Best Trees and Shrubs for the Bird Garden?

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

I have Korean spice now. It is a looser flower. I had v. carcephalum at a different house. It still has a good fragrance.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Viburnums are eye-candy to me. I wished we've more room to grow more of them in the garden. The Yoshino Cherries tree is my backyard's bird haven. I love to have pics. of backyard birds showing off their's beauties while Yoshino is in blooms.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hah, Marna, please forgive my short memory. All I need to do was go back to my DG journal to refresh. You were correct all along. http://davesgarden.com/tools/blog/viewimage.php?did=60522

Yah, gorgeous. I had to trim mine kind of compactly because of where it was planted when we bought the house, but they are really nice. I'd love to have one right by the window to smell the lovely fragrance!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Agreed, also did you know, Dalph odora (sp?) also emits a similar fragrant, maybe a tad sweeter first thing as the snow melt?

No I did not know that, Daphne is not hardy here anyway.

Harrisburg, PA

What a great thread, thanks for all the information! I spent 30 years turning a city-like lot into a bird haven and then moved. Now I'm trying to rebuild the theme from scratch on a large lot that backs up to woods, yes, it's heaven! The first thing I bought were serviceberry shrubs/trees and not at the 250 dollar price tag mentioned earlier! I've had mockingbirds come down for the berries while I'm sitting within a few feet and sing their gratitude looking right at me, just magical. I found this thread because I'm desperately trying to figure out what type of honeysuckle shrub I used to have. It got over 6' tall and wide. Had yellow flowers with no fragrance and beautiful bright red berries. The little birds would sit and watch the berries as soon as they started to form. I think they were willing them to ripen. I'd love to figure out what it was so I could get several. I know it wasn't the invasive kind, but it was a popular shrub 15 years ago. Any suggestions will be much appreciated. In return for all the contributors of this great thread and future readers, here are some great sources for low cost bird loving plants, shrubs and trees:
http://www.coldstreamfarm.net/ a great source for bare root, conservation type plants. You won't find the fancy varieties, but for bayberry shrubs, juniper, and rugusa roses, you can't beat their price anywhere.
http://www.djroger.com/moon_idx.html I bought five serviceberry shrubs and tree forms when I first moved in from her. Bought chokeberry and elderberry from her later and everything grew well.
Just a note to keep your eyes on the clearance section of your local pricey nurseries. I got TWO viburnum carlessii's for 10 dollars each because the lateral branches and been mangled. with pruning, they look fine and perfume my yard beautifully in the spring.
and to stretch my plant budget, I tried directgardening.com and got a jump start on perennials but you need to know how to get dormant plants jumpstarted and be patient.
http://www.gracefulgardens.com/ I got all my coneflowers and echinacea from them. you need to buy 32 plants at a time but can mix or match in sets of 4. It worked out to around 2.50 per plant including the shipping, what a deal for nice size plants and they all bloomed within a few weeks of being planted.
Happy bird watching!

Marlton, NJ

Hi pondlady, Thanks so much for all the information!

Could your yellow honeysuckle possibly be John Clayton? http://www.gardenvines.com/shop/lonicera-honeysuckle-6/lonicera-john-clayton-277.html

Harrisburg, PA

Hi Pelletory, no, it is definitely a shrub and the flowers were much smaller than the John Clayton vine. I have John Clayton on an arbor and love seeing the hummers dive in for a treat. The number of cultivars of honeysuckle shrubs just overwhelm me. The frustration is that sometimes write ups about the same type of shrub will have conflicting information on whether birds like it or not. I was so thrilled to find this thread and have real bird lovers giving their personal experiences. I think I'll get several varieties and let the birds give their reviews. I'll be sure to share their ratings!

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Pondlady, thanks for sharing the good info. I have bought several shrubs/trees that offer berries from the MO. Conservation Dept. I paid $30.00 for 45 plants. The Sambucus was about 3.5 feet and the Ninebark was about 7 feet. We also got Rough Leaf Dogwood, but I don't remember how tall they were.
I still want to get another Viburnum plicatum tomentosum (sp?).

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

RE: Honeysuckle Shrub
I have had the same problem - when I was a kid, Honeysuckle bushes were common in Windbreaks and Hedges, but I didn't even know there was a vine! Now the vines are popular at nurseries, but it is hard to find the shrub. Reading the descriptions in Sunset, L. fragrantissima seems to match my memories the best. I don't remember it being fragrant, but I do remember the tiny soft red berries and the birds in the hedge rows.

