Hawk back to the woodpile

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

Today, he let me get about 12 feet from him before he took off.

Thumbnail by betterbloom
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

He looked pretty terrified! LOL!!

Now see that's the part where I'd have to thaw out a dead bird from the freezer. :O

Marlton, NJ

Thats really neat, you must have been thrilled. Last time this happened to me I was literally shaking from excitement.

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

He's been here for awhile so maybe he's getting use to me. He really doesn't like it when you watch him eat, he really gives you the evil then.
And Magpied, you have dead birds in your freezer, really ? And they are there for ?

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Awesome photo, BB, absolutely awesome.

bb,

Having birds in the freezer was part of wildlife rehab. It starts innocently and then gets outta hand... lol Reason #1: Too busy with live birds to bury a dead bird, didn't want to discard in trash. Reason #2: future necropsy or to lab.

At first, all of this is extremely unappealing but, eventually, one isn't even phased by it because all sanity has gone by the wayside anyway. ;-) Which brings us to Reason #3: an unusual or uncommon species (kinda like show and tell), Reason #4: not emotionally up to the 'goodbye' if extremely emotionally attached. It took many years before I did it for Reason #5: saved the "healthy dead" (oxymoron, I know) for food for certain birds... not so much for my birds as for two others who could utilize them more than I.

Right now, I have a meadowlark. Just cuz. It had just been hit by a car and I didn't want to leave it there. I might have a rail (lol). And one more I can't remember offhand. And... my last crow that died of WNVirus :( ...and darn it, an Inca dove that hit a window and broke its neck. Since it was only dead for a few minutes, I put it in the freezer just in case. Well one never knows when a really desperate hawk might show up. Well one kind of suspects it's not nearly as likely as it used to be but old habit DO die hard. I used to joke with the other volunteers that I was going to make a bird mobile. It *does* occur to me that this is very warped rehab humor, kinda like in M*A*S*H where the levity is much needed.

Marlton, NJ

Geez, and to think my DH complains about mealy worms in the fridge,lol.

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

(LOL) Sounds logical to me. Why wouldn't everyone want birds in their freezer for show & tell? And if my hawk ever gets desperate I'll send him your way. Really it's not that insane, your just well preparred.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

betterbloom, what a great photo, and how lucky that you were able to get so close! Beautiful!

Brenda

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

It looks so sweet in the top pic bb.....:-) Neat, on getting closer!
Great closeup pics now, I can see the shins better, and it is younger than the one that comes here most of the time.

This message was edited Jan 2, 2007 8:27 AM

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

I think there is two different ones, the other one is bigger. This one has been around lately and likes to sit on the trelis behind the pond. I've been waiting to see if he's going to go in it, but, he just looks, and then moves over to the woodpile. I just know him and the owl have got to be taking a birdie bath somewhere .

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Magpied, you have such a fascinating background with birds - I lurked in the "Can we have a birdwatching forum?" and really appreciated all you wrote. So thank you.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

LOL BB.... They are waiting on what *is* coming to take a bath, truth be known.. Your comment made me bust out laughing tho, mental pic of them takin a wee birdie bath.. too funny! Would be an odd sight, but maybe someone will pop up and have a picture of such a thing... knowing DG.

I'm beaming about the new forum too Murmur! Thx Magpied for all the helpful things and the thread, etc.
Nice work EVERYBODY!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.