storing the Pet Wodyetia for the upcoming Christmas rush.....LOL

This message was edited Feb 19, 2007 3:25 PM

Thanks for the update &
I`m looking forward to the Pics .

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.