Chrysanthemum Seeds - Help Me!

Jefferson, GA(Zone 7b)

I am new to all of this and just bought my first house this past summer. I have become addicted to gardening and this site.
I went out today and popped the heads off of my mums. I know they are dry enough because they are crunchy. Now where is the seed? Which part is the seed? What does it look like? I havn't a clue what I am looking for. Someone help me!

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

I have never seen seed on mums. I planted mine from plants, and they come back from the root system every year. In your zone, I would say that it should be the same there. With the unusual weather we are having, I have some that are already coming up. So just watch the ground around where the plant was. Sometimes if you buy them from the florist, they are not hardy, meaning they won't come back. So if it doesn't come back, buy others this fall that are hardy to your area. I have had some for about 13 years that come back year after year.

Jefferson, GA(Zone 7b)

I am pretty sure I have the hardy kind and I was able to make more from cuttings. However, I have some people that want the seeds and I know that mums do get seeds. I have seen them for sale before. I wanted the seeds because they are easier to mail and because I can't keep cutting the heck out of the few that I have.

Jefferson, GA(Zone 7b)

Sorry, I mean I have seen mum seeds for sale but never actually saw the seeds inside.

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

I am sure that there are seed available. Most places will sell you plugs, but have no expeprience with the prepackaged seeds. Even if you have seeds, it would take all season for them to germinate, and grow, and I doubt very seriously that they would bloom the first year. This is all IMHO.

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

I have been spreading a varity of mums around my place, but have never seen seed, and if I did I wouldn't expect it to be true to plant.But I'm open to learning,because they must have seed????Mike

Tuckahoe, NY

Hi,
I haven't seen seeds yet in the typical double flowered mums, but Korean mums produce plenty of seed (and self sown seedlings). The seed is relatively small, maybe an eighth of an inch long, and contained in the "disk" of the flower (center part). Seeds are somewhat bullet shaped, not flat like zinnias. They would be located just below the remanants of the disk florets and at the base of the "petals" which, in the daisy family, are really individual mini flowers.
Crunch up the dried flower centers over typing paper, gently blow off the chaff, and see if somewhat heavier oval objects remain behind, if so, you've got seeds.
Good luck,
Ernie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.