Heros of Horticulture

Edgartown, MA(Zone 7a)

I came across this in the February issue of Garden Design magazine and thought this would be a great place to nominate your *hero* before you sent in your application.

"Do you know a significant tree, orchard, park planting or other horticultural feature that has almost miraculously demonstrated its ability to stand steadfast in the face of natural and cultural challenges and survived, even against all odds? To honor and help preserve our nation’s priceless horticultural heritage, the Cultural Landscape Foundation and Garden Design, presents the second annual Landslide List — Heroes of Horticulture."

http://www.tclf.org/landslide/2007/index.htm

Trun and I are currently in the sunshine state hoping to sell off some of our swamp land but I would like to nominate the Pagoda Tree in Edgartown Massachusetts, the history and photos (extremely cool...certain winner) will follow next week. kt

Eau Claire, WI

I may be missing the mark as to what a Hort Hero is, but I thought this grove of American Chestnuts was pretty cool none the less. I first heard about their existence in a book on Wisconsin historic trees by Madison arborist, Bruce Allison. They were planted around 1870, and many of them are in various stages of decline, but no blight to this point. I've since learned of a larger planting (around 2500) growing on sixty acres in La Crosse County, which is about 30 miles from those I looked at.

Thumbnail by Maackia
Eau Claire, WI

Pic #2

Thumbnail by Maackia
Eau Claire, WI

Pic #3

Thumbnail by Maackia
Eau Claire, WI

Pic #4

Thumbnail by Maackia
Edgartown, MA(Zone 7a)

Maakia,
I don't think your missing the mark at all I think this grove of American Chestnuts is not only very cool but a really strong contender. Trun and I are still in the Sunshine State and today I dragged him kicking and screaming to McKee Botanical Garden in Vero Beach Fla. I still believe the Pagoda Tree in Edgartown is the sure number one winner, but the following three photos describe an interesting tale of another contender. kt

Thumbnail by runktrun
Edgartown, MA(Zone 7a)

They trimmed the top off of this monster of a tree.

Thumbnail by runktrun
Edgartown, MA(Zone 7a)

This tree is located in your typical crowded botanical garden....amazing they were able to get the crane and digging equipment in to do the work.

Thumbnail by runktrun
Northeast Harbor, ME

There's a pretty fantastic Franklinia at the Arnold Arboretum you might want to check out. http://arnoldia.arboretum.harvard.edu/pdf/articles/665.pdf For that matter, there's the collection of Phelodendrons, Japanese Maples, Cladrastus, the list of heroes there just goes on and on.........

Edgartown, MA(Zone 7a)

Buckthorne,
I am a big fan of the Franklinia and the articles title "Against All Odds" seems to say it all. Can I play my "I am a fickle woman card" and switch teams? kt

Northeast Harbor, ME

Don't switch yet. If you fly into Boston on your way back to Massachusetts, take a winter walk through "The Arnold". There are so many jaw dropping splendors (most especially in the winter) that you might find yet another few to put on the list.

One might even nominate the roses growing between the jersey barriers on the Southeast Expressway for shear tenacity!

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

I vote for the Dawn Redwoods, Metasequoia glyptostroboides, at the Missouri Botanical Gardens. They are just beautiful. They were started from seeds collected from the original site where a Chinese Forester rediscovered them growing in Modaoqi China. Seedlings were planted at the Missouri Botanical Gardens in 1952.

I feel like I have traveled back in time when I walk under them.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

This thread has been dormant long enough. Winter seems to be past its prime here, anyway.

I think this old bur oak (Quercus macrocarpa) in Lexington KY deserves something for thumbing its acorns at the idiocy of human constructs.

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley

Here's another horticultural hero, and it just so happens to be another bur oak in Lexington. This one is easy to find for anyone traveling I-75. It's right next to the ramp at exit 115, and I see it everyday.

It was here long before any of us were twinkles in anyone's DNA...and despite the intrusions, it may yet outlive most of us around today.

Last one (for now).

This is an amazing American holly (Ilex opaca). It has been in this situation for decades and decades.

Need I say more?

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

My vote is for the Half Way Tree, a massive Burr Oak (Quercus macrocarpa) in Brodhead, WI, also listed in Bruce Allison's wonderful book, Wisconsin historic trees. The tree was planted by American Indians to mark the mid point between Lake Michigan and the Missisippi River. It stands today in a field on HalfWay Tree Road, old Hwy. 11, between Beloit and Brodhead WI.

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

That sure is a mighty fine Ilex opaca there.

Edgartown, MA(Zone 7a)

VV,
Thanks for resurrecting this one, I must admit your Ilex opaca is a real beauty and a strong contender in my eyes. I finally found a photo of the Sophora Japonica Pagoda Tree that was planted in 1830 by Captain Thomas Milton who brought it as a seedling from China and planted it in his front yard. It is the oldest of its kind on this continent. kt

Thumbnail by runktrun
Hawthorne, FL(Zone 8b)

Biggest live oak in Florida, the Cellon Oak, in Alachua County not too far from Gainesville, might qualify. It's held together with steel cables and each major limb has its own lightning rod. Also the biggest (not technically according to big-tree formulas, but in actual size) baldcypress in the world, north of Orlando, saved only because long ago a Florida state senator bought the land it is on and ensured its preservation along with a somewhat smaller tree (it's now a county park, and the big tree is called The Senator and the smaller but still big one The Senator's Brother, The Companion, and various other names).

Interestingly, the Cellon Oak is probably no older than 250 years, and seems to be about as big as a live oak can get without succumbing to natural forces.

