Bletilla...growing it from seed- can you help me?

Lachine, MI

Hello! Is there someone out here who has knowledge on growing bletilla from seed?
Are there any special requirements?
Is it just broadcast on the soil?
Please help. I have wanted this plant for a long time and someone has offered seed to me...
Thank you so very much in advance.
Sandy

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

Hi Sandy, I found this place that sells medium for different orchid seeds: http://members.cox.net/ahicks51/osp/Site_Catalog/media_information/media_information.html

Someone else posted on the other garden site:
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/seed/msg0621061820508.html?1

I may try my hand at starting orchids (not bletilla though) from seed. Phytotech.com has lots of media, flasks, and technical info too; I didn't check their site for you.
Good luck! I love terrestrial orchids, I have 2 right now.

Lachine, MI

bbinj, thank you so very much for the information- i will check it all out and good luck to you also in your growing!
Sandy

Port Orchard, WA(Zone 8a)

Sandy, Forest Farm has Bletilla striata, 3 varieties. they come in gal size. I've been very happy with mine. I saved seed from one of the blooms this year and hand sewed the seed. I'll let you know if they germinate. the seed is super fine. Jim

Lachine, MI

Thank you HostaJim- and plmk how it works...we can compare notes!
Sandy

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

I'd be interste d in knowing how your seeds do too Jim. I gathered a bunch of pods and have the seed sitting in the fridge til I too figure out the best way to germinate these babies.

They look to be not any easy one to do.

Port Orchard, WA(Zone 8a)

Sandy, starlight153, they are probably difficult to germinate, but thought I'll just sow them insitu and mark the area with a ring ( us 1 gal rubber pots that I cut the top 2 inches off and pin it down with garden pins and put a labeled plant marker so I know what it is). we'll see. I might get some Calanthe orchids from Naylor Creek at the Seattle garden show. I have to read up on them first. Jim King

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.