Proud Plant Parents, share your plant photos here...

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

When I see a thread where someone says " I got this new whatchamacallit. Isn't it pretty!"
I ooh and ahhh and fight down the urge to post a plant picture of my whatchamacallit and say Neat ~ I got one too.

I thought we needed a spot to bring out the plant " Brag Book " and share our photos and stories about our favored plants.

Please post the plant or plants of your choice be it houseplants, trees, perennials, annuals, herbs, shrubs. Let us ooh and ahhh and show you ours...

Thumbnail by podster

The photo above is Jonquil or Narcissus. They are in bloom right now and delightfully fragrant. Whatever is in bloom at the time is my favorite.

The plant below, Beaucarnea Recurvata or the ponytail plant, is the plant that made me think of doing this thread. I love this guy and have had him at least 18 years. The kittens broke the top out years ago and it came back with multiple heads. I was reading about a variegate ponytail on another thread and hated to step on their thread too much so am sharing the photo here.

Thumbnail by podster
Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

pod, my narcissi are just peeking up. I wonder if they'll grow, since yours are already gorgeous.

But anyway! I'm pretty proud of my Charles Darwin, even if I have posted the photo before:

edited to say please pardon the black spot!

This message was edited Jan 25, 2007 3:00 PM

Thumbnail by brigidlily

Brigidlily ~ Beautiful rose! Is it fragrant? Roses take more fussing than I am willing to give but I do love them and their fragrance. Do you have all your roses selected for your beds this spring?
Is this the first year for your Narcissi? If so, they may not bloom this spring... The foliage stores nutrients for future blooms. These are really doing well this year and I am not sure why. Friends say the same thing about theirs blooming exceptionally well but this is the normal bloom time.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

OK, I'll play. here is my beucarnea. Was a house plant for over 5 years and since I saw pic of a huge one planted outdoors I decided to move mine.

Thumbnail by vossner

here is a houseplant, I can never remember its name. This particular variety has red leaves which eventually change to light green with red veining. It sits on my kitchen sill and is quite dramatic becuase nearby wallpaper is red--it almost looks fake.

Thumbnail by vossner

here is a flower arrangement with mums (they have been in that vase for 2 weeks!, I know, they're past their prime now). Also have roses Iceberg, Cramoise Superior bud and Pink K.O.

can't wait to show off my callas.

Thumbnail by vossner

finally, a pic from the beautiful but weird file: dianthus superbus. My local nursery had a mix. It might turn some people off, as the flowers look wind-tattered. I love them. Planted as filler in a pot that has a large pencil cactus. They coexist happily. Here is white w/ red eye.

Thumbnail by vossner

here is solid white and pink w/ red eye.

Thumbnail by vossner

Vossner, Thank you for playing with us... I like your Beaucarnea ~ it appears to have multiple tops also? In this zone, I would be afraid of parking it in the soil year round. It would be easier than moving my oaf in and out.
Is the kitchen houseplant a Syngonium or something like that... years ago my Mom had a similar one but in green. She called it arrowhead vine. I like the tint that yours has.
I do love the "bad hair day" dianthus. Do they have any odor. Some dianthus I have seen smelled spicey like cinnamon. They are too cool...

This is an old and favored houseplant... a Hoya. It is huge and blooms all summer. The fragrance can be a little overwhelming at dusk so I let it hang on the front porch. I love the delicate waxy blooms.

Thumbnail by podster

pod, I knew it was a name w/ an S but your couldn't remember. it is aka arrowhead plant. thanks. I can now post in the PF. I grow a hoya in a patio planter, have had for years but has never bloomed for me. I hate it when that happens

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Ooo, goodie! Now I have a reason to post my pics! Hollyhocks are one of the first things I ever grew from seed that actually took. They reseed so much they are a perennial in my garden. Here's a pic:

Thumbnail by zone5girl
Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

I just love this Lucky Peach lantana (I bought this one)

Thumbnail by zone5girl
Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Tuscan Sun rose:

Thumbnail by zone5girl
Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Wirral Pride daisy:

Thumbnail by zone5girl
Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Analita tulip:

Thumbnail by zone5girl
Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Pansies:

Thumbnail by zone5girl

zn5 girl, on the daisy, did you buy a plant or grow from seeds. That one is really something. Also, I ought a Lucky Peach and I love it also.

