Hawks over the garden...

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

I have to post a few photos taken this morning with my new camera... this is in our front yard...

Thumbnail by bsavage
Marlton, NJ

GREAT shot b! I love Hawks.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Here is the pair on top of the power pole...

Thumbnail by bsavage
Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

WOW - great shots!

Dea

Marlton, NJ

b, what type of hawk is this?

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

The bigger one showing off...

Thumbnail by bsavage
Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

wow what awesome shots!!!

Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

Looks like the Harris's Hawk ....

bsavage, what camera, lens did you get ? Excellent photos !!!

This message was edited Jan 1, 2007 3:36 PM

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

I don't know what kind of hawk they are, so I'll leave identifying to all of you experts!

In flight...

Thumbnail by bsavage
Hebron, KY

Bsavage,

Do you know what the Hawk is carrying in its claws in the first photo? Great photos!

Marilyn

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

It's a Nikon D200, 18 - 70 mm zoom lens, photos cropped and sharpened. I am a complete novice, so I am amazed at what can be done with this camera. It did come highly recommended, by everyone! Pricey but worth it, I think!

Can't wait for my local Cardinals to show up...

one more in flight...

Thumbnail by bsavage
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

He actually doesn't have anything in his claws there... he's just got HUGE legs and talons! He was getting ready to land on the post.

Brenda

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

Great pictures, and you were quit lucky to get two sitting together. I love hawks too, but wish they would learn to adapt to bird seed, and not my little birdies.

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Yep, some wonderful shots of the Harris's Hawks, bsavage !

- Magpye

Thumbnail by Magpye

Nice camera, Brenda!

Harris' hawks hang out--and hunt--in family groups, something not too common among hawks. I'd venture to say that this is unique to Harris' hawks in N America but I'm only 99% sure about it. :)

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Hi Loreen! Thought you might like those photos! And thanks Magpye for the info!

Ok, your pics really put mine to shame but here goes anyway! I had to take these from in the house through a dirty window... while walking 5 miles uphill in the snow, too ;o

On the aviary...

This message was edited Jan 1, 2007 2:33 PM

Thumbnail by

In the pine tree...

Thumbnail by
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Those are great shots, Loreen! Love the facial detail!

Marlton, NJ

Very nice!!

Braselton, GA(Zone 8a)

bsavage,
GREAT pix!! You are so blessed to have those hawks. They aren't many around here any more due to loss of habitat. Sure wish I had a few to control the rodent population- and to look at.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Question is WHO is looking at WHO?? LOL!
Good shots both of you! I love to see the hawks, but never had a camera or been close enough for a shot.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

At one point I wondered if the big hawk was considering *me* for breakfast...

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

LoL bsavage!
I love your hawk!! As better said, it is really lucky to get a pair together too!

Quoting:
I had to take these from in the house through a dirty window... while walking 5 miles uphill in the snow, too ;o

How challenging is that?? What wont we do to get a picture of a bird...hehe
I like your peek-a-boo birdy pics:0)

Melbourne, FL

This Hawk has been hanging around lately. This pole is in my neighbors yard, so this was a zoom shot. I think it's a Red-shouldered Hawk. The pics are so great....that Harris Hawk is gorgeous!

This message was edited Jan 1, 2007 8:54 PM

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Gardenpom, that is a gorgeous photo too! And thanks, debnes!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

gardenpom,
I get a sense that the hawk in your picture has been around the block a few times, for some reason... His coutenance I suppose. Will lurk to see exactly which hawk....:)

Marlton, NJ

LOL, Deb are you talking about the grey head??

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Maybe so pelle, but something in the eyes too..lol

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
This Hawk has been hanging around lately. This pole is in my neighbors yard, so this was a zoom shot. I think it's a Red-shouldered Hawk

Yes, Red-shouldered Hawk

Resin

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

gardenpom, what zoom lens did you use to get that shot? It really is awesome. I'm going to want to get a bigger zoom lens next.

Melbourne, FL

That was taken with my Olympus Ultra Zoom(point and shoot) with it's existing lens, plus another lens that fits over the existing lens that I have found increases the zoom only a little. I don't have an SLR as yet.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Wow! Well done, gardenpom!

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Great hawk pictures!

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

incredible pics

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.