anyone propagated like this?

Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

i live in NJ and ivy on the ground, i believe its english ivy, but not positive, anyway, it grows rampant here, and i tried taking some cuttings like this after i found this method online. never saw this kind of propagation before...then again i'm very new at this. i'll post pics of the plant cuttings in pot and growth in my journal. i used rooting hormone and put it in 2" pot with soil.
stephanie

Leaf-bud Cuttings

Leaf-bud cuttings (Figure 2) provide an excellent means of propagating many vine-type foliage plants such as heart-leaf philodendron, devil's ivy and grape ivy and can be used for large-leaved plants like rubber plant. Single-eye cuttings are taken from plants with alternate leaves and have only one leaf and one axillary bud per cutting. Double-eye cuttings are taken from plants with opposite leaves, and have two leaves and buds per cutting. A leaf-bud cutting need not consist of a complete stem section. With rubber plant, a leaf and small section of stem tissue are usually taken; cuttings of this type are sometimes refereed to as "heel cuttings."

Thumbnail by sjonesartist
Union City, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks I copied and pasted . A lot of times it's easier to just post bookmark .
When I find something like this I copy and paste into a word processor and put in the website for future reference

Northeast Harbor, ME

This is how I propagate my impatiens too. You get a lot more plants this way!

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Sometimes you need to peg this type of cutting to stop it rolling over. Ivy is ok but Philodendron and stuff can rot off if they are planted to deep so they can be pegged with wire on the surface.
To be honest over here ivy roots even if you plant it upside down! lol

Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

thats interesting mike, i guess thats how the diagram shows it too, with the stem very close to the surface. I put mine about 1" down. the leaves are about a cm above the soil. maybe i should change that beffore they start rooting (i started it on the 19th.)

buckthrone- it seemed like an extremely easy way to get many plants. stephanie

Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

update, this is the picture i put 3 using this cutting method in a 2" pot.
stephanie

Thumbnail by sjonesartist
Cordele, GA

I have seen this done. I have also seen people actually root a leaf without realizing that the bud was needed. It is frustrating to realize that you have a rooted leaf that will always be just a rooted leaf.

Beth

Ottawa, KS(Zone 5b)

Beth,

In the case of African Violets, the leaf alone can create new plants, and that is a common method of propagation.

MM

Fulton, MO

Heucheras are a slam dunk with this method.

SB

Cordele, GA

Yes, I am familiar with leaf cuttings from several types of plants. In the case of some, such as sanseveria and streprocarpus, one leaf can yield several cuttings which will develop into new plants. It is just amusing to see a single rooted leaf that remains a single rooted leaf for ever and ever. Rather like rooting a lateral branch from a Norfolk Island pine and watching it continue to grow out and down rather than up, as you might expect. Some times plants have their own agendas.

Beth

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

stressbaby, thanks for the tip about heucheras... I've got some I'd like to share with my MIL, but I haven't had much luck trying to get little divisions from them. I'll give this a try!

Fulton, MO

Critter,

I use a mister, peat:perlite, one leaf per cell, with an little chunk of stem at the base of each leaf, rooting powder or IBA quick dip. Another way I have done it is to prepare the leaves the same way, and strike them in left over 1 gal liners, 3-4 to a pot, in compost, cover with 1 gal ziplock baggie, and put them in the shade.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Covering with something to retain humidity is a lot easier than misting, I think... Sounds like I can do it much the same way I do other cuttings. Thanks for LMK the rooting hormone helps on these (there are a few plants where I think it actually slows down the process).

I'll be out getting cuttings as soon as the rain stops pouring down!

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Hey! Critter! I did a search for leaf cuttings and who should come up but my best bud! Did you have luck with method this on your Heuchera?

Stressbaby, What time of year does this work the best, do you think? How much of the leaf is actually under the perlite? I also see you have used compost, it this the bacteria-ridden compost I have outside in my compost pile, or purchased, bagged compost?

Thanks!

Suzy

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

With the Heuchera, I managed to separate a little crown (no roots, as usual, despite my efforts to get a piece with roots).. potted it, covered it to keep in a little extra humidity, and it actually did root. I still want to try heel cuttings!

