Unusual Iris

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Some are species some are other Irids

The next several pictures are Tigridia pavonia an Irid that can occasionally send up fall blooms
these fall stalks are not as sturdy as the spring but as you can see they really give you some fall color

Thumbnail by avmoran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Without the spots
Still have not decided which I like better

Thumbnail by avmoran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

RED!

Thumbnail by avmoran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Tigridia pavonia Alba my favorite

Thumbnail by avmoran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Iris chrysograph a sinosiberian iris

Thumbnail by avmoran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Iris Dietes, also called the Fortnight Lily

Thumbnail by avmoran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Hermodactylus tuberosus, Snake Head Iris or Widow Iris

Thumbnail by avmoran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Iris Versicolor , Blue Flag Iris and Native American Iris
this and many other species can come in various colors

Thumbnail by avmoran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

White

Thumbnail by avmoran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Iris tenax a native to Oregon and Washington

This message was edited Jan 25, 2007 11:53 AM

Thumbnail by avmoran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Iris pseudacorus one the most envasive of the iris species originally from Europe it has found a home here and is illegal in many states as a noxious weed. It should never be planted near or around a water source that can escape into the wild as a very small piece can make a new colony. you notice I said colony not clump

they need bulldozers to remove this thing from wild sources here in the US where it has chocked out wild food sources.

This picture is of a Toutle River backwash (the river nearly destroyed in Mt. St Helen erruption, much of this river is doing very well but they will have a problem with this iris and soon

Thumbnail by avmoran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Iris pseudacorus

Thumbnail by avmoran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Iris pseudacorus escaped from an iris garden in a natural water source. The Iris gardener knew this iris and how to handle it and it still escaped.

Having said all this many hybridizers are working very hard to make crosses with the beautiful iris to make it less invasive and more mannerly

Thumbnail by avmoran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Sisyrinchium striatum very tiny flower native to South Brasil, Paraguay, and Argentina

Thumbnail by avmoran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Sisyrinchium striatum plant

Thumbnail by avmoran
Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

The Vesper Iris, Pardanthopsis dichotoma. Not sure that it would be winter hardy here, but as you can see, it makes a nice annual. This is my first season for it.

Thumbnail by Leftwood
Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

I wonder if the first 4 would grow and flower here in Florida?

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Phicks--Trig's do well for me and usually bloom 1st year from seed. I have several of the species.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

do you have any seeds you might want to trade?

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

It is so cool to see all those unusual species all lined up like that!

Here are a couple more that fall into that category........................these are the "walking iris" sometimes known as the 'TIGER EYE IRIS'.

I have photos of 2 of the 3.
This one is Neomarica . Some refer to it as N. NORTHIANA. It blooms in the spring for me.

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

This one is Trimez. It blooms in the FALL for me.

(The one I don't have a photo for, but have just acquired is named CAERULEA. It is purple with deep blue/purple curled up standards).)

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Oh these are so pretty. I may need to investigate them.

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Species Iris are a wonderful addition to any garden

phicks Tigridias are called the Mexican Shell Flower they should do quiet nicely for you. I have never been successful from seed probably becasue it is too cold here and I bury the bulbs very deep and mulch them to keep them but they are well worth it.

SIGNA (Species Iris Group of North America) has a seed list every year and it is great

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Margie great shots
:)
A

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Phicks--let me check. I can save you some this summer if I don't have any seeds now. I grow T chiapensis (its a white species) and T pavonia ssp lilacea (its a lavender). I get a large amount of species bulb seeds every week. I know I have some coming this week with both Cape and South American species in that batch--let me see what I get. Otherwise, I have those 2 bulbs plus T ssp alpestris (a mexican species with chocolate-violet blooms) and T mexicana ssp passiflora. I also have a lot of other Irids (some Glad species only, plus a lot of Freesia species, Calydorea's (the mexican species), a zillion Cypella's, some Geissorhiza's, most all the Herbertia's, several Nemastylus species, some Sopraxis, and too many LA iris). =) Debbie

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

And SIGNA seed exchange includes all irids, not just the genus Iris. Received my first time SIGNA order last week:

Iris aphylla 'Transylvanica Native' OP
Iris cristata 'Sam's Mini" OP
Iris japonica ex China OP
Iris koreana ex Pyosan Bando, South Korea
Iris odaesanensis OP
Iris sanguinea 'Violacea' OP
Iris setosa 'Tourist' OP
Iris typhifolia ex Mongolia OP
Iris hookeriana x ensata OP F3's

That's a nice form of Iris lutescens, avmoran. I need to dig up a photo of my Iris gracilipes too, unless someone can beat me to it.

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

LOL
I love it that so many are growing species

Cave Creek, AZ

Has anyone gotten irises from Blue J Iris? Are the rhizomes agood size?
Mickey

South Hamilton, MA

We are zone 6a but can get very cold. Tigridias grow in area this cold? Anita--ASI newsletter came today.Will read it this evening.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Here's a pic of my Blue J order from last year;

Thumbnail by pollyk
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Iris MA they recommed planting Tigs 4" I have mine 8" plus 2" of mulch I do not dig them up and they seem to do fine and I'm 6B
A

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Nice looking plants from Blue J, Anita. Also I got my ASI journal as well. Lovely pictures! I will be reading the print tomorrow. Thanks for your hard work.
Betty

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

You are all more than welcome
Hint hint
Would love ideas on articles
maybe a submission
LOL
A

College Station, TX(Zone 8b)

Flags and TB's do ok for me but my soil is very alkaline. How would these do here?

Anne

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Most bearded like alkaline soil 7+pH and the bacteria that causes bacteria soft rot has a harder time surviving in it. If it is real alkaline oak leaf mulch turned into the soil helps alot
Anita

College Station, TX(Zone 8b)

I give up on that. I don't have the time and/or patience to do the constant work that it would take (because our water is part of the prob. as well). I just look at what works and go with that. Irises and daylilies are happy campers for me, as well as a few perennials. And that's ok with me. I know that I can't grow Sibs. but I would like to know about the Japanese and/or spuria as well as the ones shown above. Learning that Siberians won't do in my soil was an expensive lesson : - (

Anne

South Hamilton, MA

I would think the spuria would be happy if you have dry summers. We don't, they will grow here but don't bloom. JI like siberians like acid soil. I would suggest trying spurias first.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.