January's Daily Weather # II

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Oh, man. It's almost unreal.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Sorry to see that Ric.....this is what's prolly heading your way. The wind was higher earlier.

22 °F / -5 °C
N/A
Humidity: 87%
Dew Point: 19 °F / -7 °C
Wind: 31 mph / 50 km/h / 13.9 m/s from the NNW
Pressure: 30.21 in / 1023 hPa (Rising)
Windchill: 4 °F / -15 °C

(Zone 3b)

Dyson Dark this morning and cold.
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Two old feisty English sea captains were in maritime court, the one on the stand said "twas so foggy out you could not see your own shoelaces". The other one jumped up and exclaimed "if you had not been looking at your feet, you would not have run into me".

I dove most of the way to work at 35 mph. It was foggy.

Currently: Clear (yea) 41.9°(F) shed, 46.0 porch.

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Kiska – That’s c-o-l-d!
Kelli – Are you still there? Hang on!!
Ric – Beautiful blooms you have there!
Dyson – LOL! Sounds like you’re having the same fog we had. Scary stuff.

The rain started early around 8:50 and ended around 11:00. I wasn’t paying a whole lot of attention. It didn’t rain again though.

Tonight...Much colder. Mostly clear. Lows in the lower 40s near the coast...Upper 30s inland. Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph.

Sunset through the vine

Thumbnail by MySharona
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Golly Kiska! Your thermometer pic made me shiver...but congrats on the extra 3+ minutes of daylight! :)
Sharon: Another wonderful Fla sunrise.
Kelli you have my sympathy with that wind. I know it would really get to me. I read a psychological study once that said wind had a disorienting effect on the brain. Hope it calms soon.

We had a real downpour this morning, but it was ahead of a cold front. Beautifully clear afternoon but I had to rush around and bring in all the plants (again) when I got in from work this everning. Frost tonight, then upper 20s the next two.

Deb

(Zone 3b)

It's 9:30pm; lots of you are already into tomorrow :)
I just read about the fires in Malibu - kelli - I assume that it's from the same winds that you've recently had?
The temp is still at 20 degrees below zero and going down to 25 below, so say the forecasters. It could be the coldest, in Anchorage, since the 1950's on this date.
DebinSC - the weather there seems to be quite fickle; at least your plants get to travel as you move them from place to place..
MySharona - love that sunset peeking through the foilage; and you had rain, too. Guess I should see what the weather is in Dallas; DH is there for the week.
Enjoying the view w/my coffee in the living room today. I'm happier looking out at minus 20 than being out in it..
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Cyber-eater ate my message..
Kiska - You're so lucky to have such lovely views from your windows. I'm curious, how do you keep from going stir crazy?! In that kind of cold I assume outdoor activites are limited.
Kelli - how are you faring in the winds? I hope you're safe from the fires.

DH left for conferences in Pittsburgh and Chicago this morning. I get to pretend it's early Spring - do some cleaning and throw some stuff away!

We started the day at a chilly 43. Today...Considerable high cloudiness early in the morning then clearing. Breezy. High 63. West winds 15 to 20 mph.

Sunset through our trees last night

This message was edited Jan 9, 2007 7:32 AM

Thumbnail by MySharona
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Mornin' All! The sun is shining at the moment, but the snow is on the way, as one county has closed school for the day (cuz of the elev.). The temp is 38*.
Well, Dyson, Fog, ehe? LOL! You "dove" to work? :D with a seaman's joke? LOL! :D (in all seriousness ~ do be careful)
Kelli, you take care, as well. Don't want you to get blown away!
Ric, That is some hefty Hellebor buds! They are certainly a pretty flower. There is a nursery not too far from here that specializes in them.
Melody, I hope that you flowers will be OK. We may actually be getting some winter weather, now.
Sharon, Good Pix!

Well, gonna go "float" around.
Have a Great Day all!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Morning all,
Well I might have spoke too soon.
48.0 °F / 8.9 °C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 29%
Dew Point: 17 °F / -8 °C
Wind: 2.2 mph / 3 km/h from the NNW
Wind Gust: 5.4 mph / 8 km/h
Yes, we have windchill today.
I am so busy with getting ready to take Frank with me on the road. I have 2 more years to build my retirement.
Sidney

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Sun's shining, Wind's blowing, 37° (Wind Chill 29°)
No Snow............. No Rain...........
Taking down the Holiday Display, Building some Cabinets.................
Looks like a little Winter sneaking in today thru Thurs.
Then mid 50's for the weekend....

kiska I'd be window watching too! -20° NO Thanks!
Joey, What Sedum is that?

