Have You Started Your Winter Sowing?

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

This is the my first time to winter sow and I have started quite a few already, I hope they servive,
Ageratum
Antirrhinum / Snapdragons
Aquilegia / Columbine
Cleome
Dianthus
Digitalis / Foxglove
Echinacea / Coneflowers
Foxglove
Gaillardia
Hibiscus
Alyssum

I still have lots more to start and with the limited space I have in my kitchen I can only do so many each day... Right now all my containers are on my front deck, I am going to be shifting them to the back yard anyday now :o)

What are you going to WS this year?

Connie

Thumbnail by pepsidrinker
Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

We're going to Flordia for the month of March.
I'm debating whether or not to start some seeds before I go or wait until early April.
I always start my tomatoes too early anyway. I think they'll be enough time until I transplant the middle of May.

My daughter and garndaughter are going to stop by twice a week to water my cuttings, and overwintering plants

Paul

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

I want do do some tomatoes to but I am going to wait till later on to start those, I don't have a GH or room in the house to start anything. Thats why when I heard about WSing I jumped on the ban wagon :o) I have alot of garden beds (about 9) that we (dh and I) are going to be doing in the spring, and he also wants to redo in front of the house and our turn around.
I am also putting in a garden bed at our Church (where he Pastors).
I am going to be doing a WSing project with our youth group there. They all seem pretty excited about it and the parents too. The garden bed for the Church will go the whole length on one side around 70' long and its about 5' wide. (Picture below) We are going to purchase 4 or 5 of the big flower pots and plant flowers in them and in between them. I have never done container pots b4, so I am doing some research on what to grow in them... All in all we have our work cut out for us this Spring...

Connie

Thumbnail by pepsidrinker
Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

We finished doing a garden at our church last fall.
Its was 1400 square feet. It was a lot of work but we really enjoyed doing it.

We had a paver walk installed and folks can buy bricks to commorante life events.
It helps defray costs of the garden.

Paul

This message was edited Jan 17, 2007 9:59 AM

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh waht a neat idea :o)

Connie

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Connie, so far all I've done is one container of clematis. I've tried them before and they've never come up, but I'd really like to get this one.

I will list as I do several more. Usually I only start about 5 with winter sowing.
Your ageratum and alyssum should do great! Mine always do.
I'm terrible, I always start a couple of even my WS'ing plants inside in Feb so I have a couple of them blooming earlier. Then the WS'ing ones bloom the 2nd round!

I have some Japanese maple tree seeds I'm thinking of WS'ing. We will see.

By the way, your very tidy with your WS'ing bottles ... great picture!
sharon

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks Sharon :o)

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i dont know if it makes a difference-but when i did mine last yr i had the caps on top of the jugs?
you go girl-go girl!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.