Best seed starting flats?

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 6b)

Has anyone here used those Bio Dome kits from Parks? Usually I just use the cheap plastic flats with square inserts, but I have been thinking of trying the Parks thing this year, as I lost a lot of my seedlings last year while transplanting. I think the individual sponges would help- just plant the whole thing in my containers this spring. But they're a lot more expensive, and I'm trying to decide if the extra expense is worth it. If I got more healthy seedlings, it would- anyone used these, or anything similar? Thanks in advance-
Samantha

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I mainly grow in the BioDomes for perennials...bigger cells....and then I use the ParkStarts smaller and much less expensive ones for annuals....I always order plenty of refills to use again.........they are the only way to go as far as I am concerned. The biggest thing to remember is to give them plenty of light and start opening those tops of the bio domes the minute they are germinated (which will vary in one tray)...I sometimes let mine get leggier than they should because there is a thin line between taking the domes off too much and not enough...now that I have you thoroughly confused, go for it ...............you will love............a spoiled one's way to propagating. I am even going to try some cuttings in those big cell ones (the 60cell tray) this spring.
For some reason the little parkstarts which were the original ones Park offered are not online but they are in the catalog......I have the catalog and could scan and send to you if you give me an email address.

This message was edited Jan 20, 2007 1:45 PM
the only mistake I made was in using tiny tiny seeds and putting on the top of the peat sponge...don't waste your money on these for Larkspur, poppy, etc...just use a 38 cell tray and a soilless mix....

This message was edited Jan 20, 2007 1:51 PM
I also meant to tell you that these trays and biodomes are made of a brittle plastic so you have to be easy with them......for the Park Start, I use the permanest trays and domes...the trays run about 6.50 each and the domes run 4 for 9.95

This message was edited Jan 20, 2007 2:53 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.