Post Script: I some internet research - I think the bush I remember is Lonicera tatarica, Tartarian Honeysuckle.

This message was edited May 24, 2011 9:15 AM

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Wow! Can't believe this thread is going after all these years! Maybe we should collect all the info and write a book on the topic?!

Interesting info on the honeysuckles... I will add that it is nice to have two or three different red varieties that have different blooming times. That way the RTHU's always have a reason to visit the garden. From other online sites I have read that the old-fashioned red varieties have really nice nectar and are very popular with the hummers. And I have read that ruby-throats like to nest in birch and elm trees. We have several birches on our lot line and I have noticed hummers using them. (Swallowtails also like birches).

I am losing my ash trees to the Emerald Ash Borer and have been making a list of replacement trees using the info on this thread. It has been fun, but I'm afraid it will be an expensive proposition to replace twenty-five ash trees.

Which evergreens do you favor for the birds...? I am in the market for some and would like to buy what the birds like...

Thanks for all the posts! t.

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

I did an internet image search for Hummingbird nests to see if I could recognize the location. I didn't recognize every plant, but I did see several oak. I have Blue Spruce, and they seem to be condominiums for small sparrows and finches.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi everyone, I've have a question for those that have Mulberry tree, the kind that produces fruits and birds magnet. Recently I've lost a large ornamental cherry 'Yoshino' to flood condition. I soon will need to replace the cherry tree. I'm planning on getting a Mulberry tree for my backyard birds. Have you experience to share?

Well… as much as I love birds, I don't think I'd plant a mulberry tree. If it's not a white fruited variety then the dark ones really stain. Also, when the seeds pass through the birds, they sprout as scrub trees in the most unfortunate places. Fence lines, against houses, in hedge rows, etc.

however, they do provide nice shade. We had a HUGE white one growing up. the rotting fruit brought in the raccoons too! There are probably better choices for a yard.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

For tabasco:

Your first decision should be - how much ground space do I want to give up? If you have ample room, get the rapid growing and wide ranging species that will provide bird HQ sooner. This would include such staple conifers for the Ohio River valley as Eastern White Pine, Norway Spruce, and Eastern Hemlock. Add to that some interesting ones like Pinus x schwerinii 'Prairie Giant', Pinus koraiensis, and maybe just for fun try a Leyland Cypress (for as long as it lasts).

If you'd like the height but not the spread - not to worry! There are many fine but narrow conifers that gain height and welcome birds. Spring Grove is where to see old ones, and I can vouch for many of these right here at the Valley. Some great plants include Picea orientalis, Abies nordmanniana, Thuja plicata, Calocedrus decurrens, Abies homolepis, Abies concolor, and Picea omorika.

Lastly, you can throw in some American Holly for broadleaf evergreen characteristics and beaucoup fruiting in winter.

Thanks VV. for all the info. I was hoping you would chime in on my inquiry!

I will make a list and take it with me to the landscapers.

We did just plant 5 white pines along the lot line. And 5 more hollies went in this spring too.

Will take a field trip out to Spring Grove Cemetery/Arboretum and have a look around.

And by the way, can you suggest a Dogwood (that is of the spreading type, not the ones that grow straight up) that will survive along our woodland edge (and not be so susceptible to that virus)? We tried a 'spring grove' variety but lost it. Is it worth trying again, or maybe another?

Thanks. t.

Since you like birds, try them all (which means little ones, unless budget is no object).

If you only mean Cornus florida, then look for ones with 'Appalachian ___' in their name. There were a handful selected through research universities (mostly UT, I think) specifically for anthracnose resistance. 'Appalachian Spring', 'Appalachian Mist', 'Appalachian Blush' - might be making some of those up, but you get the idea. They are not greatly in circulation yet, but are working their way into the trade.

Well, lookee here - someone's loaded them into PlantFiles already...

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=cornus&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=florida&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=appalachian&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&searcher%5Bgrex%5D=&search_prefs%5Bblank_cultivar%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=genus&images_prefs=both&Search=Search

Thanks again, VV.

Just googled around for the Appalachian series and they seem to be just what I need. But can't find an online listing/seller around Cincy so will have to do some foot/phone work to search them out.

Yes, I suppose I could buy a few varieties and see what 'takes' here. That makes sense.

For anyone else interested in Dogwoods/Cornus, here is an article from The University of Tennessee on their Appalachian series research: http://agriculture.tennessee.edu/news/releases/0604-dogwood.htm

By the way, my baby red buckeyes are growing nicely, thanks to you!

