Bald Eagle - It's that time !!!

Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

The courtship has begun and the nest building is well underway. The following link provides a view at the Bald Eagle Cam and Osprey Cam. Tune in !!!

http://www.friendsofblackwater.org/camcentral.html

Here is a photo (taken on 1/2/07) of a Bald Eagle gathering nest material..

This message was edited Jan 5, 2007 7:36 AM

Thumbnail by linthicum
Marlton, NJ

BEAUTIFUL pic Linth!! Thanks for the link.

Hebron, KY

Linthicum,

Wonderful, beautiful and majestic bird! Thanks for sharing the photo and link! Got both bird cams clicked on and waiting for the cams to reload. Getting excited!

Marilyn

Hebron, KY

The Osprey cam has the Bald Eagle on it ???

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Wow! Awesome photo! You must have been so excited to get the shot! But I'm noticing that all your photos are fabulous!

Brenda

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the link and great shots Linthicum!

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Incredible pic Linth

Hebron, KY

Every time I look at that Eagle pic, I want to salute it! LOL

Great and fantastic photo!

Thanks, everyone. There were two (2) Bald Eagles at the Osprey platform early this morning. Obviously, the Osprey left several months ago for points farther south. I would be surprised if the eagles prepared a nest on the Osprey platform. I live about 80 miles from this location but visit every chance I can because you never know what may be waiting to have its picture taken. On Tuesday (1/2/07), we also saw a Northern River Otter which was a first for me as well as the White Pelicans. I was hoping to see more Snow Geese and Tundra Swans but they were very limited that day. Always a lot of Great Blue Heron's.

Here is a photo of a Bald Eagle sitting on the Osprey platform on 12/17/06. This is the same platform that you see on the Osprey Cam. The Eagle Cam location is out of sight to the general public.

Thumbnail by linthicum
Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Thank you, thank you !

Dea

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Linth: So cool. I've bookmarked both cams. Thanks!
Deb

Hebron, KY

Linthicum,

I saw both Eagles this morning after you posted the link! Really cool and neat! I got the link bookmarked and watched both cams til evening.

I know this may sound like a stupid question, but why is the Eagle cam out of sight to the public?

Great photos you posted.

Marilyn

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Wow! How wonderful to see such a sight in person, not in the zoo. I'm in awe of it too.

Hebron, KY

I saw a Hawk on the nest on the Eagle cam! http://www.friendsofblackwater.org/camhtm2.html

First time since the link was posted! So Exciting!

This message was edited Jan 6, 2007 2:46 PM

Edited again to say.......... In my excitment earlier I referred to the Eagle as a Hawk. How could I be so stupid?! lol

This message was edited Jan 6, 2007 5:58 PM

Hebron, KY

There's a second one there now!

Hebron, KY

Linthicum posted the link for the cams the other day and I've been watching both and only saw the Eagles on the Osprey one. This is wonderful and so exciting!

;-))

Marilynbeth, you asked about the eagle cam visibility to the public. This area draws a lot of traffic for the sole purpose of seeing Bald Eagles. The exact location of the nest is not divulged to the general public for obvious reasons. They should not be disturbed during the nesting season since we need as many nesting sites as possible . At 6:30 p.m. this evening, there was a pair on the eagle cam nesting site.

In 2006, the first egg was laid on 1/17/06 and the second on 1/19/06. They assume a 35 day incubation period. Last year's hatch dates were 2/21/06 and 2/23/06, respectively.

I look forward to visiting Blackwater as often as I can. Although I have taken quite a few photos of the eagles, I still look for that perfect shot. Here's another photo to wet the appetite.

I'm glad you all enjoy them. Their recovery from the brink of extinction has been amazing.

Thumbnail by linthicum

Here is a photo taken by the eagle cam of the two eagles at the nest. It was about 5:30 p.m., not 6:30 p.m. this evening.