Here's where we are on the Batroom remodel.
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Ahhh, Tis shapin' up there, Ric! Lookin' Good!
That's a Russian sedum. Grows great here. Want some? I have a monster pot out front, that I don't do anything with...it takes care of itself.:D That's my kind of plant! It has a yellow bloom.
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Just started snowing up a storm but kinda sideways! In just 15 minutes it stuck to both sides of the creek and is beginning to show on the grass.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Currently
16 °F / -9 °C
Overcast
Humidity: 58%
Dew Point: 3 °F / -16 °C
Wind: 8 mph / 13 km/h / 3.6 m/s from the SE
Pressure: 30.21 in / 1023 hPa
Windchill: 5 °F / -15 °C
Visibility: 15.0 miles / 24.1 kilometers

Winter Storm Watch in effect....
[chance flurries]
Today
A mix of sun and cloud. 40 percent chance of flurries. Wind southwest 20 km/h becoming light this morning. High minus 4°C.

Here's our forecast which I hadn't seen when I posted above.
Today
Snow / Wind
High 34° F
Precip: 90%
Cloudy and windy with some snow showers this morning and steady snow likely this afternoon. Temps nearly steady in the mid 30s. W winds at 10 to 15 mph, increasing to 25 to 35 mph. 2 to 4 inches of snow expected. Winds could occasionally gust over 40 mph.

Tonight
Snow Shower / Wind
Low 21° F
Precip: 60%
Mostly cloudy and windy. Flurries and snow showers this evening becoming less likely by morning. Low 21F. Winds WNW at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of snow 60%.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Well spring is back in Newfoundland...plenty of rain and mild temps this past week. Currently its 52 F (11 C) with light rain. No snow to be seen anywhere...no frost in the ground and the snowdrops are 2" high in the garden.....even a few Viola still blooming.....look out when winter really hits! Rann, I'll see what I can do to send some of our mild weather your way! Funny, when we are mild, you are cold and vice-versa.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I Like it..... looks like one of the Stonecrops....

Ric

(Zone 5a)

Good afternoon all! It's a beautiful clear, calm and quite cold day here today 17°F ...... nothing like Kiska's cold but feels quite cold enough!!

Kiska that's a beautiful view - I don't blame you for not wanting to go out in that cold!

Ric - that is coming along nicely - looks really good! :-) Those Hellebores look really good! I've been trying to raise them from seed for many years now .... they haven't been available from any nursery ...... someday!

Todd - it sure seems to work that way! We'll have at least one more day of these cold temps - then I think we'll be getting some southerly winds - not sure how much it'll warm up.

Lilypon - We're just about at the same temp today :-)

This message was edited Jan 9, 2007 4:08 PM

(Zone 3b)

7am - dark- Minus 25 degrees below zero., dark...anyone ready for winter tourism? That's what the State is trying to increase....really, though, it's just incredibly beautiful..
Sharon, about this time of year, cabin fever does begin to occur. After already months of winter, and a couple more to go, people kinda go crazy...
I no longer go out in these temps just for fun. I do the necessary errands in town, in and out of the car quickly as possible. At home, there's always something to do. Other than getting outdoors for a few minutes for peace of mind and soaking in the cool, freshness, I find lots to do indoors.
Darius-nice that it's snowing there, isn't it? But wind w/it is a bummer.
Sugarweed - windchill sure does cut through to bring on a chill.
Todd and Rann - the way your weather flip-flops, at least you can see what may be coming your way.
The project is looking good, ric..and, looking good, too, is your gorgeous plant, joey..
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 5a)

Kiska - I had to look up my temp converter to figure out those temps.... -25°F thats -32°C!!!! Boy that's cold ....... it's colder than my freezer ..... lol .... can't even imagine what that's like.
You're right though - it is incredibly beautiful! :-)

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Hy! you guys! It's 38* & snowin' on & off. It'll add up then melt off. Supposed to get more by in the morning.
Darius? is addin' up down there? We won' t get much. A lot of counties (not this one) have cut school short. One was actually closed 1st thing this morning. Giles county (in Va.) closes if they see just one flake, but a lot of the students drive the buses. However they are improving. I remember when I was a kid...I would have to walk if the school bus didn't show. I don't remember it Ever being closed for snow.
You all that are in the COLD stay warm!