Will keep an eye on this thread for any updates. t.

Glen Burnie, MD

On the topic of viburnums - I planted an arrowwood viburnum "blue muffin" against the foundation a couple years ago. It was describ ed as maybe 4ft by 4ft. Well, it's about 7ft x 6ft. It's gorgeous, but definitely a lot bigger than I intended for the spot I put it. With the berries coming in now, tho, the robins & catbirds are lovin' it!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Mrs. Ed. Thank you for your input in regarding the mulberry tree. Awww, I've fish in the pond to attract Racoons, no more "attractants" is needed. Sniff sniff*

Yes, carol13 - Blue Muffin® does not read its own advertisements. It has more density/compactness to its branching in my experience, but is definitely not smaller than other selections. I am growing about 25 different Arrowwood Viburnum selections currently. Little Joe™ is the only one that is remaining much smaller than others of equal age - roughly half as big.

Blue Blaze™ is another compact version, but is not small. It has reached 7' and as round in about 8 years.

Oh, dear, I just put in 3 'Blue Muffin' Viburnums this spring. I'd better move them apart! Thanks for the tip!

(Zone 5a)

Today a "neighbor" came by. We are so far in the boonies, any within a couple miles can be a neighbor. They are going around looking at properties that might have trees that would cause the field tile to not do its job and found a couple young mulberry trees on our property fence line near the tiles. She wanted to know if they can remove them. As we got to talking, I told her we would like to transplant them somewhere closer to the house for birds.

When I talked to my husband, he asked how big do they get, so I came here to find that out. I do not know the variety. It's quite a walk to that end of the property, but I assume it's the same as what's closer.

I read about the staining, but really, that doesn't bother us. Can these get pretty large, or more of a shrub size?

Thank you for your help.

Thumbnail by Chillybean
Marlton, NJ

Here is a link.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morus_(plant)

Mulberry is a pretty big tree. I grew up with one that was about 40' tall, and there are many here in Louisville in the parks that equal that size.

Out in Iowa, they might take a little longer to get up to mature height, but grow they will.

I grew up with a HUGE white mulberry. Would never want another one close to the house though. Too messy and stinky. And the raccoons would fight over the fruit every night. Plus, I'm always trying to get rid of them now along my fence and buildings. Stubborn.

(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the info. We'll have to think a little more. We've only known we had raccoons once since we've been here. And of course, that was when our sweet corn was about ready to pick. We've got plenty of land to work with, so maybe we can put the mulberry trees a ways from the house.

I have an Elderberry that self-seeded by the back door. It's getting pretty bushy and big this year (about 8 feet tall) and I assume the birds will like the berries. Right?

Anyway, am I in for a forty foot tall tree with this or will it stay shrublike?

And do the birds like it? And the butterflies? I can't see it from my windows so I can't tell if it's attracting any pollinator interest or not.

This thread is getting awfully long. I hate to cut it off and start a new one, but maybe we should...? LMK

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

tabasco, I vote to have a new thread with a link to this one so those that wished to return here they can. Thank you.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

We got several Elderberries from the Mo. Cons. Dept.. They are suppose to be good for erosion and the birds like the berries.

Birds definitely love the fruit. They have multiplied my Elderberry holdings over several areas of the Valley with their depositions.

The great big flowers are great venues for pollinators - and for photography.

Bloomington, IN(Zone 6a)

Re: mulberries - Lord, YES, they will grow!! I took a couple down 20 years ago and still fight the suckers. And - there's one that comes out of the base of my silver maple every year. I hack it and it's up 3' in as many weeks. Since it loves my yard so much, maybe it's what I should be planting, now that I think of it . . .

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

My husb. cut our mulberry tree down to about 5 feet. It kind of looks like a shrub now. He did not want a big Mulberry tree where it was located.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1193882/

OK Birdsters, We've had several requests so I've opened a Part 2 to Best Trees and Shrubs for the Bird Garden.

I didn't really want to give up on this one and file the info away because there are so many good tips and help here, but it really is getting awfully long and slow. And it's time for a new start.

So don't delay, skip right on over to the new one and we'll see you over there. t.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

**Bump**

Hiawatha, KS

Best Trees for the Bird Garden

Maple (Acer)

Birds and small mammals devour the seeds within the winged samaras of maples. The leaves also make these trees host plants to almost 300 butterfly and moth species.

Birch (Betula)

Many birch species have beautiful white, black or tan bark, and their conelike strobiles are a food source for birds and small mammals. Birch is the host plant for more than 400 species of butterflies and moths.

