Unknown disease in Mecardonia (Goldflake - Proven Winners)

Rehovot, Israel

Hi...

I am having a problem with my Mecardonia, over time the leaves become black and die, i have no idea what disease it is. I am not sure if it is a disease at all!
I have placed it in different environments: indoors, outdoors, hanging from the ground... etc..
I cannot seem to control this phenomenon...
If anyone has any idea or has the same problem please tell me...

Thanks
Tom.

p.s. i have replanted sections of the plant that were not infected and placed them in clean pots and working with latex gloves, so i do not think it is a sterility issue.

Thumbnail by Tom_isr

Hi Tom,

I am not familiar with this plant. I don't think people are ignoring you, I just think they don't know what the heck is going on with your plant.

We have a forum specifically for helping other gardeners try to identify problems.
Will you please ask your question and re-post your photo here if it isn't too much trouble-
http://davesgarden.com/forums/f/pad/all/

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Tom take a piece of the semi dead material and hold it so that the stem is upside down.

Takle it into the hous e and get a glass of water in a clear glass. Put the stem in. Watch the wate r and the stem to see if you see any milky liquid comign out of the bottom of the stem. Usuaally if it a virus will se e the milky liquid come out.

If it is comign from a fungi, even though you are giving it different conditions, the mircroscopic spores may stil be lingering on the plant leaves or stems where you don't see them. if you don't sterilize each cutting , your gonan have the same problem.

Rehovot, Israel

Equilibrium... thank you so much was sending me the link... i reposted my post into the forum you suggested.

Starlight1153: Thank you for your advice i will try it.... i just have a question, what is the connection between a virus and milky liquid... and if there is a relationship, does it happen in all plants that are infected by a virus...
Your idea seems very very interesting!
Thank you... i will let you know what i the result is...
Just so that i have it correct: i take a semi dead stem, place the cut stem in a clear glass of distilled water and wait to see if a milky liquid comes out... how long should it take??
What can i do to see if it is a fungi... you did not provide a clear method...

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Sorry Tom... You don't want to use a totally dead stem. You want to use one that is infected though and showing signs of the disease.

When you cut the stem, products of the xylem and phloem will immediately run out of the plant. When you make your cut you don't want to lose that fluid, so you can either hurry and turn the cuttign upside down to keep the liquid inside the plant, or you can make the cut and immediately let it drip into a cup of water and let it stay in the cup for a bit. Within a half hour at the most you will see the milky liquid form in the glass.

You don't need distilled water. Any water will do.

One of the ways the viruses travel is from cell to cell or through the tiny openings between the cell membranes. Some virus attack a whole plant at once and some first one side then the other. Alot of the viruses move up and down through the plants through the xylem.

As they mov e through the plant they change the sugars the plant takes up to a milky liquid. A bacteria virus can replicate itself to thousands in just a matter of minutes.

If you don't see a milky liquid then your plant could have other issues. You might dig around the base of it and pull up some of the roots in that area. Look to see if any of the roots have fat spots on them. You may have some nematodes.

Though with it dying like that looks more like a bacteria wilt to me. Your plant likes dry conditions. It suffers if the ground is to wet. It can get boytritis, a fungal disease.

With a fungal disease, if you get down by the roots , and scrap away the dirt, some time s you can se e fuzzy lookign stuff. Fungi can come in several different colors so there is no tellign you to look for one specific one. If it is a fungi and can be narrowed down there are several products on the market that might help.

Also, look on the leave s of the branches that are starting to die. Do you see any yellow rings or smal black spots or yellow spots? Look on the back of the leaves, do you see any tiny bumps or little white things sticking to it.

Have you checked in the soil to see if there are any type of bugs or insects there? Also look at night. Some pests only come out at night. Do you have snails and slugs in your country?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.