PVC hoop style

Mechanicsville, VA

in this link of the green house http://www.i4at.org/surv/green.htm

I am going to be puting this together this weekend

I am using 3/4pvc pipes and I plan on making this only 9 to 10 feet wide instead of the plans 12 foot directions .

I am doing this because I want more hight and I don't really need the width

Has anyone done this yet? And if so was there any problems doing so?

I plan to take some photos of my adventure so stay tuned

Jim (opps typo not Jin )

This message was edited Jan 12, 2007 8:12 PM

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Jin,

I looked at those when I was considering building my greenhouse and decided against it because it wouldn't support my snow load. I opted instead for a cattlepanel hoop house which was very easy to build. I don't know how much snow or ice you get in your area but do take that into account. Some folks have also said that a lot of rain can bring the roof down on a regular hoophouse.
There is a whole thread here on the cattlepanel hoophouse you may want to check out before you start.

Good luck.

MollyD

Mechanicsville, VA

Thanks MolllyD

I know I am not going to have a NY style snowfall here, but it is not out of the question for us to get a bunch of snow. Ice storms are more common here for us, it can be 20* and raining here while on another day it can be 38* and snowing up a storm too.

I have already collected my parts for this hoophouse. I was more woried about changing the width to make it taller, I was also thinking that I could build a 3 foot tall wall on the north side and keep everything skewed some. ( not sure if I said that right)

Thanks again
Jim

Fulton, MO

Jim, the only thing I might worry about is additional stress on the PVC at the peak of the house, given the fact that you are bending the ends closer together (9-10 feet wide instead of 12 feet). You could possibly address this by threading a 3-4 foot long piece of rebar into the PVC at the apex to stiffen it up.

I have read that a coat of latex paint on the PVC where the ribs contact the film will keep the plasticizers from breaking down the poly.

SB

Mechanicsville, VA

I went and worked on this today here is how I started

by cuting the 3/4" X20' PVC ends at 19' 6"

Thumbnail by JBa3Fan
Mechanicsville, VA

and then I cut it in half .... 9' 9"

Thumbnail by JBa3Fan
Mechanicsville, VA

then I conected them together with my crosses

Thumbnail by JBa3Fan
Mechanicsville, VA

then I set it in place to see how it would hold up spaced at 10' apart

Thumbnail by JBa3Fan
Mechanicsville, VA

I used the advice of MollyD and SB and then you ask how it went ....... I say " not too good" in the the voice of Hoyt.. from the John Boy and Billy show

This message was edited Jan 13, 2007 8:39 PM

Thumbnail by JBa3Fan
Mechanicsville, VA

So I packed up my special order parts

Thumbnail by JBa3Fan
Mechanicsville, VA

and pulled out my 5' X 8' utility trailer

Thumbnail by JBa3Fan
Mechanicsville, VA

then headed up I-95 to Ashland Southern States Co Op to purchace 3 cattel panals at $20.00 each and back home safely at 65 mph or so

Thumbnail by JBa3Fan
Mechanicsville, VA

then I pulled out some assorted palms from the area where my hoop house will be ( hey is hoop house one word or two?)

Thumbnail by JBa3Fan
Mechanicsville, VA

and placed the out in the yard out of the way

Thumbnail by JBa3Fan
Mechanicsville, VA

then I filled up the empy holes so I wouldn't break my leg

Thumbnail by JBa3Fan
Mechanicsville, VA

and pulled out some of the tools I would be needing to use ........ fortunatly for me I have all the air guns I need ed

This message was edited Jan 13, 2007 8:33 PM

Thumbnail by JBa3Fan
Mechanicsville, VA

I then built the frame out of some pt 2 X 8 I had laying arround the yard. I made the frame 12' 3" ;long X 8' wide .

It is good to use your tape measure to check the length of the distance between the corners to make sure the frame is square. Make sure you nail some braces on the frame to keep it square while you level the frame.

