Birds from Australia.

Brisvegas, Australia(Zone 12b)

I am going to number my Pics.
So I can keep a track of them.
And it will be easier to answer questions later .

Thumbnail by ginger749
Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

ZOWIE!!!!!!!!!! Such bold, beautiful colors. I would love to see a yard full of them hanging around. Are they a parrot of some sort?

Marlton, NJ

YEHHH!!! Gingers here! I love this photo!

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Gorgeous birds. I love how their colors pop.
Thanks for sharing them with us.
Patti

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

That is amazing. These have to be the most colorful birds I have ever seen! Are they common in Australia? There sure are a lot in that tree! :-)

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Beautiful! How lucky you are to live in Australia and see these gorgeous birds! WOW!

starlight1153,
Yes they are.
At our local shopping center Just on Dusk,
They come to sleep. Between 6 & 7 The sound is deafening.
I have counted 350 in 1 tree alone.
And there is 200 + trees. Gives some Idea of their numbers.

lilyfantn,
Yes very common. Their name is 'Rainbow Lorikeet.'

This is a close up of one of them.

Thumbnail by ginger749
Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

I'm surprised someone isn't scooping them all up to bring over here & sell. Beautiful birds !

I` m sharing with you for free betterbloom. lol
If you want them over there ? That will cost you heaps.
I know what you mean though.
It’s not till I get a Danish visitor here.
That I even give these birds a thought.
The shop keepers even had to put up poop proof roofs for the cars.

Thumbnail by ginger749
Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

ginger, thanks for sharing those! There is a park somewhere in QLD where visitors can have the birds sit on them and get their pic taken, looks like you don't need to visit it!

There are some parks here where they keep them too, I found a site with a very long list of breeders of all sorts of parrots here.

I think no birds are allowed to be exported now, that was stopped many years ago, that is why any of these birds here cost a fortune to buy. Parrots can cost from Ł1,000 upwards.

These birds come by the hundreds to feed on my Ficus benjamina fruit.
But only for 2 weeks each year.

This message was edited Jan 2, 2007 5:22 AM

Thumbnail by ginger749
Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Omigosh, Ginger - fabulous!!

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Sulphur Crested Cockatoo? It makes you wonder where they find food for the rest of the time, probably work their way around all the hotels in Australia! They make good talking pets too.

Hi Murmur
We too have a Greenbank here in Brisvegas.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

hi ginger!!! Nice to see you over here too!! I LOVE your pictures!! They are stunning. I don't have good enough zoom on my cameras to get that close to birds. Though as soon as one gets fixed that will change.

Melbourne, FL

Great pictures...must be a wonderful place for a birdwatcher to live!

Las Cruces, NM(Zone 8a)

This is one of the wonderful things about DG. We get to see incredible sights we'd never have the opportunity to see otherwise! If I had those Rainbow Lorikeets in my yard, I don't think I'd ever go back indoors. I'd also be on a constant lookout for little feathers to scoop up from the ground (no idea why, but I wouldn't be able to pass up those colors.) Thank you for sharing these!
Sheri

Is this a BIG bird or is it a SMALL horse ???
They both look the same size ?

Thumbnail by ginger749
Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Oh how I love the Lori's. Sure wish we had them here. Fabulous pics

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

LOL ginger. They sure do look the same size in that picture!

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

really great. pics. Not only getting to see the birds from other countries, but I never realized your country had foliage and landscape like that. All I have ever seen is the outback shows on tv. This is so educational. I loving it and loving the sharing of the pics.

I have posted these 3 next Pics in DG before.
But I would like them all together.

Thumbnail by ginger749
Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Ginger, our Greenbank is an unincorporated 'town' with an old-fashioned grocery store (limited food - mostly canned, packaged, etc.), a post office, and several antique stores. There is also Greenbank Farm which is a unique store of sorts and a huge area that is used for Farmer's Markets. In the 'farm' part is a restaurant and a couple little shops.

I live in an area called Honeymoon Lake (man-made lake right across the road from Honeymoon Bay which is a tiny little bay that is part of Saratoga Straits which is part of Puget Sound which is part of the Pacific Ocean. LOL - probably a bit more info than you wanted!

Much as I love the Pacific Northwest and would never consider leaving, we surely do not get the beautiful birds that are found in other parts of this country and the world. Sigh . . . can't have it all, I guess!!!

Starlight - I do so agree . . . this is so educational and just plain pleasurable!

This is a back yard feeder.
The sort of thing that started this Thread off.
I ask ppl to guess how many birds are in the Pic ?

# 7

Thumbnail by ginger749

Murmur
Thanks for the tour.
You see, This really is a small world.
We are all just sharing It. Kell.

Another BY feeder.

# 8

Thumbnail by ginger749
nelson, New Zealand(Zone 9a)

Ginger, such beautiful birds, how lucky you are to have them in your yard. We were in Queensland a couple of years ago and visited a bird place in Kurunda. I fed the birds out of my hand there. This is one of the photos I took.
Had to laugh at the poop catcher at the shopping centre!
The last photo of your bird feeder has given me an idea of how I can use a pottery piece I have which is about the same as the one you have.
We live in a new subdivision here and hardly any trees big enough to hold a bird but I did see a thrush sitting in my cherry blossom tree. No native birds at all in our street, when we lived in the country, the Tuis used to come to the big flax bushes which grew along the frontage.

Thumbnail by ferrymead
Marlton, NJ

Thats certainly a beauty!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Beautiful specimens Ginger and Ferry! Such coloration! :) Great for the Northern Hemisphere winter blahs...
~Amy :)

This message was edited Jan 1, 2007 1:27 PM

Hebron, KY

Ginger,

Thanks for sharing all those beautiful photos of the birds (white and colorful ones)!

Marilyn

ferrymead
That`s a Great Pic.
Was it a wild bird ?
I ask because of the roof behind The Pic.

It is my pleasure Marilynbeth,
I am also enjoying everyone else’s Pics.

Ginger, the photo was taken in the bird sanctuary in Kurunda. It is completely enclosed but has plenty of trees and shrubs planted.
This one shows another beautiful bird and you can see the roof.

Thumbnail by ferrymead

Oh darn, that is not the roof of the sanctuary, it was where a feeding station was set up which had a little roof over it. Will try again to get a pic of the roof. I don't really like to see birds contained but at least they can fly free in Kurunda.
There is a white parrot which lives in a cage at the local garden centre, I do feel sorry for him but it always gives a cheery greeting to the customers, I just hope it gets taken hone sometime and allowed a flight around the house.

Thumbnail by ferrymead
Hollywood, FL(Zone 10b)

Ginger- gorgeous photos of gorgeous birds!!!

As for #7, I counted 9 birds! Am I right? Do I win?! ;)
~Gina

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Great photos! Your Aussie birds are just gorgeous! I've only seen those in captivity in cages unfortunately. Thanks for sharing your photos! :-) :-) :-)

Sorry Gina_Rose
Count again !
What I do Is count Their Legs and Divide by two. LOL

Hollywood, FL(Zone 10b)

Ok, I see 7 Lorikeets, but I also counted what looks like a bright white golf ball in the tree, as well as what I now see is probably just a white bloom on one of the bushes, LOL...
There looks to be some huge white bird on the bottom-most feeder... I'm guessing it's not a bird?! ;) If so, it's record-breaking!
~Gina

Hi Gina_Rose
This time you are on the money.
On ya M8

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.