One shot of the snow...waiting for more.
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
(Zone 3b)

And, now, Rann, it's 9:30, daylight and the temp continues to drop.
It's Minus 27 degrees below zero. The house/deck are really beginning to pop and snap..One really loud "crack" caused me to check for damage to the sun :) room...all's ok...
One interesting thing to do is to take a cup of hot coffee or water, and toss it up into the air...it instantly vaporizes; I just sacrificed a cup of coffee to do just that..
A birthday in June....
kiska
Snow for you, too, Joey - now it's winter...

Thumbnail by kiska

Joey, we have maybe 2" of snow, but now it's coming down in very fine flakes.

Thumbnail by darius

Kiska, that coffee thing sounds downright bizarre.

The fire in Malibu was supported by the same winds that I was talking about. Malibu is downwind from me. If the fire had been during the day and if the wind wasn't too strong, I would have seen smoke.

But today, no wind! You can't imagine how quiet it sounds without it.

Updated: 11:16 AM PST on January 09, 2007
Observed at: Northwest San Fernando Valley, Chatsworth, California
Elevation: 905 ft / 275 m
76.5 °F / 24.7 °C
Clear
Humidity: 15%
Dew Point: 26 °F / -4 °C
Wind: 1.0 mph / 1.6 km/h / 4.1 m/s from the SSW
Wind Gust: 3.0 mph / 4.8 km/h

(Zone 3b)

kelli - good news for your area it seems. 76 degrees looks real good.
Darius - I can almost feel the stillness that comes with a snowfall. very pretty.
Just took this of the roof ready to avalanche some of the snow-load - must not walk out past the eves now w/out making a dash for it....it's slowing slipping off. Holding steady at 27 degrees below zero.
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

rannveig if it hits -40F you won't need to convert. That's the one where it's basically the same C and F.

We've been outside about all day taking down the Holiday display.
Funny it takes days to put up....hours to take down.
It's really gorgeous around here.
Clear and right around 40°
Just in the last hour the wind has started gusting... from the North while the clouds are running from the W which is really weird.

Here's some or the 'red/coral' Hellobores getting ready to pop.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

The only thing good about putting away the Christmas decorations is that it doesn't take as long a putting them up.

(Zone 5a)

I hate taking the decorations down - takes me forever ........

Ric - that Helleborus is so pretty! Hope they'll get to bloom :-) It is funny how the C and F scales meet at -40 ..... sure hope it doesn't get that cold over there in Alaska ....... does it Kiska??

Kiska - wow - that is a cool shot ...... and the coffee thing would be cool to see - it never gets that cold here ..... love the June photo - looks warmer than most summer days here! I think there was a total of 1 or 2 days this summer that the girls could wear short sleeve shirts .....

Joey - Yay!!! Finally some snow :-) Hope you get "just" the right amount ;-)

Kelli - glad the wind died down. I know exactly what you mean about the quiet ..... it's such a relief! We're due to get some nasty north winds with below freezing temps on Thursday - not looking forward to that.

(Zone 3b)

Minus 20 so it's beginning to warm up. Just returned from Palmer and took a short drive around the area. The scenic beauty is overwhelming - the trees are loaded with frozen snow, the fields, fences, every singe thing is covered in white-just wonderful. I had the camera w/me but the car never got warm and it was frozen so didn't get any pictures. I keep it in an insulated bag, but it just wasn't enough today.
Rann, minus 40 degrees is in the realm here. It's minus 34 degrees just a few miles from our home, down at the "Butte"..the Butte is a small hill left behind from the glacier receeded. Up at Fairbanks, about 300 miles north of Palmer, it's Minus 44 degrees....
With wind and cold in your forecast, not going to be too pleasant, is it?
Today's temp....around noon
kiska

This message was edited Jan 9, 2007 2:25 PM

Thumbnail by kiska
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Kiska: LOL! that's great! Travelling plants! I'll look at it that way. And yes, the weather cannot make up its mind! Yours is frozen but at least its consistent! :) I hope you can see that thermometer from indoors!
Todd: I really have to plant Hellobores. It would be so nice to see them at this dreary time of year.

From what I'm reading, looks like winter has returned most everywhere except for Todd. We're expecting upper 20s the next two nights. It was a beautiful day today though. Sunny blue sky and in the 50s. But,
Kelli, we're gettin' a bit of wind. 30mph off and on today. I'm glad yours has stopped for a bit. Must be a relief.

