Need iris pictures for mental health!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I have enjoyed everyone's pictures so much during this cold, snowy January and it will be a couple of months before even our crocus start to bloom. If anyone has any more pretty iris pictures, I would love to see them. If you have the name, great, but even if you don't I would really enjoy seeing flower, especially iris, pictures to keep my spirits up as I wait for spring. All I see right now is snow, leafless trees and evergreens. Thanks! Hope you won't be shy about showing your pictures.
Betty

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

HI Betty,

Here are a few seedling pictures I took this past spring at the IRIS Convention. They are not introduced yet - - (so they are not named irises) and may never be introduced.........................but they indicate the future of irises if they are ever introduced in the years to come.

#1 (click to see a larger size of this image)

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

#2 (click to see a larger size of this image)

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

What may be fun - - is to see what everyone's favorites are.

#3 (click to see a larger size of this image)

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

#4 (click to see a larger size of this image)

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

#5 (click to see a larger size of this image)

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Oh, thank you Margie, those are beautiful and help me feel better about the miles of snow I see around me. I have some nice ones under that snow blanket but I can't even see any greenery on most of them. I love all the ruffles and color variation in both of those seedlings. And I love the Ghio irises you posted earlier. Looks to me like all these new trends in irises are going to cost me!

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Lovely though, aren't they? And maybe with any luck - - there can be trading of irises of new irises among many of us. :-)

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

#6 (click to see a larger size of this image)

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

#7 (click to see a larger size of this image)

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

#8 (click to see a larger size of this image)

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Favorites? Can I pick them all? No, that defeats the word favorite. If I have to pick a couple, it would be 1 and 5. What I like about them is the slow, almost imperceptible change of their colors across the flower. They aren't all one color, but you can't tell where their color changes. I like that. Plus the colors are wonderful.

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

I agree.....the colors and patterns are marvelous! It makes it hard to choose favorites...but it's fun trying. :-)

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

#9 (click to see a larger size of this image)

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Uh Oh. Seven and 8 seen to qualify as favorites along with 1 and 5. When the ground melts and after the blooms, I think I will have to get into trading -- something I haven't tried yet. These are very special.

Hmm yes, I agree. A looong time till we see any green poking through for spring. One of my favourites, Pink Frost.

Thumbnail by echoes
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

I'm hoping that most of these get introduced...........so we can purchase them in the first place. :-)

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Now 9 has to go shooting to the top of the favorites list. I love deep blue and then with white standards, the shaded bluish purple falls are stunning.

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

#10 (click to see a larger size of this image)

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Echoes,
Your weather is probably even colder than mine. I love Pink Frost. Is it one of those Japanese Iris that has to be planted near water?

I don't think it has to be planted near water as long as it gets watered enough, but yes it's a Japanese. I have it at the edge of my pond, and it seems quite happy there.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Number 10 is so eye catching it almost glows. Those colors really heighten each other. I too hope these get introduced. I will keep my eyes peeled for them. Especially number 9.

In order of preference, 5, 7, 1. Hard to pick, they are all beauties.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I haven't tried Japanese Iris yet. I don't have a pond and our weather is very dry most of the year. Anything that needs a lot of water will require a special place in my garden. But I can think of one or two. I have a sort of wet area in my front patio due to roof drainage. If I put a Japanese Iris in that area, it will probably stay moist most of the time.

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Echoes..........Pink Frost is so lovely!! I wish we could grow them here. We can grow Louisiana irises where we live.......which are also water loving/pond loving irises).

~ Margie

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

#11 (click to see a larger size of this image)

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

#12 (click to see a larger size of this image)

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

#13 (click to see a larger size of this image)

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

#14 (click to see a larger size of this image)

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Last one for today....................
#15 (click to see a larger size of this image)

Thumbnail by Margiempv

11 is a pretty one too Margie.

I babysat LAs a couple of winters ago. Was lucky enough to have two of them bloom under lights. Would have had a third if I hadn't trimmed the stalk off when I was cutting the leaves back. Just wasn't expecting any blossoms in the winter. Really like them, but no room to keep them in the house over winter.

Margie you're killin me.

Now my new favourite is 12

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

My favorites from these are #5 and #14.

~Margie

I would definately buy #5. It's pink, it's gorgeous, and it's different from the other pinks.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

I planted my first bearded and dutch irises this fall. How long until they look as beautiful as these (years?) and what do I need to do to care for them?

Cheers.
Seandor

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Okay, at this point, I would go for 5, 7 and 15 as my favorites, but I would not be disappointed with the others either. They are all wonderful. Hopefully some of them will become available in the not too distant future. If this is the way of the future in Irises, then I will have to enlarge my iris beds. So many beauties in the pipe line!

Oh, and thanks for some great iris pictures. I already feel happier. If anybody else has some, I would love to see them.

This message was edited Jan 14, 2007 10:43 AM

St Joseph, IL(Zone 5b)

Margie,
You made my day. Thanks for the pics.
Laura

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

Nbr 7 looks like one I ordered from Schreiner's: Crystal Gazer. I just planted it in August so it hasn't bloomed yet. I sure hope it looks as pretty as this one. Other than that, I did like #5, a very nice shade of pink.

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

I like 2 , 10, and 14.

Louisville, KY

Thanks Margie for some beautiful iris. My Favorites are 1, 6 and 9. You know youi think iris cant get any more beautiful than something like this comes along. Maybe the world is getting better. Nice faith restorer on a cold winter night.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.