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

I could post a pic of most of my plants, because so many are special to me, but I'll spare you! ;-) Thanks for looking, Tamara

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

I bought the Wirral Pride from Bluestone Perennials (a Watchdog 30 company that happens to be about 15 minutes away). Isn't it so cool? I just bought some Crazy Daisy seeds to plant near the Wirral Pride. Tamara

Zgirl ~ beautiful pictures, how do you put the plant name on the photo? Not that camera/computer literate here. Please feel free to post all the photos you want. I always felt guilty about stepping on someone elses thread but here, not to worry... Have at it!

Vossner ~ is your Hoya root bound? This year mine did better than ever and I didn't even fertilize. It is in afternoon shade and I only watered heavily while in bloom.

This was a first at my house this summer... A night blooming cactus ~ Epiphyllum. I have had many of these in the past. They would get so huge and never bloom. I have had them break pots and fall to the ground and also freeze as I couldn't move them. I always thought and still think it is an ugly plant. I bought this one from friends that sell plants ~ just because. It is small. I stashed it back in a corner and ignored it. Barely remembering to water it. After a good September rain, walked by the plant and saw 6 flower buds. I was amazed. Two buds dropped off but I enjoyed 4 of these. They were fragrant, only bloomed at night and lasted one night. Had to look quick! : ))

Thumbnail by podster
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh Boy Oh Boy! A place to post pictures of plants! I love it. Like others, I always WANT to post photos of mine when I see a thread with something I have, but I decide not to because I feel like I'm stepping on toes.

Where do I begin.... I'm terrible with "real" names of plants so you'll just have to bear with me.

This pot of roses and gerber daisies is one of my favorites. Mainly because it's the first time I've ever been able to keep the gerber daisies alive! I tried for several years because I just loved the vibrant colors. I shudder to think just how many of those poor daisies I killed. My brother in law brought me this waybigo pot, already with plants in it. The gerber's in there survived for a couple of years. Now and then, when I'd think they'd bit the dust, they'd come right back up again.

I spent almost a month learning to use my camera on the roses in this pot. I'd take photos of the blooms at all stages.

Janet

Thumbnail by UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Here is a close up of some of the roses. They are tiny roses.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

And the Daisies. I love the water drops on the petals.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

I don't have any idea what this vine is called. The leaves remind me of an English Ivy, but these are waxy. The little yellow flowers are in bloom right now. The petals are much more yellow than this photo shows.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

This magnificent amaryllis was planted in the ground 4-5 years ago. I don't know the name but it reminds me of a strawberry cheesecake ice cream sundae!

Edited because even with the spell checker in place, I goofed and hit send before I should have!

This message was edited Jan 28, 2007 11:08 AM

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

First time I've ever seen my banana tree have anything other than waybigo leaves. Never did actually make any fruit, but I enjoyed this bloom. The bloom showed up on one of the trees that sprouted from the original plant. I started one 1 tree and now have a half a dozen or so in different places in my yard.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

That same bloom, several days later.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

This is a photo showing the back side of the center island. The banana trees are there, along with many other plants.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

This is one of my Easter Lilies that I planted after Easter several years ago. Each year it blooms for me.... though not always in time for Easter.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Looking inside of the Easter Lily

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

My most expensive plant. My Sunshowers Hibiscus. I paid $30 for this hibiscus because... well doggone it, I'm worth it! I'm such a cheapy when it comes to just about everything, but when I saw this, I would have gladly paid $100 for it.

Get ready. This one is a stunner!

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Getting ready to open.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Now don't you agree that it was worth the $30?

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks Pod for starting this thread! I'll post more photos later. Hubby's taking me to lunch.

Janet

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

UniQue Treasures.................wow! thanks for making my day a little brighter................

Hi UQT ~ haven't run into you for a while! I love your photos... you must ID this one for me. "I don't have any idea what this vine is called. The leaves remind me of an English Ivy, but these are waxy. The little yellow flowers are in bloom right now. The petals are much more yellow than this photo shows." Does it produce seeds? If someone here can't help us out, maybe you would post it on the ID forum. My mind is inquiring... The hibiscus was definitely worth $30 ~ so pretty! Your DH must think you're worth it too ~ taking you to lunch... how sweet. Please more photos, yes!

A favorite and easy to grow, French Hollyhocks...

Thumbnail by podster

Unique, fabulous pics. Your amaryllis is Apple Blossom, btw.
waybigo

Beaumont, TX

This one peacock fern which is really a moss I understand from reading DG...is special because it was nearly dead at the grocery store when I rescued it. Looked like straw. They still made me pay for it even tho they were fixing to throw it away. It's got lots of pink on one side I suppose because of the direction it was facing before I brought it into the greenhouse. Usually it's iridescent purple and blues.

Thumbnail by maidentheshade

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.