What two hot peppers should I grow?

Buffalo, NY

I'm going to be planting two varieties of hot peppers next year.
We like to make salsa, hot sauces, and tacos.
I don't have much room for them to spread.
I assume I would want one mildly hot and one very hot.
There are SO many types to chose from.
What two types should I grow?

Phoenix, AZ

Well, I wonder how hot you consider 'very' hot....hmm....if I were to choose just 2 peppers to grow, it'd be jalapenos for salsa's, etc...and then something like anaheim because they are sooo yummy to roast with garlic & potatoes. Habaneros are pretty hot, but I don't think their flavor is as good as jalapenos. Good luck!
~Kim

Missouri City, TX

Jalapeno or serrano for heat (but not too much) and poblano for chili rellano.

If you want more heat and can't devote much space, I can send you some chili pequin seed.

Got my plant as a gift in an 8" pot - was producing when it was just a foot tall. Put it in the ground - now about 30" in all directions - it produced over 200 1/4" peppers a week. Probably will "bite the dust" with the freeze tonight.

We crush the dried ones and add a few to almost everything we cook at home.

Springfield, MO(Zone 6a)

I like Bubba's suggestions too.

Jalapeņos are very prolific, and I regularly smoke them into chipoltes. Hmmmm, good. You can adjust "heat" by how you prepare them. If you remove the inner walls (the white part) you also remove much of the heat. I also like them pickled in an "empty" jar of pickle brine.

The Poblano (the dried fruit) is also known as Ancho (the plant). They produce a very mild heart-shaped fruit that wrinkles to a dark red/brown color and is indeed great for making mole (MOH-lay). Great flavor. I also like to use them in Chili.
Dave.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.