This message was edited Jan 13, 2007 8:34 PM

Thumbnail by JBa3Fan
Mechanicsville, VA

I used the claw of my hammer to dig out underneath the frame to make it level *

* I kept the frame sloped away from the house 1" the lower the 8' sides

Thumbnail by JBa3Fan
Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

And? LOL

Mechanicsville, VA

I cut some stabs out of some used pt 2 X 4's and anchored the base frame to the ground

Thumbnail by JBa3Fan
Mechanicsville, VA

I stapled the Cattle Panels to the base with some galvinized 1" X 1 1/2 staples

Thumbnail by JBa3Fan
Mechanicsville, VA

I added some plumming pipe insulation to the ends of the house and started building the ends of the house I know I used regular pine 2 x 6 in stead of treated wood, but that is what I had here on hand

Thumbnail by JBa3Fan
Mechanicsville, VA

I then used some HVAC vent tiedowns to connect the end walls to the hoop panels

Thumbnail by JBa3Fan
Mechanicsville, VA

then after I searched the house looking for some weedblock to put on the ground and realising that I only had 10' wide 6 mill plastic and wanted 20", and was short one pice of 5/4" decking 12' long . I made that dreaded saturday afternoon trip to Home Depot

Thumbnail by JBa3Fan
Mechanicsville, VA

I used some extra pt 4 X 4's and 5 pices of 5/4" decking boards to make a walkway down the middle

Thumbnail by JBa3Fan
Mechanicsville, VA

then started puting the palms back inside

Thumbnail by JBa3Fan
Mechanicsville, VA

I am going to use a 2-8 X 4-6 storm window for my door ... I foregot to paint the head 2 x 4 bright orange befor I wraped this

Thumbnail by JBa3Fan
Mechanicsville, VA

on the east side I am going to use a 3-0 X 3-2 storm window to vent

Thumbnail by JBa3Fan
Mechanicsville, VA

good grief it was a job

This message was edited Jan 13, 2007 9:09 PM

This message was edited Jan 13, 2007 9:10 PM

It looks great!

Fulton, MO

Nice!

Quoting:
I made that dreaded saturday afternoon trip to Home Depot

That made me laugh.

Do the kids a favor, though, and trim that nasty board in the 7:27 post! LOL

Nicely done.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Great job Jim! May you get many seasons use out of it in good health!

MollyD

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Good job, Jim! That should last you a good while!

Great step by step pics, too!

By the way, what did the overall height turn out to be?

Shoe

Mechanicsville, VA

Thanks for the nice comments

that board SB is not as bad looking as the pic shows, my kids~~ the palms~~ won't know any better the human
kids are all growed up

Horseshoe the total hight is 73 inches about a half inch taller then I am

this is really just a temp building for me
as soon as sping makes it way here I am going to plant them palms
and If I have to rebuild the end walls every year so be it

maybe next year I will build some side walls to set this on top of to give me more head room

Jim

Dayton, TX(Zone 8b)

Doing research on building a pvc hoop style greenhouse, and stumbled across this thread. Now I'm rethinking the pvc! lol Looks like I'll be making a trip to Tractor Supply again soon. Thanks for the great tutorial!!

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Very interesting thread, thanks!

Make sure you look for the threads here on Cattle Panel Hoophouses. Lots of great information.

Olean, MO

in this link of the green house http://www.i4at.org/surv/green.htm

I am going to be puting this together this weekend
"I have used mine sucessfully for 4 years now"

I am using 3/4pvc pipes and I plan on making this only 9 to 10 feet wide instead of the plans 12 foot directions .
Mine is 18' x 20'

I am doing this because I want more hight and I don't really need the width
"i use a coupla 2x4s to help support mine" 14inch snow last year still standing"
Has anyone done this yet? And if so was there any problems doing so?
"i would suggest regular 4 year greenhouse cover worth the time and money. cover the pvc with duck tape (easier than paint).
I plan to take some photos of my adventure so stay tuned

Jim

Suwanee, GA

When I first started my nursery I made several cold frame (PVC) green houses. I'm located in GA and just a inch of snow turned into a disaster of collapsed. The next summer I then reinforced my PVC by running rebar in the pipe. The next winter... complete disaster once again and thats even beating the snow off the greenhouses with a broom multiple nights. LOL I then gave up and went ahead and bought multiple steel frame greenhouses, problem solved. Now, I still to this day do have smaller 10'x30' green houses that are PVC but anything larger will not hold, even with out snow, the pipes become to brittle in the winter cole. GOOD LUCK.

Spring City, TN

For cattle panel hoop houses, has anyone built a short wall -- maybe 3' high -- to start the panels from there.... giving you more hieght inside...?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.