Good to know! I still want to hear from Stressbaby on how old the leaves need to be to do this, young or mature, and then what time of year is the best time to make the strikes.

Thanks, Critt!

Suzy

Fulton, MO

Suzy, it has worked for me from mid spring through July. I haven't tried any as late as August because I have worried about getting them through the winter.

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

You can do a lot of different plants with this methods among them roses :)

Stress, Thanks. On the compost in the gallon pots, do you use compost from the pile? Or bagged compost?

Is there any way I could con you into writing some directions for us in the Heuchera and Friends forum so we have it right there for easy access, please?

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/foamflowers/all/

Couuld you start a new post and walk us through it step by step with some more details, please???

I was going to do it, but I got bogged down in Step One. LOL!
1. Cut the leaf with some of the petiole...but tell us how much, is 1/4" enough? Also a young leaf, old leaf or mid-size leaf?

Thanks!!!

Suzy

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Good grief, I guess I had this thread in my head last night... I had a dream of being in some sort of conservatory and seeing this really amazing philo, like 'Pink Princess' but much fancier... I notice that it had been damaged, and somebody had knocked off a leaf... sure enough, the leaf had a piece of stem attached! I surreptitiously stuff it into my pocked and started heading back to the car. I guess I felt a little guilty, though, because you know how sometimes your clothing seems to change in your dreams? Now I'm making my way back through the arboretum pathways, wearing my fluffy pink bathrobe, with the leaf tucked into the pocket. By the time I reached the car, I don't think I was wearing much, LOL... but I had that leaf! Dedicated, or deranged? ;-)d

Fulton, MO

Critter, that's funny.

Suzy, feel free to paste this over there in a new thread if it would be helpful.

Start with a stem that you have cut off, pruned out, or gotten from a division. Use usual cutting procedure, cut with a clean, sharp knife. You can divide it into pieces as small as a single leaf. If using a single leaf, try for what I would say is something between a "bit" and a "chunk" of stem on the petiole. 1/4" is plenty. Less will do. You can use larger cuttings, sections of stem with several leaves. If you have a lot of leaf surface area, the cutting will dessicate...you need to snip off about 1/2 of the distal leaf. Dip the exposed portion of the stem in rooting powder or use an IBA quickdip. I think I usually use 250-500 ppm IBA. Then strike the cutting.

I use a mist bench in the GH now. Those cuttings go in a prewetted 50/50 mix of peat and perlite and generally aren't watered again until potting up. I use those seed starting cells you get at ACE hardware. Fill the cells, wet thoroughly, then refill because after wetting, the mix will settle. Once thoroughly wetted, stick a pencil in the mix and make a hole. put the end of the cutting in the hole and gently compress the mix around the cutting. Don't water again. The mist is on somewhere between every 6-20 minutes for 10-20 seconds, depending on the time of year, outside temp, cloud cover that day. The mist is set to stop 2 hours before sundown so the foliage dries a little bit. I have 50% shade cloth in the GH so they always have at least that much shade.

As for the compost, I used well-rotted compost from the pile, prewetted. Using a pencil, as before, make a hole and compress the mix around the cutting. 1 gal ziplocks fit perfectly around a 1 gal liner, so cover the pot and place in shade...not half shade, full shade. Even in deep shade, these cuttings will dry out, so you have to water them. I water from below, dipping the pot in a 5 gal bucket of water. This way I don't have to disturb the baggies on the tops of the liners.

These are generic instructions for cuttings which will work well for lots of different plants. Here is a pic of the mist bench. If you look closely you may see some single leafed purple heucheras toward the left. You will also see how, when striking cuttings with multiple leaves, the leaves are cut back to reduce transpirational water losses.

Thumbnail by stressbaby
Ottawa, KS(Zone 5b)

Critter,

You could always use the leaf like Eve did. (grin)

MM

MM, ROTFLOL!

Stressbaby, thanks so much!!!! That is so helpful! You rock!

Suzy

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

Oooh, I've just been wishing I had more of a particular heuchera, but haven't seen that color again anywhere. I'm going to try this!

I've never used the rooting hormone. Is it pretty widely available? Anything I should know?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.