There is a famous butternut tree near I think Olympia, Washington that was planted by George Washington Bush (no relation, an early settler in the Oregon Territory, who decided to move out there because as a black man he could not settle in some of the other territories) and that's been hacked at because it's on a flight path to some airport. Still alive last I heard: probably people in the area know much more about it than I do.

Mark., all I can think of offhand

Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

http://www.championtrees.org/champions/baldcypressFL.htm

In 3,500 years, maybe someone or something will be checking out the baldcypresses I plant today....or maybe the 'Liquor Store' Ginkgo...or.......maybe not......

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Just for fun here is a photo of my Japanese Pagoda tree, grown from seed planted 1960. I have somewhere but have not scanned it, a picture taken some 20 years ago of the bonsai J. Pagoda taken in front of one also from seed. The large one grown in the ground, same age as the bonsai one, was about 12 inches in diameter when my husband cut it down. He didn't like it !!!!!!!! It had bloomed for a couple of years. The bonsai one has never bloomed but I am happy just to have kept it alive.

Donna

Thumbnail by rutholive
Eau Claire, WI

kt, what an absolutley spectacular tree! It makes you wonder if this wasn't the Japanese Pagoda Dirr was referring to in his book when he states "...with branches that stretch to infinity." I've never been to Edgartown, but I'd travel there just to see it. It almost surpasses the Chestnuts I submitted. ;)

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Donna I was thinking the pagoda was Cornus. Obviously not. Beautiful Bonsai! You are a gift to DG. I hope I can see your garden on one of my trips this summer. I have several ones scheduled to Seattle. Maybe I can get you some Seattle plants. Steve

Thornton, IL

'Liquor Store' Ginkgo, what an evocative name..

Edgartown, MA(Zone 7a)

Maakia,
Sophora japonica is a pretty cool tree not surprising that it's arms reach out to the south and the Edgartown Harbor that lies on the back side of the house but that it has survived a good number of hurricanes and nor' easters all these years is to me amazing. I wonder what Captain Milton's intent was in bringing back an ornamental tree from China and planting it in his front yard? Was it status, did he hope it held some type of curative, or did he just think it was purdy?
Donna,
That is a beautiful bonsai you really have an amazing eye. My local nursery has a high end bonsai area but I don't believe they have a Sophora japonica I will have to mention to them how beautiful yours is. kt

Eau Claire, WI

Captain Milton must have left behind some documentation about this tree. Sounds like a good research project to me. Here's a pic of a Northern Red Oak located just off the harbor in Bayfield, WI. It may not have the genteel quality of Edgartown, but still a delightful little community at the far northern tip of Wisconsin on Lake Superior.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/maackia/Woody%20Stuff/Deciduous%20Trees/HPIM3637.jpg

Edgartown, MA(Zone 7a)

Maakia,
Now that is a Quercus rubra grand daddy and I have never visited the great lakes but I can only imagine it has withstood some fierce winds. There is a lot of Quercus in my world but none as grand as that beauty. The folllowing in my neck of the woods I refer to as the dirtiest trees on the planet (I can hear all the gasps of disgust now), Quercus alba, Quercus coccinea Muenchh, Quercus ilicifolia Wang, Quercus prinoides Willd, Quercus stellata Wang, Quercus velutina Lam. and all seem to be stunted compared to the one in Bayfield. kt

Here's another nominee from St. Matthews, a small city in Jefferson County that is right up against/encircled by Louisville. This tree is absolutely, up to the trunk, surrounded by pavement.

This elm holds up to all the standards that a Hero of Horticulture should have.

For those insatiable Ulmusophiles, here are the new seeds (with thumb scale).

It was quite windy today; here are some of the elm seeds against neutral pavement background.

Thornton, IL

Stunning.

Eau Claire, WI

I agree, PG. That is one impressive Elm. The lower branch on left looks like it extends completely across the road and adjacent sidewalk, and maybe halfway to Bardstown.

Thornton, IL

Please nominate this tree, it gets my vote hands down.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I too agree this one is my choice of not only hero but 'Defiant Hero'. How do the branches extend across the road. There has to be limitations on truck traffic cause they would wack off the 'Ulmus Ulna'. VV could you please do me a big favor and collect some seeds so I could propagate this genetic giant here in the land of OZ. I promise to pay you back for the stamp. I'll Dmail my address. Steve.

Eau Claire, WI

Here's a pic my personal hort hero. It's an old Apple Tree and as you can see there's not much wood left to it. I've lived here for over 20 years and it hasn't changed much during that time. It's a reliable producer of tart apples about 3" in diameter, and I think it deserves recognition for incredible perseverance.

And now, for the rest of the story. Legend has that it was planted by a young John Chapman, who apparently fell head over seed bag for the homesteaders daughter. The young lovers would sit in the clearing and he'd regale her with stories of his travels, eating apples and spitting out seeds. Unfortunatley, once the farmer realized that young Johnny was planting more than just apple seeds, their budding romance was terminated and all that's left of their short-lived love story is this amazing tree. Yes, I know, it is an incredible tale, but it's all true and you can read more in Wikipedia. ;)

Thumbnail by Maackia
Eau Claire, WI

another pic

Thumbnail by Maackia
Eau Claire, WI

and the last (I promise) pic

Thumbnail by Maackia

Looks more like a young Decumbent might have been the suitor, practicing his nascent pruning skills (to the apple tree's detriment).

Thornton, IL

Looks like a rabbit is trying to bust out of the lower right side, kewl.

Eau Claire, WI

I never noticed the rabbit feature, but now that you've mentioned it I can clearly see it. The eyes and floppy ears are unmistakeable.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.