Thumbnail by linthicum
Hebron, KY

I didn't get to see the cams then, because it shows (and still shows) 3:17 pm and 3:16 pm for today. I missed seeing them again! :-((

It didn't reload for me.

Thanks Linthicum for sharing that last pic.

Your previous photo is beautiful!

Saturday morning, I visited a local park and caught two (2) Bald Eagles perched on an electric pole (a high pole).
I took about 100 photos of them from different angles. Here is a couple of them.

Thumbnail by linthicum

Another ....

Thumbnail by linthicum

And, lastly .... looking straight upward.

Thumbnail by linthicum
Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Astonishing (I'm running out of adjectives when it comes to your photos, Linth!). Were those taken with the 500 mm lens?

The last one literally made me gasp!

Murmur, thanks and yes they were taken with my new Nikon 500mm prime lens. It was my first day out with it but it is so heavy it gives you a workout. It's not for use without a tripod. I had a perfect setting but I wished the sun had been out to shed more light on their feathers.

Here's another that I forgot.

Thumbnail by linthicum
Hebron, KY

Quoting:
Astonishing (I'm running out of adjectives when it comes to your photos, Linth!).

You took the words right outta my mouth Murmur! lol

Fantastic shots Linth, as always!

Again, I cannot come up with a new adjective - or what that does these photos justice. I'm going to have to drag out my thesaurus!

Thanks so much for sharing these - they really are a treat, Linth.

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Gosh...they are breath-taking, both the birds and the pictures. Gosh, with my mouth wide open is all I could think of too! Just looking at them makes me all patriotic feeling. :)

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Linth, you have so captured the majesty of these birds! Awesome!
...Gotta get a lens... :)
~Amy

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Linth - You done a beautiful job of capturing their majesty and regalness. Thank you for sharing with us and please post more!
Sharon

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Wow! Linth, how fortunate that with your talent you live in an area to photograph these beautiful birds. Just fantastic pictures....Thanks!

Just wanted to alert interested parties that the female Bald Eagle has been sitting on the nest for most of the day and night which is a good sign that she may be laying an egg and/or eggs. The Eagle Cam at Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge and the accompanying dialogue help further the understanding of the behavior of the Bald Eagle.

http://www.friendsofblackwater.org/camhtm2.html

Thanks, Linth! I had just been looking at your thread, thinking I had a lot to learn before I will be getting photos like yours!

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

ooooh thank you!!
She's a beauty!

She's sitting on one egg this morning ..... hopefully, she will incubate at least one more.

Portland, OR(Zone 8a)

Linth !! what a great tread that is . Thanks for a link , gorgeous photos .Keep us posted with those eggs .

DFW area, TX(Zone 7b)

I love it ! Thanks a bunch.

Glenview, IL

Wow-I am at awe!! Love to hear more on the babies. You got great shots, My fave is the last one.

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

Awesome Eagle shots. I am green with jealosy! I work at a gravel pit, which is of course close the East Fork of the White River . We have been seeing eagles occasionly (SP) for the last three years. This year, I was privileged to watch one build a nest directly in my line of sight from my computer terminal. We have a pair hunting together, but so far no nesting activity. I so wish they would nest where I can watch them. But I imagine they will nest further north on the river. It is awesome to watch them come straight down into the gravel pit and come out with large fish . The biggest fish, they take to the bank and spend hours eating. It is so great to see them . They were reintroduced here in Indiana a few years ago and it seems like the population continues to grow. I take my camera to work in hope of getting a good shot of them, but so far they have not been within
range. Thanks for posting these shots. Lou

Glenview, IL

Hi Lou, nice to see you here. It's great you have Eagles, right where you can watch them. I hope someday you will be able to capture them on film.
At the Wisconsin house we have a family too. They perch in one of our trees and fish on the lake. What a sight!
Still have yet to capture them on film too.
Dunno how you get any work done. LOL- I'd be too busy watching the Eagles!
Judy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.