Show me your feeders!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Show me your feeder pictures and give the pros and cons. What do they attract?
I have a couple of the suet feeders that attract Cardinals, Wrens, Chickadees, and Downy Woodpeckers offten. Downside is the mess that falls on the deck. I was trying to keep them from crumbling with leaving the plastic one this one, but when it rained, it was ruined.

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I bought this expensive beautiful feeded that holds loads of seeds, but find that the seeds clog in the openings and mold when it rains!

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW
Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

I don't have any feeders up since there is always so many mosquitos and grasshoppers and other bugs always around. I wonder if I put soem up would some birds hang around during the winter.

If I put some up can I take them down come spring and summer so that the bird s will eat the bugs again, or do they not eat bugs again once you start feeding them?

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I was given an open screen type feeder by a friend and love it. No molding, the seed dry quickly when it rains, and numerous birds can land on it. Just don't have a picture yet to show.
The old stand by with the slanted roof works pretty good though.

Starlight.....From what I understand bird's diet change with their enviroment or needs. Some will eat seeds and insects both. Some only feed on the ground or in the trees. Some birds eat fruit in summer, but need the grains in the winter to help them keep warm. I bet some one will answer that question better if you keep reading on our new bird forum!!

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW
Marlton, NJ

Heres my peanut silo that I have peanut halves and a nut and berry mix inside. He's sticking his tongue out.

This message was edited Jan 1, 2007 1:42 PM

Thumbnail by pelletory
Marlton, NJ

Heres a very old double suet feeder I have. I now keep only plain suet in it since the squirrels don't like plain and this is hanging in a tree.

Thumbnail by pelletory
Marlton, NJ

Heres a paddle style suet feeder.

Thumbnail by pelletory
Marlton, NJ

Heres the thistle feeder.

Thumbnail by pelletory
Marlton, NJ

Another silo type that I just keep safflower in.

Thumbnail by pelletory
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Pelletory, is that a yello bellied sap sucker in the first pics? What is the one on your thistle feeder? I have never tried thistle, not sure any of our birds down here would feed on it. Need to check into that. LOve the silo, it may actually be squirrel proof too!

Marlton, NJ

No its a male Red Bellied Woodpecker. I haven't been able to get a good shot of the YBS.

Marlton, NJ

Heres whats called a No No Feeder. I currently have sunflower chips, peanuts etc. in this one.

Thumbnail by pelletory
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

What makes it a "no no" feeder? Is it squirrel proof?

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I can't get close up pics of our feeders with the birds in them but here is our barnwood feeder with the limbs still on the tree for perching. I'll get better pics later on today.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Marlton, NJ

Heres the Squirrel Buster Plus feeder. Since the squirrels can't get to the food it can be hung from a tree. I'll try to get a better photo later.

Thumbnail by pelletory
Marlton, NJ

Thats nice Pepper. I've been thinking about putting decent sized tree branches in the ground and sawing off some short branches just for photo ops.

Marlton, NJ

Sheila, Thats what I thought when I bought it but the squirrels were able to gnaw at the wire enough to get little pieces and in the process really warping the feeders wire mesh.

Marlton, NJ

Heres a little mealy worm dish that I also put seeds and berries in. I just love these Carolina Wrens.

Thumbnail by pelletory
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

pelletory: what's the dark gray bird on your thistle feeder? We have had thistle feeders in past and the goldfinches love them but the squirrels tear them up. Eat right through wood and plastic!

Here's a young male cardinal. They were all over the place this morning. Cardinals don't ususally come to this feeder; it tends to get more sparrows, chickadees and titmice...plus the occasional red belly.

Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Marlton, NJ

Hi Deb, Thats a Dark Eyed Junco.

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

I myself become quite colorful when I see such gorgeous birds as the Cardinals (I turn green with envy!).

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

Goldfinches at our thistle feeder.

Debra

Thumbnail by fleursdefouquet
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Chipping sparrows...breakfasting this morning.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I love the tree stump birdfeeder you showed Pepper.
Pelletory,
Squirrels are definately are determined when they want to be. I also like the Squirrel Buster, where did you get it?

Marlton, NJ

I like that feeder Debra! Do you notice many birds aeting the apples?

Debin SC, I like those chipping sparrows. I don't think I've ever seen them here.

Marlton, NJ

Just at a local wild bird store. It can be bought online too. It was a little expensive but well worth it.

I was really pulling my hair out over the squirrels until this feeder and a good pole w/ baffle system for the other feeders.

This message was edited Jan 1, 2007 3:39 PM

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

No, Pelletory, darn it. I was hoping to attract something different but no luck so far. They've only been there a couple of days. Maybe later. That thistle feeder is on a multi arm pole feeder with both a squirrel shield and raccoon baffle. They work! We have lots of wildlife and the squirrels, raccoons and oppossums were eating us out of house and home until we added the baffles. Haven't put out our woodpecker feeder yet. Need to do that today!

Debra

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

I got a squirrel "resistant" feeder for Christmas. Here it is, doing its best to resist!
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Marlton, NJ

Deb thats a cute shot!

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Yep, the squirrels are cute, but they can clear out a feeder!! :) Thisone is one of those that will close if anything heavier that birds is on one of the perches. So far, the squirrels haven't gotten any seed, but it's only a matter of time before they figure out how to hang next to it without putting weight on it. They are SO smart. When the time comes, I'll just have to fill it with safflower, since they don't seem to like it so much.
Deb

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Need to add the pic Deb.

Marlton, NJ

One time this past summer I took all feeders down except the safflower but of course then they went after that.

Fleurs, I had put apples and oranges out too but no one bothered with them. I've also tried putting jelly in a little tiny dish because I heard the House Finch really like it but again not successful. I'm now trying berries; I'll let you know if it works.

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

Aggravating squirrels is a great hobby!

Debra

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Just curious ... if there was a feeder provided for the squirrels, would they leave the bird feeders alone?

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

NO! Been there, done that. They just empty theirs, then move on to the birds'!!! LOL!

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

The squirrels call it a "progressive dinner".

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

We do feed the squirrels out by the shop, and like Fleur said, if you don't keep it full, they go to the bird's feeder.

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Thanks, I was really wondering if that might solve the problem of the squirrels raiding the bird feeders.

So do the baffles work good to discourage them from bothering the bird feeders?

Marlton, NJ

I can only speak for the type I have but I would grade it with an A++++!!

Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

A simple home-made feeder that I can throw peanuts into. Attracts Red-bellied Woodpecker, Blue Jays, etc.
Not squirrel resistant but I don't leave seed in it overnight. I tend to have problems with raccoons, also. I wipe Crisco on the post/pole but that only lasts for awhile.

Thumbnail by linthicum

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.