Where are the inexpensive grow lights?

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

...and how can I get my mitts on one?

I cannot bring myself to pay full price for a new Grow Light system. Do you know where I can find one, new or used, at a discount?

Port Orchard, WA(Zone 8a)

wrightie, you don't have to spend that much, I bought a chrome bakers rack at Lowes for $75 it has 5, 4' shelves and is adjustable you don't need a tool to put it together, it hold 500 pounds. I bought 4' shoplights for $10, and a timer switch. and your good to go. I've seen these plant racks for sale for $900. I spent $155. good luck, Jim

(Zone 4a)

Excellent idea, Jim!

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Make sure you buy shop lights that have a long cord. A lot of cheaper shop lights have a very short cord and then you spend extra money buying extension cords (3 prong). Shop at different stores even if they are a chain store because they don't necessarily stock the same items. For example, I got the cheapest shop lights (over 60) at a particular Home Depot last year for less than $8 (less tubes) but another Home Depot's cheapest shop light was over $15. That doesn't make sense, but that is the way it is.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

What is a bakers rack? Is it just an open wire set of shelves with no back?

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

I knew you guys would hook me up - thanks! I kept looking at this tiny little "grow light" at my local nursery and feeling disgusted at the $200 price tag.

I'll see what I can dig up at the DIY stores.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Happy_M,

Yes, I think you're right on the baker's rack description.

A baker's rack is a fancier set of shelves that probably originated in the kitchen but has found use among plant enthusiasts. They range in price, size, and materials. For hanging grow lights (shop lights) you would be further ahead by buying the chrome shelves (more shelves, adjustable, and generally cheaper) instead of a baker's rack.

Here are a couple of my chrome shelves with shop lights.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

hcmcdole: I am drooling at your photo! Where do you buy the inexpensive chrome shelves you describe? Home Depot?

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Hcmcdole, I want what you're having. That's a fantastic set up and has given me lots of ideas. Thank you for sharing your photo!

I bought all my chrome shelves (18 or so - 8 for plants, the rest for storage) at Sam's and BJ's. The shelves are 6' tall by 4' wide and 18" deep. There are six shelves per unit which is too many for plants (4 or 5 is plenty). They come with casters which is a great addition. The cost is roughly $75. You can buy extra legs on-line for any spare shelves but if you bought legs and casters, then you may as well buy a new unit since you will pay as much or more for legs and casters.

You can buy similar shelves at the home building stores but there will be less shelves which is a good thing and they may be only 3 foot wide which is a bad thing.

You can also build wood shelves for roughly $50. The wood shelves would consist of one sheet of plywood and 10 - 2"x4". The finished product would be two shelves - 6' tall by 8' wide and 2' deep. Glue and screws and one metal brace is enough to put it all together. Here are some pictures of my wood shelves (3 of 5) and 2 chrome shelves I built in the fall of 2005.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

hcmcdole, the racks that you have are exactly what I have. but mine are full of baby hosta hybrid seedlings, what I was amazed about was how easy they were to assemble, with no tools. Jim

Jim,

You are right. They are fairly easy to put together except for that first shelf - four six foot legs through the holes without knocking off the plastic wedges is a small challenge but after that it goes together quickly.

At least the 2 section legs screw together now where a few years ago you had to hammer the two sections together with a wedge do-hickey.

The other thing I don't care for is if you want to move a shelf up or down. For that you need a mallet to break the friction seal.

This year I made sure almost every plant (except for the largest pots) had an aluminum tray under it to catch water and debris with a layer of gravel for humidity. I went through almost 40 bags of gravel (40 or 50 lb bags) to complete this task.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

I just returned from Home Depot where I found a chrome baker's rack in a 3ft width, but inexpensive shoplights in 4ft lengths. I tried to get assistance by one of their customer disservice rep's, but he was rude and would not check their system to find out if those shop lights also came in 3ft lengths. He tried to sell me some hard-wired, cold weather fixtures (at 3 times the price) because they had those in stock... I'll check online and go to another store to try to find a matching set.

Question: What wattage bulb would you recommend for starting most seeds? ...and do you have a preference for single vs double lamp fixtures?

Thanks in advance!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Hcmcdole, your plant stand is gorgeous and you have a very green thumb too!!! DH is going to build me shelves 4' x 15'' x 5'. I hope that will be tall enough. My question are the shop lights. Do they burn a lot of electricity? What wattage is the smallest to use or do they all come in 40's? I made a note of the longer cords!

Wrightie, they have no right to be rude. People like that need to be turned in to the manager!

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

BP, It would likely have taken 20 minutes just to find the store manager to turn him in, so it wasn't worth my time. However, I did get a wee bit of satisfaction out of leaving my full shopping cart (baker's rack, 4 sets of lights, power strip, etc.) there with him after telling him to "Never mind." Then I walked away...

Meow
:)

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Big meow! I'm glad you did!!!

