WS in Coventry, RI (Zone 6)

Coventry, RI(Zone 6a)

I just fell upon this thread yesterday and I spent last evening on my computer doing more research on this. I attempted seed starting last year. My DH made me a plant stand with grow lights out of pvc piping with a timer on it. I lost everything to damping off. So when I saw this...hmmmmm!!!

If you've been sucessful in zone 6 with WS, please share with me any info, pics, advice, etc.

I am so excited about this and will probably get busy this weekend. Thanks for help in advance.

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

Welcome! Browse around and read...you will find lots of people that were successful in your zone.

About your indoor system...I would suggest playing around with both methods. Your DH might be a little put off if you completely abandon the system that he built for you. The only indoor seed starting that I have ever done is with a few seeds on a windowsill, but I am sure there are plenty of others that can help with your damping off problem.

- Brent

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

RE: damping off indoors...Make sure you use a medium specifically for seed starting and make sure they have good air circulation. Some people use a gentle fan. I've also read where people water with very diluted H2O2. hth, Tamara

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

carbo, I had the same problems in years past with seed starting indoors. Last year I got meticulous about sterilization; bleached pots, work surface and tools before hand, sterilized my medium (even though it is sold as sterile, the bags have holes in them), and watered with H2O2 solution (1/2 cup per gallon of water). I had no problems with damping off, but still plan to add a fan to the grow room too.
Good luck!
Neal

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

My poor attempts at seed starting indoors always resulted in damp off, too. A complete loss.

Last winter was my first attempt at WSing. I am in zone 6, and my WSing results were amazing. I had more plants than I knew what to do with from my 80 WSed containers. And while I have always been healthy, I was doomed with bad health issues in most of 2006. I had a neuropathy in one leg beginning in January, it resulted in a BAD ankle sprain in April, followed 3 major abdominal surgeries from April thru September. I was on disability for 10 months, a first in my 30 year career . Even with all of this going on, my flowers thrived! They thrived on my husband's meager efforts at yard maintenance while working, taking care of me and the house and everything else. You can't imagine how well this method works, and our zone 6 climate is just about perfect for it, I think.

You could still use your indoor system for beautiful houseplants and well as vegetative propagation of cuttings and the like, or overwintering tender outdoor plants inside. I'd like to have one for that use alone!

If you haven't done so, check out Trudi's site at wintersown.org
http://wintersown.org/

We'd like to have you onboard. If you try it out you won't be sorry.

Karen

Huntington, WV(Zone 6a)

I'm a zone 6er. Wintersowing is great. No more indoor germination for me - my wintersown plants were much healthier.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Quoting:
my wintersown plants were much healthier

Truer words were never spoken! Plus, it frees up so much indoor space too!

Coventry, RI(Zone 6a)

Thanks so much everyone for your encouragement. Usually after SuperBowl, I go into football withdrawal. As far as I'm concerned, spring can begin the Monday after the final game. This will be a new project that will help me through my withdrawal symptoms!

My DH and I have a new area in the yard that we're going to attack this spring. In our old age, we're trying to reduce the amount of lawn and fill the balance with flower beds. This particular site will get only about 3-4 hrs of noontime sun and the remainder of the day will be shaded. The more I read about shade gardening, the more excited I get. My plan is begin my shade perenials by WS and see what happens.

Any suggestions for type of plants aside from the usual hostas?

Have a great day everyone!

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Shade in New England? Astilbe, Solomon's Seal, and Bleeding Hearts come to mind, but you probably thought of those already

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Columbine, digitalis, l

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.