Helleborus - what is it doing? PART TWO

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

This is a continuation of the first thread, which can be found here: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/549141/

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Very delicate coloring and form on that one. Lovely!

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

That was taken here on May 1st of 2006, shortly after its planting. If I remember right, it was in bloom when I got it from Park's Seed. Pine Knot Lenten Rose, I think. I also bought a couple from Lowe's, so it might be from that, also. Do you think it's the Pine Knot one?

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I just walked outside to check on the helleborus and I definitely have flower buds! Looks like they will be deep magenta.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks everyone for your kind remarks on the other Hellebore thread.

McGina: Hope you recover quickly from that spider bite.

kbaumle: Very nice soft shading on your Hellebore. It would be difficult to say that it came from Pine Knot Farms because they have so many different varieties. I have one from them that blooms with light greenish flowers.

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

My 2 year old seedling has 6 flower buds, the next one to open doesn't look to have green tips and has a purple plum hue on the back. Each branch has 2 flowers with 2 more near the base. Not bad for a plant that has only just turned 2.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Queen of the Night is coming up quickly now.

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Thats amazing! The big, sturdy transplants I bought took 2 years to bloom. That color is scrump. I would love to see a rock wall with those nodding blooms looking down at me! I love nodding blooms, but when they're short I'm constantly trying to find ways to show them off.

I've just been comparing the flowers to QOTN and Red Shades. None of the Red Shades have the smaller stems with flowers at the base of the stem , QOTN does. The stamens look more like Red Shades, but petal shape is pointed on Red Shades where it is rounded on QOTN and on the seedling but the bud shape looks like RS. The colour on the backs comes from RS, it has a purplish bloom but this has taken the colour of QOTN and mixed the two. QOTN has a dark red stem, this is green. I have a very robust hybrid!

I'm posting pics which show these characeristics

QOTN

This message was edited Jan 8, 2007 8:48 PM

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Red Shades

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

QOTN is gorgeous!!!!! Mine that has buds hasn't opened yet, and now that we are getting colder weather, I don't know if they will open. It's sunny today, though, so maybe by the end of the day it will be enough, but I kind of doubt it.

This is the next seedling with red colour, at the moment it looks closer to QOTN.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

kb we are having fairly mild weather, not warm but warmer than usual, anything between 6 to 10C or 50F. Today it was supposed to be 11C day, 11C n ight and 12C tomorrow, but I don't think it got there.

I can't wait to see the white ones, they will likely have red spots but the first lot I grew from the spotty Ashwood garden hybrid took 3 to 4 years to flower and this has done it in 2. So far there are 2 whites.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

This is Red Shades yesterday

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

I need to go out and cut off the older leaves so I can see the flowers. They are there, but they are hiding under the huge leaves.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Janet, just love your QOTN. What a color those are! I need to post my pics too.
Carol

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Took a picture of mine before it got dark. There are five flower buds.

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Richmond, VA

temps here have plummeted from 70's to 40's - a good thing but i'm not hardened off
neal - the pie pan idea is brilliant, maybe alittle labor intensive for as many plants as i have and as few pies as i bake, will experiment with an aluminum foil alternative
here and following are some pics of anemones and doubles in bloom now (!!!!!)

Thumbnail by mcgina
Richmond, VA

this is one of the belgium doubles from graham rice
dainty, smaller blooms, less vigorous - well, maybe not his year

Thumbnail by mcgina
Richmond, VA

this is a volunteer - undoubtedly from the white 2x on my web page - next pic

Thumbnail by mcgina
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

mcgina, should I be seeing anything yet from the seeds I planted that you sent?

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh, that volunteer is so ruffly and pretty!!!

Richmond, VA

this is the spotted white double on my home page - www.winterwoods.net
- i bought 3 small pine knot doubles last year and am hoping to see blooms this year, so far plants are puny and disappointing, stay tuned

Thumbnail by mcgina

Beauties! The last one has loads of buds on, the mild weather must have suited it. I like the littel ruff on the first one, great colour too.

kb, yours is going to be dark too, be sure to get pics!

I had a peek inside one of the whites and there is no spots!

Richmond, VA

kbaumle- yes, the seeds should have germinated, if they are under a brick, take it off now

Nice flower though! Does anyone else get crosses in the boxes on your site? Some have the multi-colour little rectangles.

Richmond, VA

wallaby1- if you right click on the cross do you get a show picture option?

is your QON really as red as it appears in pics - i would kill for that color
the seeds you sent me have not germinated yet, maybe jet lag??

I just tried clicking and all I get is the list of 'show proerties' etc.

Yes the colour is spot on, you should get some that come out like that with all the seeds, of course some crosses too but the bud you see on the next seedling looks the same.

I got a daylight pic of the first seedling to show the colur of the outside of the bud, it has a real dark smoky purple effect. The pic is very close to the true colour.

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

mcgina, I took the bricks off in the second week of december. So you're saying that I should see something coming up through the soil now?

:-(

I wouldn't worry too much about germination yet, I still only have the first 3 showing. They have probably started, waiting for the correct temperature changes to come through.

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

And I'm two zones colder than you are, wallaby, so I won't worry. :-)

I need to change my zone in my profile, what with the new zone maps bumping me up to a warmer one! I'm in 6!

So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

I'm so thrilled. The Silver Lace my neighbor gave me summer before last from a division has just taken off this year. It's loaded with buds and looks healthy and is an amazing vibrant deep green.

Thumbnail by KatyMac
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Silver Lace is lovely; it looks very happy. Do you know its parentage? What color are the blooms?

g_s, No, sorry. I'm a novice and just repeating what she told me. She was moving at the time and generously gave me several of her divisions before she left. By the color of the buds I"m guessing it will be basically white. I can't wait to see!

Silver Lace is an argutifolius selection. I love the leaves on those.

http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog/Current/Detail/06567.html

Oh my wallaby1, that is just beautiful! I have it tucked in front of my front porch and I wish now it were in a more prominent place. I faces NW and gets a few hours of morning sun in the summer only. It seems to like it's location so I'd better leave well enough alone I guess. I have maybe a dozen Royal Heritage in different stages of growth too, about half (the 2 year olds) have buds too.

Thumbnail by KatyMac
Richmond, VA

we've had a week of 60-70 degree temps, things are going crazy, snowdrops, witch hazel, daffodils and crocus, hepatica, some azaleas blooming !!!! here are some recent pics of plants in the ground

Thumbnail by mcgina
Richmond, VA

the pot plants (sale stock) are going full tilt as well and i don't have my first sale until may, so i'm taking pictures and struggling with describing the infinite varieties of pink and purple, also getting alot of yellows this year which pleases me

Thumbnail by mcgina

mcgina what a gorgeous mass of flowers I can see in the first pic! I love the speckly effect of the second one. They all look very happy.

That is warm, soundslike our summer temps! We have had it up to 13C (56F) which is unheard of for January. I have fuchsias with flower buds! We are still getting days back to the low to upper 40's which is not too bad.

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I'm in love..................

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.