Fall/Winter Tomatos II

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Starting a new thread on New Years Day as the original is getting kinda long. A pic of each garden. First - the original garden planted in mid-Oct (the one that only gets 5-6 hours of dun per day. ) Twelve plants all doing fairly well

Thumbnail by aries44
Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Garden #2 - the strip garden. Planted 10 days after the first. Eleven plants in the ground and two in an eb. Starting to get colorful!

Thumbnail by aries44
Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Garden #3 planted early Nov. Thirteen plants here. (Plus beans and cukes)

Thumbnail by aries44
Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Last one - the pic of the day. Half a Rose, an Aunt Ginny's Purple and a healthy OTV Bwine.

Thumbnail by aries44
Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Sigh - I can almost taste that drippy, ripe Rose...

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Yum Yum Flip! My DH said they look good too. My plants don't ever seem to look that lush and nice as yours!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Drooling here in TX.

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Pic o' the day - Picked a couple of new ones today, others gettin' ripe now. Here's an Earl of Edgecomb, a small Sudduth, a healthy Rose and an Aunt Ruby's German Green.

This message was edited Jan 2, 2007 2:39 PM

Thumbnail by aries44
SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Flip,
Looking good in the neighborhood! I'll start my seedlings this weekend! So excited!

Cypress, TX(Zone 9a)

I am going to start my seeds this weekend also.

Ooooooooooooooh Fool, keep in touch with me on your progress, and let's compare notes!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I think I am starting mine this week too! So excited.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Hey Folks

Looks great flip

IM back. LOL planned, and had a wedding a week before thanksgiving---son is now married. then thanksgiving, then xmas. Im ready for a break.
Im ready to grow tomatoes. Will sow seed last week in Jan. Too chicken to start seed sooner than that. Afraid they will get too big before i can set them out in greenhouse beds.
By the way-----I had tomatoes at xmas off my sunroom tomato plant. They were so good. I threw the plant out after I noticed a nice family of white flies. Been cleaning the white flies off my house plants ever since. UGG

Cricket

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Cricket, good to hear from you! Congrats on your son's marriage!

I'll be starting my seeds on the 8th, I think. I can't let Merae get too far ahead of me! haha.

Michelle

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I will be starting mine on the 6th...only 2 days ahead of you my friend. :-)

I'm with Merae on the 6th. My 50th b'day is on the 8th!

P.S. Since we're all planting around the same time, let's keep video diaries of our progress and make sure to post the pics so we can compare notes together. What'd ya'll think of this idea? My camera's empty and ready to start snapping!

This message was edited Jan 3, 2007 9:41 AM

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Time for a few pics - the action is beginning here as many maaters are changing colors and ripening. The plants are really loaded, many with 20-30 fruit on them and still flowering merrily along.

This is for Sequee, our birthday girl - Anna Russian. Sequee, this is the smallest mater in the ripening stage on this plant. There are others much larger and this plant is really getting a lot of fruit. I think you'll have great luck with it. I'll report back after tasting it...tonite!

Thumbnail by aries44
Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Here's a Galinas - a yellow, potato leafed cherry. Pretty decent tasting.

Thumbnail by aries44
Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Here's a couple of Mortgage Lifters

Thumbnail by aries44

I'm thinking about how to build a better tomato cage....

Cypress, TX(Zone 9a)

Don't cage them. Trellis them.

Thumbnail by foolcontrol

"Don't Fence Me In!"

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Flip - Is it time for that account number, maybe next week? That Anna Russian is beautiful! What did you think of the taste?

-Kim

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Hey Kim,
It could be pretty soon. I tell you from yesterday to today - I can hardly describe how much more color has gotten into the maters and how many more I see. There's hundreds. You saw it last year. I'm telling you, barring a mater epidemic in my back yard, this year's looking better than last. The Sudduths and Briannas this years have 4x more maters on them, at least! Everything's doing very well save the two virused-out plants and even on them I saw new maters. I'm gettin' lucky in my old age.

Today I picked a few Sudduths, a Brianna and gobs of Galinas and Sungolds. I also kept stringing up vines everywhere. (I really like the concrete reinforcing mesh as a trellis/support system. That looks like the best way for me.) Then I sprayed for the buggies. Time for some beers!

Flip,
Explain your concrete reinforcing mesh trellis/support system, please. Thanks.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Your Anna Russian plant looks very pretty - nice foliage. Now, my dear, time for the report on your taste test?

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

The Anna Russian was sweet and juicy but I'm holding out on a final judgement until I eat a few more. This was the first ripe one on the vine. I have a lot of bigger ones that may taste even better once they're ripe. I'll be sure to let you know!

GG - all you do for my "system" is go to HD and buy some of the concrete reinforcing mesh, cut it (with bolt cutters) to the size you like (mine are half-cylindrical - about 4' across and 6' high. Then I cut out the lowest row of horizontal wire, leaving only the pointy ends, and shove it in the dirt. I support the wire with a 4' piece of rebar..

Flip,
That is ingenious, and so simple even I can understand it! Thanks for sharing!

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Here's a couple of pics for this fine S Fla Sunday morning. First one is a nice cluster of Sandul Moldovan -

Thumbnail by aries44
Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

And here's a nice Amana Orange getting just about ready

Thumbnail by aries44
Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Here's a little cluster of J Flamme (this is one of the two plants that has some sort of mater virus up on the top of the plant.)

Thumbnail by aries44
Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Last one - these are the first two ripening Red Ecuador. They were a freebie from Sandhill on my order last year. Looks like a bird got the first taste on one of them. Btb, the rest of the plant looks real nice vs the funky lookin' leaves here.

Flip

Thumbnail by aries44
Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

EQUADORIAN RED??? Oh, boy!

Can you believe the Amana Orange was one of the first seeds I ever ordered and I still haven't planted it??? Can't wait for your review! (I'm beginning to "feel" my list growing...)

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I had the last tomato of the 2006 crop in a salad Jan. 3. It was picked green on Nov 5. along with many others. We canned some, sold some, gave away some, ate some more, (I had tomatoes 3 or 4 times a week.)
I am going to plant more in the greenhouse this year. I had 240 plants last year, going for 400. I might go a little earlier, but like cricket, I am a little chicken. I have a big furnace in there, but it takes a lot of fuel.
Bernie

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Bernie, I've been following your mater exploits for a couple of years and you've done great. Good luck with this new year's crop!
Flip

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

It's still a bit early for major ledge shots but it needs to start sometime, so....here's the first of the season - from left to right:
Amana Orange (big one is 1lb2oz), some Sungold, Brianna at 1lb10oz, my first Chapman ever 1lb15oz (I really wanted to say 2lbs), some J Flamme, several pretty Sandul Moldovan and a Hawaiian Pineapple
The season has begun and I be a happy camper.

This message was edited Jan 8, 2007 5:03 PM

Thumbnail by aries44

Flip,
Why does the term "mutant tomatoes," come to my mind as I view your HUGE tomatoes?

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Ummm, ummm, ummm! Lookin' good!

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Sorry, the term "you s%*&k" comes to mind - errr, I mean congrats on the harvest du jour. May there be many more for the friends of the smug happy camper..Oh, did I say that?!? We are already talking poundage!?! Gotta love all the hard work and seedling baby sitting you do twice a year. Thanks for sharing (literally:)

XO
Kim

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Flip, Ah yes....the famous Ledge Shots!! Boy do they look yummy!!!!!!! keep those shots comin'.

Michelle

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.