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Yet another question: I notice that some shop lights have Halogen lamps. I assume that I should not use halogens. Is that correct?

Shop lights are typically 4 foot in length. Due to it being such a standard that it is the most economical way to go. For four foot bulbs, the wattage is 40W per bulb, so a double light (preferred shop light) is 80W. There are 34W bulbs but don't buy those unless your fixture is designed for that wattage - you will have problems otherwise. There are other sizes as well but I don't know them all. 18 inches, 2 foot, 3 foot, 8 foot, circular, U-shaped, etc. The four foot will be your best bet though for growing because of its price and availability.

Halogen lights are brighter, a lot hotter, and cost more but I wasn't aware of any for shop lights (at least that run in fluorescent fixtures). Another way to go is HID but these are quite expensive but are the premium way to grow show plants (a lot of news stories tell how marijuana growers using these give off so much light that they are easy to spot for Narcs).

The cost for running these are typically small for a few lights. You would have to find out how much your electric company charges per KWH (Kilowatt-hour). The electric company here charges roughly 8 cents per KWH. So for 1 light running 12 hours the cost would be 80W (two 40W bulbs) / 1000 (Watts per Kilo-Watt) * 12 hours * $0.08 is roughly 7.7 cents per day. This is about $2.30 a month. So for 60 lights it would be about $138 a month. If you increase the hours to 16 a day then for the same 60 lights the cost would be about $184 a month.

Make sure you get a good timer as well. Mechanical timers are good but for a little bit more you can get a system that can be controlled by your computer. The modules cost no more than a mechanical timer and the controller and software don't cost much. Check it out at X10.

As for rude clerks (sales associates or whatever moniker they go by), that will happen. For every bad one (or one that is having a bad hair day or had a death in the family), there should be several good ones. Home Depot has gone through some rough times the last few years but at least the management has changed (yay, except for the severance package of the outgoing honcho ~ 210 million for resigning). Hopefully they will get their morale restored else they may go the way of K-Mart and other stores. I haven't shopped at K-Mart for several years due to the employees' attitudes in the past. They may have changed but it would be hard to get me back into one of their stores.

P.S. use tie wraps (cable ties) to neaten your cords. Here is a picture of mine.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Thanks, that helps me a lot!! I'll be running 6 lights if all the shelves are filled. And I'm sure they will be! Timers will be a big help.

Laughter over the pot growers! I noticed many books on growing it in Barnes and Noble. How times have changed.

I can't wait to see mine after it's built. I forgot it will be 53'' to accomodate the cords coming out of the side. We have to cover it with screen because I have 2 cats that eat green! Even tho I provide grass.

Edited for spelling!

This message was edited Jan 12, 2007 2:27 PM

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Thank you so much! I'll get the cheapo 4ft lights and go in search of a 4ft rack at another store.

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Some shelving at HD is on sale this week. I can't make out the sizes in the ad, though. I made mine out of plywood and 2x4 lumber, so I could justify it as 'storage' with my 'old lady'

I hope you will be able to get six shelves, lights, and plants in 53" of space. The lights will take up some of that room. I find that 4 to 5 shelves is adequate for 72". If you're starting seed or growing low growing plants then you should be okay. If you have some medium to tall plants then you will have problems.

Don't forget that the top shelf won't be usable unless you attach some kind of support system. You can store items up on top though.

Here is a picture of two of my units with different size plants. One has five shelves; the other has four. I stored caladium bulbs on top of one and my chainsaw on the other.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I mainly need it for tomatoes and peppers that get transplanted into a larger pot before going into the garden, and for starting seeds. I think it will be big enough. I do have a small floor model with two shop bulbs. I won't start peppers till the middle of March and tomatoes the middle of April. Hopefully I can plant them out in the middle of May.

I imagine he's using 2x4's, and will calculate the fixture size in. I sure like your chrome ones alot!

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Hcmcdole, thank you for all of your detailed answers and photos. I now have all of the supplies to set up my own 'nursery', which will be more or less the same as yours. This is going to be a fun weekend.

I cannot wait until my order from Select Seeds arrives.

I found my crome 4' bakers racks at Lowes, just in case you can't find them at Home depot, Jim

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Same here. Racks from Lowes, Lights & bulbs from HD. My seeds just arrived in the mail and I am about to get started putting everything together. Hoooray!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Is this the shelving you bought from Lowes: http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=71473-80752-184874B&lpage=none ? It has 5 shelves (nice), and black-epoxy coated wire shelves, but no casters. Are the shelves adjustable? $75

Costco has a 4-shelf variation, about the same price and same size overall, with casters (which is nice), adjustable shelves (nice) but only 4 shelves; it has a clear-coated chrome finish (which is nice): http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?whse=BC&topnav=&prodid=34972&ec=BC-EC4876-ProdID10006799&pos=0F. $68.

Sams Club has a similar product for $100 -- only 4 shelves, no casters. http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?catg=535&item=149590&prDeTab=2#A

I didn't see anything at BJ's on-line (www.bjs.com).