Quick shot from this afternoon. There are several of these around town in full bloom, many more budding. I'd say they're about 5 weeks early!
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
(Zone 3b)

DebinSC - What in interesting photo - yellow leaves and a flowering tree..pretty nice.
Little Moose - tracks across the deck today...poor little guy must be freezing....I see tracks all over as he, seems to be just the one, is looking for the tastiest twigs..
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Evenin! Well, every body around us has snow! (Bluefield has 3"!) But not us! Nooooo! It stuck once & covered the deck & stuff really nice. But it all melted off in record time. Nothing like this little valley to stop the snow ~ or melt it.
Darius? did you get any more? Snow Shoe may get 8". At 1st they were to get 3-5", but now it's changed. Like I always say ~ all things are subject to change. Maybe we'll have better luck next time, but at least we Got some.:D I was excited for a little while! :D Rann, some is better than none & we always start off small, anyway.
At the moment it's 36* & Dyson Dark ;)
Kelli, glad the wind has settled down for ya. Sounds really good. Will you get the same weather tomorrow?
Ric, those are some nifty Buds!:D
Deb, is that a Magnolia? I guess everything will be early this year.
Kiska! He's been on the deck? Wow!

Take Care Everybody
Joey

This is interesting.

"Very cold temperatures can be expected across the Southland on
Thursday and Friday... with high temperatures in valley areas only
expected to be in the mid 40s to mid 50s... while mountain areas will
generally remain in the 20s and 30s. With the potential for a very
cold air mass settling into Southern California... there is the
potential for widespred sub-freezing temperatures across the valleys
and northern coastal locations on Friday and Saturday mornings.
The Antelope Valley and interior valleys of San Luis Obispo and
Santa Barbara counties could see frigid conditions with lows
likely falling into the teens."

This is not.

"While gusty northwest and north winds will usher in the
much colder air on Thursday and Friday... the winds are expected
to become more northeasterly late Friday night into Saturday...
possibly bringing another round of dry offshore winds."

Ric – your tile work is great. Nice looking shower, coming along nicely! Very pretty pic of the Hellebores (sp?)
Joey – Nice pic of the sedum, I like what you did with the chair, very pretty. So glad you are getting snow.
Darius – stay safe in the snow. Nice picture!
Todd – what are snowdrops?
Kiska – Try to get a picture of the coffee vaporizing! That would be an amazing picture! How many inches of snow is on the eaves?
Kelli – so glad you are safe from the fires, hopefully the winds will stop soon.
Tonight...Clear. Lows in the mid 30s inland...Upper 30s coast. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph. Wind chills 29 to 34.
Sunset tonight

Thumbnail by MySharona
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Joey:Yep, sorry -I should've said - that's a magnolia.
Deb

Joey, we are still getting some flurries... enough that it has filled in my footprints made when getting the mail. We have 60% probability tonight and 30% tomorrow.

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Darius, Now don't laugh...we're supposed to get "another 1-2 inches by in the morning"! That's a channel 6 quote! :D So Bluefield will have 5" by morning. We may get another "skiff" & it will melt off, again.
Sharon, that's a Beautiful! Gold! :D

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Wow, what great pictures. I am now looking out Darius' window on my desktop now. Sharon all the many palms have great siloettes and you do such a great job of capturing them.
52.5 °F / 11.4 °C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 33%
Dew Point: 24 °F / -5 °C
Wind: 3.1 mph / 4 km/h
Wind Gust: 5.8 mph / 9 km/h
Supposed to be real chilly in the morning.

(Zone 3b)

5:30pm, Dark and cold - minus 20 below zero ----winter like the ones we used to have. A few years ago I video'd the vaporizing coffee and it's so cool to see. Tomorrow, if it stays cold enough, I'll try to use the Still camera..might need to have someone come over to toss the coffee; I'll see what tomorrow brings. There's months' worth of snow on the roof, taking compaction into account, about 2 feet up there.
Sharon that is just beautiful - love the glow -
Darius, have you had some fresh snow ice-cream?
Kelli - looks as if the weather is going to be wild down there.
The moose come on the deck and go through the carport - looking for a shortcut from the deep snow perhaps..
December's visit.
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Well, we'll see. I take these apocalyptic forecasts with a grain of salt.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.