Permanest Supplier

Burlingame, CA(Zone 9a)

I've been looking around for a cheap online source for permanest trays and came across this supplier. Only problem is they are not listed in the DG directory.

http://www.growstuffplus.com/IBS/SimpleCat/Product/asp/hierarchy/0406/product-id/323861.html

Has anyone had any experience with them or can recommend another supplier.

TIA

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I have used Perma Nest trays for over 15 years and love them ( using the humidity domes of course)...Park seed offers them in the catalog (not on line...they want you to buy the Bio Domes on line...I am still a little "put out" over that...thinking that they no longer offered the Perma Nest trays and domes) I hadn't gardened in several years ....then when I got the catalog there they were (made me a little madder)LOL. The prices listed are: 22x11x21/2" are 2 for 12.95 and the humidity domes domes are offered in sets of 4 for 9.95. The reason I like them better than anything else that Park offers is that the quality of the trays will last through many growing years. The Bio Domes they offer now are flimsy as are the trays that come with them and don't last even though the Dome is high, who needs it????? I don't.. Another item that Park doesn't want you to know about are their original Park-Starts with watering trays...You order in multiples of 3 (starts 54 plants) for 6.95.....they have smaller cylinders of pasteurized disease free peat moss...........Now I am only going to use the Bio dome with 60 giant cylinders for large perennial seeds or cuttings. I loved the perma nest trays so much because you could use any kind of insert you wanted.
Remember that the pictures are not on line and just in the catalog....thanks for this new website. I will look to see what the shipping fees are. Park charges more for shipping than anyone else i know...recently placed an order of 218.00 and the shipping added the bill up to over 370.00...............they whack you with shipping even though they replace anything without question that you are unhappy about..broken item,etc.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

I got some PermaNest trays at this place last year. Now that I have a few, I don't find them any more useful than the cheaper black trays with humidity cover and peat pellets you can pick up at the big 3. The PermaNest trays are hard plastic so they are more rigid for carrying plants without buckling but they can also crack very easily. I was hoping they were more of a blend of rubber and plastic so they would be almost indestructible. Enough said.

http://www.growerssolution.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PermaNest&Category_Code=new

Burlingame, CA(Zone 9a)

Growers Solution came up when I googled permanest, but I cross checked them in the Watchdog and they have a less than stellar rating. The black plastic trays drive me crazy. Even filled with soil they buckle and bend every which way so I'm willing to try anything else.

Betty - ouch, that shipping bill must have hurt. I have the Parks catalogue in front of me. The prices are more reasonable than I had thought but thanks for the heads up about their shipping. I don't need any humidity domes, but might look into the Seed flats and larger permanest trays. Up until now I've been using the APS system from Gardeners Supply and while it's worked well in the past the styrofoam breaks easily and the capillary matting has changed and is no longer as effective.

Thanks for the info.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

There is probably better trays than perma nest so if you find any, please post.

Burlingame, CA(Zone 9a)

I sure will.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I don't think I would worry even if they are not on DG's site....be sure to check the shipping. I love Park Seed supplies, but their shipping is too high. The site you mentioned is about what park seeds is. The last permanest trays I ordered from Park many years ago lasted more than 10 years without a crack or a break.
They never wore out....I just moved and left them behind. BooHoo

This message was edited Jan 18, 2007 1:18 PM

Burlingame, CA(Zone 9a)

Betty - I ended up buying from Parks. I ordered the permanest and the park-starts online. There is a quick catalogue entry on their webpage where you can enter the catalogue number. It shows in the shopping cart without a picture. I'm beginning to think that shipping is where all online e-tailers make their money now. The bargains of the early years just don't seem to be around as much anymore.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

thanks wgnkiwi.....I am still waiting on my permanest trays I ordered over a month ago from Parks...????

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.