From Gaylord Palms: Ids...

Brooksville, FL

Can anyone ID these palms from Gaylord in orlando. I collected some seeds from the first one...

Thumbnail by cobra2326
Brooksville, FL

Another...

Thumbnail by cobra2326
Brooksville, FL

yet another...

Thumbnail by cobra2326
Brooksville, FL

same as above...

Thumbnail by cobra2326
Brooksville, FL

more

Thumbnail by cobra2326
Brooksville, FL

cyrtostachys renda

Thumbnail by cobra2326
Brooksville, FL

chambeyronia macrocarpa

Thumbnail by cobra2326
Oceanside, CA(Zone 9b)

I'm guessing the first one is a Pinnanga kuhli, and the 3rd/4th image is a Ptychosperma caryotoids. I don't know my spiny palms well enough to guess on the second one. Number 5 looks like an Archontophoenix of some kind, but I'll let the other guys figure it out.

This message was edited Jan 24, 2007 11:51 AM

Brooksville, FL

are you sure thats a carytoides? the leaflets are more like a wodyetia than the ones I've seen on a carytoides

Brooksville, FL

another photo of the spiny palm

Thumbnail by cobra2326
Brooksville, FL

I think its a verschaffeltia splendida, based on the root system

Thumbnail by cobra2326
Oceanside, CA(Zone 9b)

Check out this link. If not this I bet palmbob knows. I'm probrably wrong about Pinanga also. I just enjoy guessing.

http://www.plantapalm.com/vpe/photos/Species/ptychosperma_caryotoides.htm

The plumose leaves are a bit unusual in your photo. Not a wodyetia crownshaft.

This message was edited Jan 24, 2007 2:52 PM

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Not sure what photos go together... very unclear. But the middle photo of the palm with stilt roots looks like a Socratea, but could, I suppose, be an Iriartea. Or maybe something else.

Brooksville, FL

Sorry for the confusion. Only the 3rd and 4th images go together, also the splendida is the 2nd and last two photos.

Brooksville, FL

I would say, based on the spiny roots, length of the crownshaft, and foxtail-like fronds, that the 3rd and 4th are a socratea.

Venice, FL(Zone 10a)

The spiny stilter looks to be a shaded out Verschafelttia that never sees wind. These exhibit little color. Same goes for the indoor Socratea - they put out much more blue in a natural habitat. Excellent palms though!

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

if you think that palm is a Socratea, which I do, too, why did you enter it in the Plantfiles as Ptychosperma caryotoides?

Brooksville, FL

Fixed!

Oceanside, CA(Zone 9b)

I just looked up Socratea in the Plantfiles. What a crazy palm! When I ID'd the photo, Ptychosperma caryotoids was the closest visual I could connect. It's aerial root looked strange, but my Pacaya palm has ones almost that odd.

Was their a final pronouncement on the first image, the one I called a Pinnaga kuhli? It was the one that seeds were collected from. (knowing I ID'd one correctly would boost my fragile ego a bit)

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

I'd say that was a good guess, though I prefer the name P coronata (same thing)

Brooksville, FL

Thanks for all your help guys

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

the first one actaully looks like Areca trianda to me.

Alan

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

leaves too wide and crownshaft wrong color for A triandra, not to mention the inflorescence looks exactly like Pinanga coronata... so I will stay with the first guess

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.