Wintersown Sprouts in January!

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

What's germinated this month? If you can post some pictures, that would be great!

1. Black Peony Poppies
2. Helleborus, 'Gold Bullion' - just 1 itty bitty seedling so far...

This is my ornamental cabbage.

Thumbnail by nikki_conway

This is Scarlet Scabiosa.

Snowflake Candytuft

One more, but it's blurry. Dianthus arctic fire.

Those baby sprouts look terrific, nikki!

Here is Poppy, 'Black Peony'. They look like shoots of grass to me.

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

Helleborus, 'Gold Bullion' - just 1 itty bitty seedling so far. Can you see that green sprout?

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

Here is Verbascum, 'Southern Charm' that finally germinated. It just goes to show you that you shouldn't toss out containers that haven't germinated from the previous year....they still might surprise you!

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

Soooo cool! Waiting a 2nd yr would be really hard for me! Well, they did peep through chicken grit, for future fungus gnat problems. I have DE too. I don't think I've had as many problems when something is outside, though now that I think about it, do you?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Shirley: I sowed So. Charm last year, all germinated and bloomed their heads off all summer. They were among my favorites of my WS flowers. I hope they survive their first winter.

Karen

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Will try to follow up with photos later if a) DH brings home the camera from work or b) I actually *find* my camera, it's charging bed and/or batteries:

Sprouting for me already are:

Poppy mix
Blue flax
Chinese larkspur
Victoria Blue sage
Lanceleaf Coreopsis
Coreopsis Sea Shells
Nasturtium Jewel Mix
Nasturtium Mix
Texas Bluebonnets
Polidor Cosmos

The nasturtiums are HUGE, everyone else is pretty tiny so far. But they are GROWING! :D

~Sunny

I guess my Verbascum is being a slow poke. Some seeds might be older, not as viable and just take a bit longer, but still well worth the wait.

You've got a lot of seeds germinating, Sunny! Fantastic!! Please show pictures when you can. I need to get busy and sow some Nasturtium. I really enjoyed the ones in my garden last year.

York, PA

My Allium flavum tauricum (fragrant allium, mixed colors) has sprouted. It was supposed to need warm/cold/warm but germinated in 2 weeks warm only. I'm going to put it outside today and keep my fingers crossed that some survive the winter. Why does it feel like murder?? LOL

Shirley - How long ago did you sow the hellebore?

I'm amazed at all the sprouts everyone has already! Good luck everyone and keep us posted on how the little ones are doing.

Joanne

Joanne: Congrats on getting your Allium to germinate so quickly. Please let us know how the Allium seedlings do outside.

I sowed Helleborus "Gold Bullion" at the end of December. I think that one seedling was an 'eager beaver'. It should be interesting to see how it does throughout the Winter. However, Hellebores love the cold and a lot of them begin to flower just as winter starts and through out early Spring.

York, PA

Shirley - Hellebores are my favorite and I'm happy to hear they germinate with Wsing. I ordered a bunch of plants from the hellebore co-op because I wasn't sure if any of my seeds would actually sprout. I would be in heaven if even 1/4 germinate for me! I agree that your seedling should be just fine over the winter... congrats!

Joanne

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

hollyhocks that sprouted a couple weeks ago coming thru a weeks worth of below freezing night temps.

P

Thumbnail by bigred
Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

annual phlox"Twinkle"

Thumbnail by bigred
Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

blurry but these are foxgloves just sprouted earlier last week.

P

Thumbnail by bigred
Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

shasta daisies"Miss Muffet"

P

Thumbnail by bigred
Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

newly sewn tray of pre-sprouted columbines

P

Thumbnail by bigred
Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

columbine "Woodside Variegata: sewn much early...they'll be ready to be dibbled out into pony packs by mid-Feb.

