Helleborus - what is it doing? PART TWO

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Whoa, that's a bigun'! And really pretty, too!

You have the most beautiful hellebores, Gina.

Richmond, VA

thanks kb but i think the credit really goes to the bees

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I think it's a team effort. :-) Good job!

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Beautiful Hellebores, everyone.

Here are a couple of Hellebore blooms this month from my garden.

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

#4 Red Lady beginning to flower.

Thumbnail by Shirley1md
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I love that green one, Shirley1md!

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Shirley, they are all very pretty but I like the Red Lady best. It is my color. thanks for posting. Donna

Thanks kbaumle and Donna. I too am more partial to the reddish colored one. Unfortunately, it was a bit floppy when I took the picture and I wish that it had been opened more fully. Perhaps next time, it will cooperate more.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

How long does it take the pod of seeds to develop? When is the best time to harvest them?
Thanks,
Teresa

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Shirley, perfect beauties, both of them!

Thank you bonitin.

Richmond, VA

We finally got some snow - and i'm already doing the hand crosses

Thumbnail by mcgina
Richmond, VA

here's another

Thumbnail by mcgina
Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

If you leave the bloom on do they make a seed pod? How soon do you harvest them? I had a couple of babies come up last year. I really want more of the new red one.
Thanks,
Teresa

This message was edited Feb 2, 2007 8:21 AM

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

My seed were ready in early June last year, they dropped quickly once it turned very hot. I think other years they have been a little later, I sow seed from late July to early August, they should be given a chance to dry first.

mcgina what a beauty! We are having another warm spell, so sunny and warm feeling today at 50F, by Monday it will be colder again but this warmth and cold helps to germinate the seeds. I notice after each cold spell, when it's warmer I have more germinating.

My last 2 year old seedling is close to opening, it has red veins on the leaf bases. That looks to be the lot for early floweirng, 2 white/green, and the dark one as well as this. I'm very pleased with them!

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I can't even find my hellebores right now. They're buried under the snow.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

kb I'm with you no sign of mine yet. At least we had snow protection for our very cold weather. This morning it is 11 degrees. Yesterday we had nice sun all day even tho lots of hoarfrost on the trees and shrubs, so it must have been foggy during the night.

I think I know where my computer stored my few pictures from last year of Helleborus. I want to find some nice doubles. I know Dan Hinkley had some beautiful doubles.

well, guess I can't send the photo, just keeps telling me file not found, and I know i looked at it a couple of days ago.

Thumbnail by rutholive
Richmond, VA

rutholive - i've never bought hellebores from Dan but have been very pleased with anything else he sends - great size, well-rooted, well packed, the epis I got from hime were huge, i was able to divide them before planting I know he has doubles, but from the extremely reasonable price - $19.95 - they might be seedlings, rather than divisions - so call and ask before you order
I've been disappointed by the double seedlings I got from Pineknot.

http://www.heronswood.com/

Image is a pot plant, i don't think i've ever seen such a definite star shape

Thumbnail by mcgina
Richmond, VA

oops, send the wrong picture, do we like this or is it too un-hellebore like?

Thumbnail by mcgina
Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Well, I do wish it were able to buy a helleborus from the now non-existant Herronswood, I would do so quickly.

Donna

Richmond, VA

rutholive - check that link, you can buy from the new heronswood
i bought plants after they sold to Burpee's and found the quality to still be excellent and much of the original staff is still there

Richmond, VA

got another good one

Thumbnail by mcgina
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

It sure is! Just look at the blush and that ruffly collar!

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

That is a feminine beauty! The first thing that popped in my mind was it looks like a Victorian blouse, with a ruffled collar.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

My blooms look sad now after being under snow. Hopefully, it will not hurt seed production.

Richmond, VA

neal, you really are a poet
Winterwoods introduction 'Victorian Lace'

I'm putting together a slide show for the garden club lectures I do - does anyone have a picture of a bee on a bloom? full credit given of course

our temps are single digits so no bees are flying, but the pollen is ripe as seen in this picture - not sure how this will affect seed production

Thumbnail by mcgina
Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Mcgina, I have a picture of a bee on a bloom, but it is not a hellebore.

Thumbnail by bonitin
Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Could not resist this one and bought it, but I'll have to break my head to find a suitable place for it. I'll keep it in a pot untill a place comes free.

Thumbnail by bonitin
Richmond, VA

thanks bonitin, may i use it? with the dave's copyright info? your new baby is lovely, i'm especially fond of the picotees

I'm posting this one again because i really want to know what you all think - is it too weird?

Thumbnail by mcgina
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

mcgina, I like that star shape; not too weird for me (but then...consider the source...LOL). I also think it could be useful in breeding. If a double showed up with petals like that it would have sort of a dahlia look I imagine.

bonitin, Love that picotee! I see why you could'nt pass it up.

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Sure, Mcgina, you can use it.

That last hellebore of yours certainly has an original shape, but personally I wouldn't fall in love with. Might be interesting though for further crossings like gemini suggests.

I really like the one with the collar inside and the subtle blush.

Richmond, VA

bonitin - thanks for letting me use the picture - and i agree, i'm not in love with that peculiar bloom but will try and knock up a double with it

you can't really tell in the picture but this bowl of blooms has been frozen SOLID on my porch for 5 days - gotta love these winter bloomers, but i'm ready for it to warm up alittle

Thumbnail by mcgina
Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

What a wonderful collection you have there Mcgina! I love them all!

I'm also longing for warmer weather, but today, it looks like winter has just set in over here. So I'll have to practice more patience! Sigh...

Thumbnail by bonitin
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Wow, I love that photo and that color, bonitin!

This is getting long, so here's Part Three..........

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/691619/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.