fast growing hedges

Richmond, VA

Does anyone have any experience with hollywood/irish junipers?Ive read that using them for a privacy hedge/windbreak isnt wise.They are prone to wind/heavy snow damage.Would this hold true if they were being used as a privacy hedge only?These hedges seem to be the only ones that fit my needs.
Can anyone recommend a fast growing hedge that will naturally top off at 10 to 15 feet and also has a rather shallow root system.Im trying to avoid utility lines and water/sewer lines.Please any suggestions will be considered.

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Not that someone here won't have any ideas, but there's some real sharpies in the tree and shrub forum who would help you, too.

Richmond, VA

Thanks for the tip.I dont have a paid subscription.I cant post my question there.I did however mail a note to someone in the forum.
Hopefully Ill get a reply.

This message was edited Jan 15, 2007 10:29 AM

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

If you've had no more help, and only been reading, you might want to go to the best nursery around you and see what they suggest or say about that juniper.

Richmond, VA

Thanks.Actually, I did end up going to a nursery.They provided very detailed information.
They also suggested some underutilized plants that can be used as hedges.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.