Seed Starting - What's your style?

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

I've only been starting seeds for a few years, but I now find myself starting a lot more plants than ever. Normally I like to start seeds in peat pots, but since discovering Dave's Garden this year and seeing your photos, I've realized that there are far better ways of doing things (paper cups, tin foil trays, baker's racks & grow lights, etc). So tell me, what do you like to do? I'm always on the look out for ways to promote efficiency and ease of use...

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

I have 2 PVC seed starting racks (husband made) They hold 4 flats each, use shop lites and a timer. I reuse my soild solid flats and buy new 6 pack inserts. I buy seed starting mix from Gardeners Supply as this has never failed me. I have one heating mat.

When I sow seeds I sow directly into the six pack 2-3 seed to each cell and pinch out the weaker of the seedlings. This saves time planting up to larger pots. As some plants grow they may need to be potted up, but I try to avoid this extra step.

Chris

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I have a wire shelving unit that I got from Target, and I attached some cheapo fluorescent light fixtures to the bottom side of each shelf with twisty ties and hooked them up to a timer so that I don't have to remember to turn the lights on & off. Each shelf fits 2 flats, which I put on top of heat mats and cover with a clear plastic dome. I also buy new inserts each year but reuse the flats and domes. I use Miracle Gro seed starting mix, and I put a bit of hydrogen peroxide in the water each time I water the seedlings which seems to help minimize problems with damping off.

(Zone 6a)

I start all my seeds straight outdoors, this year I'm also doing winter sowing but previous years I've sown in a cold frame in late March/ early April. I find a good many plants can be started this way and theres no hardening off! In my cold frame I use plug sheets( 72 plugs a sheet) and plastic pots.

Steve

Here's where I get the plugs http://www.damseeds.com/asp/product.asp?PG=16833
The price on the web page is wrong though. They're only 1.25 cdn. You can probably find them somewhere closer to you though.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks for your replies. After getting ideas from people here on DG, I put together a seed starting rack with lights and will use new, unused market packs in flats instead of my usual peat pots.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.