Spruce and Pine

Spruce and pine offer excellent year-round shelter and produce seed-filled cones that beckon birds and small mammals. Pines are the host plants for more than 200 butterflies and moths; spruce for more than 150.

Poplar (Populus)

Songbirds, waterfowl and small mammals love to feed on the cottony seeds of these trees, and more than 350 butterflies and moths eat its leaves.

Oak (Quercus)

The acorns feed everything from squirrels and deer to wild turkeys and black bears. More than 500 butterflies and moths are attracted to this host plant.

Willow (Salix)

Willow seeds feed a wide variety of songbirds, waterfowl and small mammals. The trees are host plants for more than 400 butterflies and moths.

Best Shrubs for the Bird Garden

Native shrubs can support large numbers of small insects – great for feeding nestlings – as well as encouraging birds such as tits, warblers and sparrows. In the winter, large flocks of redwings and fieldfares, the beautiful thrushes that visit our warmer shores from Scandinavia, relish the berries that our countryside offers.

Holly Slow growing, but probably the ultimate in bird-friendly hedging. Dense, prickly and evergreen, it ensures windproof shelter on cold winter nights.

Hawthorn Grow this in a hedge or as a small tree if you have space. The dark red haws are sought out by flocks of redwings and fieldfares in the winter and hawthorn’s prickly stems ensure good nesting places for finches, dunnocks, robins and blackbirds. Also has lots of small caterpillars for spring nestlings.

Guelder Rose This native shrub also has red berries but they ripen early and are softer than those of holly and hawthorn, making them more appealing to smaller birds, including black caps, garden warblers and robins, plus song thrushes and, if you are lucky, waxwings.

Hiawatha, KS

Best Trees for the Bird Garden

Maple (Acer)

Birds and small mammals devour the seeds within the winged samaras of maples. The leaves also make these trees host plants to almost 300 butterfly and moth species.

Birch (Betula)

Many birch species have beautiful white, black or tan bark, and their conelike strobiles are a food source for birds and small mammals. Birch is the host plant for more than 400 species of butterflies and moths.

Spruce and Pine

Spruce and pine offer excellent year-round shelter and produce seed-filled cones that beckon birds and small mammals. Pines are the host plants for more than 200 butterflies and moths; spruce for more than 150.

Poplar (Populus)

Songbirds, waterfowl and small mammals love to feed on the cottony seeds of these trees, and more than 350 butterflies and moths eat its leaves.

Oak (Quercus)

The acorns feed everything from squirrels and deer to wild turkeys and black bears. More than 500 butterflies and moths are attracted to this host plant.

Willow (Salix)

Willow seeds feed a wide variety of songbirds, waterfowl and small mammals. The trees are host plants for more than 400 butterflies and moths.

Best Shrubs for the Bird Garden

Native shrubs can support large numbers of small insects – great for feeding nestlings – as well as encouraging birds such as tits, warblers and sparrows. In the winter, large flocks of redwings and fieldfares, the beautiful thrushes that visit our warmer shores from Scandinavia, relish the berries that our countryside offers.

Holly Slow growing, but probably the ultimate in bird-friendly hedging. Dense, prickly and evergreen, it ensures windproof shelter on cold winter nights.

Hawthorn Grow this in a hedge or as a small tree if you have space. The dark red haws are sought out by flocks of redwings and fieldfares in the winter and hawthorn’s prickly stems ensure good nesting places for finches, dunnocks, robins and blackbirds. Also has lots of small caterpillars for spring nestlings.

Guelder Rose This native shrub also has red berries but they ripen early and are softer than those of holly and hawthorn, making them more appealing to smaller birds, including blackcaps, garden warblers and robins, plus song thrushes and, if you are lucky, waxwings.

Dogwood A great native shrub for a garden as it can be cut down in early spring to produce attractive red stems for the following winter. The black berries are eaten by many birds including finches, robins, pigeons, thrushes and starlings.

Ivy Mature ivy has a mass of very late ripening berries when many other natural food sources have been depleted.

Hi, Ray, Thanks for the list of favorite trees and shrubs and your notes for each! Very interesting that willows and oaks are so popular with the butterflies. I had no idea.

I'm happy to say I have at least eight on the list. Maybe I have poplar--I have to look that one up--not sure what it looks like. My willow died a couple of years ago and your mention of it reminded me to add it to my 'garden wants and needs' list!

If you think of anything else, please tell us! t.

Cape Canaveral, FL

Great list!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.