Are there any winter moths in Montana?

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I have planted Hamamelis 'Arnolds Promise' here in zone 4b-5 and I am wondering how they (if survive) will get pollinated? Do we have any winter moths?

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

clothes moths?

perhaps the Lunesta Moth will visit?

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Hey I want to try that Lunesta Moth. I like sleeping soundly. No I wonder if we have any winter bugs out there?

Denver, CO

Witchhazels... Hmmm. There are those wee winter gnats, I think you've seen them. Hamamellis are from china and the ozarks, if that helps. Maybe displaced hillbillies pollenate them.
What about early (terrestrail) bees? Not early enough?

Mourning Cloak butterflies fly on warm winter days, even with snow, I'm told.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Well I am going to get my buzz on and polinate them myself. I origionally started this in bugs but no body knew the answer either. So terry moved me to the rocky mountain site.

Denver, CO

An unreliable source said they are pollenated by "winter Moths". This link talks about the ozark witchhazel and the pollenators:

http://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/woodland/plants/witch_hazel.htm

I can't find anything about Hamamelis that bloom in say, February.

Denver, CO

You might just have to do it yourself, Steve. The one I planted at our local botanical bloomed in Early February, and only one seed pod formed. It disappeared before I could collect it.

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

Steve - my Hm. is blooming its heart away - I have been outside the past few days (dry & sun is out - yay!) & have not seen anything flying at all. The temperature has ranged in the low teens to a balmy 55°, but I have observed no bugs at all.
remember to take off your deer jammies prior to putting your buzz on...

This message was edited Jan 30, 2007 7:27 AM

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Yes I know that I will get the bloom but I want to develope a hearty Hamamelis for the zone 4Bers. I will have to go to Dirr to know when the female will be ready to pollinate. OK do I use a different bush or can I use the same bush to collect the pollen. How do you know the guy part is ready? I suppose it is evident by the protrusion of the stamen out of the flower.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

I have bees & they fly any day it is warm enough to leave the hive. There have been frozen days when they came back bearing pollen & I was puzzled as heck about where they found it. Maybe somebody else's witch hazel?

Sofer, I'm a Montana native, albeit one of those who are the reason for the state's continual population drop. Did college in Missoula, still spend LOTS of time in Bigfork & Big Mountain.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.