I am inclined to get the Costco version -- do any of you have an opinion? Find anything else worth considering?

Meanwhile, my husband bought me the hardware for a PVC version that I saw on DG, I think; but this looks nicer and probably would be sturdier. Not to mention that we won't have to take the time to assemble it.

Any recommendations?

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Happy, no that's not the one that I got from Lowe's. I bought this one and it's on sale for about $68 right now: http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=71034-80752-184874C&lpage=none
It does not have wheels, but that's not an issue for me. Otherwise, my set up looks just like hcmcdole's.
The shoplights were $8.79 at HD; set of 10, 40w cool fluorescent bulbs was a little under $20 at HD as well.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Wrightie: Does yours have adjustable shelves? I can't tell from the ad. I really want casters, but I can always add them.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Yes, you can place the shelves at any height that you prefer. Tip: If you get the same one as me, just disregard the first step on the directions. It's easier to place the first shelf over the uprights/legs BEFORE screwing the upper halves of the legs on. UGH!

I'm all set up and am LOVING my new seed starting rack. I will easily be able to fit 16 flats on the four shelves - that's complete overkill for my needs, but I'm not complaining.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

This is EXTREMELY helpful, wrightie; now I just need to find a Lowe's nearby. I might still checkout the Costco one; it supports 600 pounds per shelf while the Lowes one only does 350. Obviously my seeds won't approach that, but that might mean the Costco one is sturdier, and then I'd get my casters. Either way, I'm excited!

Costco also offers a more expensive version of its shelf: http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11151851&search=wire%20shelf&Sp=S&Mo=4&cm_re=1-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&N=0&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=All&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=wire%20shelf&Ntt=wire%20shelf&No=0&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

It looks as if the Lowes sale only lasts January 15, at least in my area: http://lowes.shoplocal.com/lowes/default.aspx?action=detail&flashbrowse=y&storeid=2504585&rapid=358759&pagenumber=1&listingid=-2093855477&ref=%2flowes%2fdefault.aspx%3faction%3dbrowsepageflash%26storeid%3d2504585%26pagenumber%3d1%26rapid%3d358759%26prvid%3dlowes-070191-ROP

This message was edited Jan 13, 2007 7:26 PM

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Hcmcdole, I didn't see much of a selection of timers at the store and I just took a look at the x10 site. I'm in over my head on these. Can you suggest a simple timer? I only intend to use it for this project, which has four lights and one surge protector - everything is three-prong.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

What is the x10 site?

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

electronic gadgets: http://www.x10.com/homepage.htm

wrightie, I found some outdoor timers in the markdown box for $2 after Xmas sale. at my local hardware store. they have six 3 prong outlets. the regular price on them was $ 17. Jim

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Hmmm.... Thanks, Jim. That does not fit the description of anything that I've seen. Is your hardware store actually in Port Orchard? I've got someone a bit north of you; maybe I can send him to get one...

{:>)

wrightie, it was Ace Hardware that had them marked down. they had several different ones at regular price. these were in the Xmas markdowns. Jim

Wrightie,

For mechanical timers I use the Intermatic brand you can find at most hardware stores and maybe Wal-Mart. I wouldn't get the Timex brand - the one I bought at Wal-Mart didn't work worth a dime so I trashed it. Get the 3 prong - it's worth the extra dollar or two. The bad thing about mechanical timers is two fold. One is they aren't precise which isn't a big deal for controlling grow lights but if you want all your Xmas lights to come on at the same moment, then it ain't going to happen. Two is if you lose power then the timer will not be correct when the power comes back on. Again no biggie unless you have several to set. Most of the mechanical timers come with little plastic tabs you push on to the dial (green for on and red for off) and generally come with 2 or 3 sets of these if you want to set multiple times for a day. You would then twist the dial to be close to the current time of day.

The other thing about mechanical timers is they never vary. In other words they come on at the same time each and every day. The X10 (and possibly other brands) can have all kinds of timers if you want to make your house looked lived in while you are away. Again for grow lights this is not important.

There are some other timers that have a digital interface so the timing is more precise and probably have a battery backup so they won't lose the current time if you lose power. These will cost more than the simple mechanical ones but you pay for the convenience. If you got several of these then X10 would be a cheaper alternative.

Here is a picture of a two prong model.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00002N5FI/dealtime-dav/

And a three prong model.

http://www.amazon.com/Intermatic-TN311C-Heavy-Duty-Grounded-Timer/dp/B00002N5FO/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_img_b/103-2240737-6904620

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I just want to tell you of another possibility. I have 5 shelves of gro lights in the house, but not heat under the seeds. So, I ordered two 60" heating mats with one thermostat for my covered front screened in porch. The carpenter made me adjustable gro lights on a frame for each mat. Now, I can propagate anything 95% of the year. The front porch is on the south east side...just perfect for our winter weather which comes right out of the north plus it gets the heat from all the way across the front of the house (glass)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.