My Big Compost Dud!

Acton, TN(Zone 7a)

2 months later - green with envious beans! Let's see those fish scales bristle ms. mermaid! I've got lettuce sprouting under the pole bean arch.

Thumbnail by jozeeben
Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Wonderful thread

Judy

Acton, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks Judy! Here's Tcequa resting under the been trellis. Those bad cats like to lay on the new lettuce sprouts, too.

Thumbnail by jozeeben
Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Mr Cat is about to make me fall, he keeps darting across my path. I had 25 gallon pots, plenty of soil and some old seeds. I thought why not just dump all these lettuce seeds in the one pot because they probably won't germinate. I marked them well, but then got to thinking I was really having some serious senior moments when lettuce came up in the pot I had marked for peppers, then the peppers began to sprout. After a few minutes I remembered thinking the soil look disturbed the day after I planted them ... yep Mr Cat had decided to scratch himself out a sunny place to lay, or worse and in the process, flipped the lettuce seed all over the next pot. I call it lettuce that Mr Cat planted. I swear the seeds had to be 4 years old but I got at least 90% if not more germination.

Judy

San Antonio, TX

THANKS FOR THE COMPOST PICS I DIDN'T REALIZE I SHOULD BE MOVING AROUND SO MUCH

Acton, TN(Zone 7a)

Heder - not that you should but rather could! This is a fast / hot composting method. It works well just leaving compost in a pile but it will take longer. You can also sheet compost right in your beds with mulch also called the "Ruth Stout Method" or "Lasagna Gardening". Worm bins also compost at cooler temperatures.

Judy, we been saving lettuce seed every year and we have volunteers coming up everywhere. I like weeds you can eat. Mr. Cat sounds as helpful as our cats in the garden. They're suppose to be catching voles.

edited for brain damage

This message was edited Jun 9, 2007 6:50 AM

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

Definitely have green bean envy......that and envious of the size of your garden!
Looks great.

(Carole) Cleveland, TX(Zone 9a)

Fantastic thread... I have been amazed at your progress, Joe! What hard work! And terrific results.

You are an inspiration! I am MOST impressed!!

lazy gardener in the south texas heat!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.