P

Thumbnail by bigred
Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

looking down the length of the bench of WS seeds

Thumbnail by bigred
Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Well, I now feel totally outdone...LOL!!! How big is your yard bigred? 40 Acres? I have some friends that live in Leslie, AR. They keep trying to get us to move up there - just one problem, no jobs! But it sure is a slice of heaven - especially a little town called Mountain View that I went to in order to hear some good ol' fiddlin'. I'm looking forward to another visit in the future.

Oh, my columbines haven't sprouted. Do they need soaking or nicking and I overlooked it?

Thanks for sharing!
~Sunny

bigred: Cute lookin' sprouts. You're going to have LOTS of Columbine plants. Are you planning to plant them out, give some away or trade them?

Sunny: No need to soak or nick Columbine seeds. The constant thawing & freezing will crack their seed coats open and allow them to germinate. Not to worry! They do beautifully with wintersowing.

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the reassurance Shirley. The Columbines, one set of Polidor and the Helenium are my slow pokes on the first round. Everybody else except my mystery seed container are going like gangbusters!

~Sunny

Sunny; that's so wonderful to hear. I hope they all keep growing like gangbusters.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

sunny,
I only have an acre and half in yard and 3 veg. gardens,I trade on gardening forums,donate some to city projects,do farmers market .I also am a hobby grower,retailing and wholesaling localy to make money to support my gardening habit and desire to have every plant I see that has a chance growing in my hot and humid summers..

P

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

You sure do well on only 1.5 acres bigred! I still haven't figured out how to make this pay for itself...lol.

I have mater sprouts today...yay!

~Sunny

You've got tomato sprouts already?! WOW! Congratulations!

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Well, they aren't WS sprouts. Indoor starts. But it's still a sprout!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

You southerners are just showing off early, trying to make us jealous. But our current weather makes me glad I didn't start sowing during our freaky December and early January warm weather. It's snowing now, 17 degrees tonight, and staying cold for at least the next 10 days. If I had sprouts out there now I'd be smacking myself.

I am jealous of that greenhouse, though!

Karen

(Zone 6a)

Ahh, I just have to jump in here.......I am envious of all your sprouts here, it'll probably be at least another month before we get any up 'north' here.... I love looking at all the pics!!!

You know they have a southern saying when a southerner is trying to "show off!"..."putting on the dauwwg!" We always cracked up when my dear Aunt would drawl that saying out LOL!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

It is fun- kind of like looking at baby pictures. But I honestly don't want to see any babies out there for months. Too cold up here!

Karen

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Bigred, is your GH heated? I am new to winter sowing and thought if they grew tiny leaves and then got a late snow it would kill everything. I am starting pansies, I know they can take the cold weather.
What do you think about the garden domes with little peat pots? Pros and cons. I was at Lowes yesterday but didn't buy any.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Sorry gang,
I've been off-line for over a week...insert twitches,jerks and the shakes here for withdrawal.
I have 1.5 aces of yard w/one med-size veg.garden..the other veg. gardens...one across the road apx.1/4 acre or tad larger and another one just up the road behind our pasture probably a little over an acre. The one here in the yard is for our personal use the other ones are personal use and farmers market produce and pick-your-own

I have two 20x40 greenhouses,neither heated. I started seeds back in Dec. in them and will continue to sew seeds up until end of May. Take a break during the heat of the summer until end of Aug. or mid-Sept to start more perennials and biennals. I can't do pansies for fall because of our heat.

I've also been know to leave plants sitting out all winter with little or know ill effects except for neighborhood pets and other wild animals so That's the reason I quit doing outdoor winter sewing.

P

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

(Sunny packs up and moves in next to Bigred to share in all that land....and to help with the work of course)

No critters in mine (yet), and the Nasturtiums that fared badly one night seemed to have bounced back some with a little coddling. I guess I'll find out what freezing temps mixed with sleet does this week, as that's what we're in for Wednesday night.

I'm sure DH will have to tie me to a chair or something to keep me from dashing out and hauling them all into the garage!!

As Shirley says, the strong will survive!

~Sunny

Glad to read that your Nasties have bounced back. They'll be fine, true troopers.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.