wolfberry & goji berry

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I have a few questions about these two.

Are they the same thing?

I've heard of the chinese wolfberry vine. is it the same thing as the goji berry bush? or is it a vine?

anybody here growing these?

KNow where to find any plants at?

I think I found the chinese wolfberry vine, was looking to find out if it's the same thing as the goji berry.

All the internet searching has confused me.

kathy

Saint Clair Shores, MI(Zone 6b)

I'm growing it (I believe).

I got cuttings from another g-web member a couple years ago. It rooted easily and it is a shrub, but I can see how it could be called vine-like. The stems often grow so quickly that they fall and end up hanging on other plants.

The flowers are the same as the ones I've seen online for Goji, but they bloomed very late for me this summer (fall actually) and I have yet to try the fruit (I'm hoping next year).

I have seen them for sale at Burnt Ridge Nursery ($10.00) a plant.

As far as I can tell, Goji plants are either a variety grown in the mountains or a clever marketing name. The material online is very confusing. As far as why its called Matrimony Vine, I have no idea.

~Chills

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Well, I emailed a person on ebay and this is what he told me, they are two diff plants, very similar berries, one more potent than the other and one is a vine (chinese wolfberry )

There are two principal types of Goji berry. The first type is called Lycium chinense which grows mainly in the Hebei province in China. The berries are small, orange to light red in color and have many seeds. The Lycium chinense is sometimes referred to as the Chinese wolfberry, matrimony vine or Chinese boxthorn. These have medicinal quality, but not near the quality as the second type.

The second and the most important Goji grows in various regions of Asia such as Tibet and Inner Mongolia. This is referred to by the scientific name lycium barbarum and is considered the true Goji berry. Among these geographic areas where Lycium Barbarum is grown, there is disagreement over who has the original Goji berry that was used in traditional Himalayan medicine. In Tibet alone there are 42 different Goji berries that are grown there and the nutritional value varies greatly.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.