Camellia's in full bloom

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

I almost forgot that I have one called "Jury's Yellow". Unfortunately it has only had one bloom that I know of and I remember it being a very pale yellow. It also seems to be very slow growing. I need to check and see if it has any buds on it.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Gloria!

Thanks for that great link! I have been racking my brain trying to come up with some homemade system like that. That one is utterly perfect in its simplicity.

I have a supposedly Zone 6 hardy Camelia, C. oloensis, or something like that. The name is outside and outside is dark. It is now in its first winter outside, but seems to be doing well. We've been warm, to be sure, but we did get to around 10F one night.

Gotta say, Camelia flowers are wonderfully beautiful. I'm jealous the my choices are so limited here.

Scott

Greensboro, AL

Decumbent: I got this idea from Heathrjoy. She has modified it somewhat as discussed under the Winter Sowing forum. i got my rope lights today. The string comes 18 ft long. Supposedly, the rope can be shortened, but I don't immediately see how. Anyhow, she says it is a cheap way to get bottom heat--and if the plants have bottom heat they wont freeze. Go with it--Ill be watching to see how it works for you. Oh. Yes. I read that the minimum rooting temp for camellias is 65 degrees. So if you have 40, you probably wont get any rooting until it warms up. I think most people root camellias as greenwood cuttings, and for stuborn ones they air layer. Good Luck.

Savannah, GA(Zone 8b)

Starlight,

There are some camellia species that do have yellow flowers. Hopefully, we will have more yellow flowers one day as more hybridization is done with these yellow flowering species and the varieties that most of us are familiar with. I took this picture of Microcarpa Species in my garden this fall. I have several different yellow flowering camellias.

Thumbnail by GenePhillips
Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Thank you for the link Gloria. When I head to Lowe's this weekend, I will have to see if I can find these rope lights. Never seen or heard of them before. Hope good directions come with them cuz I have no electrical skills at all. : (

Well, now I know why they are taking their good ole time. I had mentioned I wanted to grow some Camellia's , so my friends brought me all these cuttings, and a bunch of boxwoods too. Their hearts were in the right place, just the wrong time of the year for taking cuttings, and I sure wasn't going to let them die.

Whoooo-hooooooo. I am so glad I mentioned yellow. I never knew there were any at all. Everybody always says there is only red, pink, white and shades of the above. I have a 4 page list of about 60 cultivars covering the above cultivars and not a yellow mentione d anywhere's.

I woudl to have more yellow names and cultivars, so I hunt them down and get some. I am a hybridizing nut. Gotta dab, dab, dab. I'd like to take some of the yellow cultivars and cross them with ones like Snowman, White Empress, White Daikagura and Setsugekka. May end up with alot of pink and red variations in the seedlings at first, but with a bunch of outcrossing and backcrossing, somewhere you would might get a nice yellow. Just have to grow out thousands and thousands of seedlings and have several years patience.

Escambia and Gene would love to see more pics of your yellow ones if you have them. Yellow Camellia's , man am I excited!!!!!! : )

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

Since mine is not blooming, here is a link to one http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/119484/index.html

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

I hope mine looks like this someday http://www.gardenbuddies.com/forum/messages/4300/1148452.jpg

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

Here's another one called "Lemon Glow" http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/102636/

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Gene this your site? I've been wanting to come for a visit.

Oops, someone told me Dave's doesn't like commerical links.

This message was edited Jan 7, 2007 11:07 PM

Savannah, GA(Zone 8b)

Starlight,
This another yellow flowering camellia. It is a hybrid from Japan called 'Ki-No-Gozan'.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Very nice Gene. Yellow gives the Camellia a whole different look to me. Been hunting on the web to try and find some to buy and it not easy.

Found some very interesting sites and readings. Was reading about C. chrysantha, which I think has been renamed to C. nitidissima. Looks like I may have to try and find somebody in China to try and get some.

Wonder if the C. nitidissima would come true if I could get some seeds of it. Not even sure if it makes seed yet.

Savannah, GA(Zone 8b)

Starlight,

C. nitidissima will set seed, and the seedlings will be similar, yet slightly different from each other, but they should have yellow flowers. You should be able to order a plant of C. nitidissima from Camellia Forest Nursery at www.camforest.com They also have a yellow formal double called 'Kagirohi' that is very nice.

I have done some breeding work with C. nitidissima. I have included a picture of one of my hybrid seedlings that was a cross of C. nittidissima X C. Hybrid 'Golden Glow'. I am still evaluating this seedling, so it does not have a name at this point.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Darn it. Hit the wrong button and erased all my typing. grrrrrrrr.

Gene.. I would call that baby 'Whipped Butter.' When I first saw it that's what it reminded me of. Fresh creamed, sweet churned butter. Yummy! What's the bloom size on it? How much longer before you decide to put it in to production or not? That's the hardest part of the whole process of any hybridization to me is the evaluation waiting time.

I got the order form down loaded from Camellia Forest. Thank you. Gonna get a couple C. nitidissimia and a few others. : ) That way I will have plenty of blooms to dab with. Have you found it to set pods easily? Is it pod and pollen fertile?

While hunting for a pic of 'Kagirohi,' I came across this web site. You seen it yet? The list of Camellias is extensive. I been sitting here scrolling over and clicking on a bunch of the differnet cultivars names checking them out. Most have descriptions and several have pics to go with them.

http://zipcodezoo.com/Key/Plantae_Tracheophyta_Magnoliopsida_Theales_Theaceae.asp

Savannah, GA(Zone 8b)

starlight,
Thanks for the link. It does have a lot of information. Glad that you are able to get the plants of
C. nitidissima. It will work as a seed parent or as a pollen parent. One thing that you need to know is that the yellow color is recessive in camellias to the dominant colors of red and pink. The best chances of passing the yellow flowering characteristic to the seedling will be acheived by crossing C. nitidissima with white or light pink flowering varieties. C. nitidissima sets seeds fairly readily.

Thanks for the name suggestion as well for the seedling. I need to find out if the seedling will propagate readily from cuttings and whether it is susceptible to disease before it is named. You are right. The evaluation is the hardest part of the process. The seedling's flower size is about
3-3.5 inches in size.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.