Flowering out of season

Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

Mild temperatures in December appear to have delayed dormancy in some plants. I took a look around the gravel bed today and Potentilla alba 'Snow White' still has buds on it, while a pink Phlox (subulata type) is actually flowering. This is unprecedented! The Phlox normally blooms in late April, with a sporadic re-bloom in the fall.

Thumbnail by June_Ontario
somewhere, PA

It has been a very mild fall/winter hasn't it. I found a patch of verbena in full bloom yesterday.

Thumbnail by Tammy
somewhere, PA

And here is a little primula veris (I believe) in bloom too

Thumbnail by Tammy
Central, UT(Zone 5b)

I think that it would be nice to see a bit of green right now. After receiving 16" + of snow a week before christmas, I'm sure I won't be seeing any blossoms for some time. This has been a particularly cold winter here in Utah. Thankfully we've not been hit as hard as the folks in Colorado and parts of New Mexico.

Love the pictures Tammy and June, it's hard to believe that anything could be blooming this time of year.

somewhere, PA

I guess that just proves the point that ya always want what you don't have.
I would love to have that snow! Well - today, when I don't have to go anywhere!
Its supposed to stay in the 50s here all week too. Here's my daphne all budded
out and ready to bloom.

Thumbnail by Tammy
Central, UT(Zone 5b)

I guess your right about that Tammy. I really don't mind the snow, other than I hurt my back shoveling the fluffy stuff that weekend. It's nice to have that insulating cover on most of the plants. I do worry about a few plants like my Hesperaloe that never do well after winters like this.

Really, it shouldn't be long before I see Crocus poking up out of the ground. We get our late January thaw and are reminded that spring isn't far off. That's what I tell myself as I look out at the white blanket of snow covering the yard this time of year.

Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

Tammy, I covet your Daphne. Please can you tell me the name of it?

Still no sign of snow in our forecast! This is one crazy winter.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Tammy, I'm green with envy! I won't see any alpines here until at least mid-April (the beginning of Draba season). Not a lot of snow here but 3" is enough to look wintery.

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

I can't believe I am beating you, Todd. From bare, brown ground, we got 9 inches New Year's Eve. Sure has raised my spirits. It just isn't winter without snow!

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I'm sure it is only a matter of time before I edge ahead!

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I guess this could go into the 'flowering out of season' thread...this is my Convolvulus cneorum. I got it last yeat in Feb. and it bloomed in May as it should. I don't risk this one outside in winter (listed as zone 7) so I brought it into a cool greenhouse (50 F)..the silly thing is now in full flower! A pick me up for this season.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
(Zone 5a)

Todd - that is just a gorgeous plant! What a delight at this time of year!!!

somewhere, PA

Todd - feel free to contribute such eye-candy anytime! And this is just a wildly
weird year. We've had just a few brief days of "normal" weather but otherwise
its been in the 50's or warmer. Certainly no snow or ice!

June - Unfortunately, I don't know. I bought that Daphne as a little plant at
a Morris Arb plant sale many years ago. Its not really hardy here - I believe its
zone 7. I have it in a very protected place & I rarely get any bloom. Last
year we had lots of snow so I piled it up on it and I did get bloom. I'll look
through my book on daphne's to see if I can figure it out (I may also have the
old receipt but I doubt it. I think its been 6-7yrs).

Tam

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

The Daphne looks like D. odorata 'Variegata'...a zone 7 (or so they say)...they bloom in early-mid Feb. on Vancouver Island.

Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

Thanks for the Daphne info, Tammy and Todd. I think I'll risk ordering a couple of dwarf Daphnes from the Beaver Creek alpines catalog, anyway. I just got a greenhouse, which I hope to use to over-winter slightly tender plants. So far this winter, the problem has not been keeping the greenhouse warm, but keeping it from overheating!

The lovely Convolvulus is another plant to add to my "must order" list.

(Zone 5a)

Tammy - keep us posted on the Daphne if it manages to flower! I sure hope it does - it would be a shame to let all those promising buds go to waste ......... could they take the frost if it would get cold? Maybe you could tuck it in?? That is to say if winter ever shows up ;-) lol It sure is pretty - and I like the phlox too :-)

Nothing flowering up here - here's a photo of my "rock garden" covered with frost

Thumbnail by rannveig
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

At least you can see your alpines...mine are under 2" of snow at the moment although they may be exposed later in the week if we get the mild weather they are predicting.

Todd, that sure is wonderful foliage on that Convolvulus cneorum. What happened to the old flower stalks? Did you cut them down, being a new plant?

Central, UT(Zone 5b)

I've thought about growing the small Convolvulus a couple of times but always hesitated. This year I was lucky enough to be given some seed for C. compactus so I will finally get to see how one performs here. Although I'm still considering growing it in a container as opposed to the open ground. The C cneorum is stunning!

Tammy how big was the Daphne when you purchased it?

Here's a wintery pic showing Yucca harrimaniae poking out of the snow. We are supposed to get a bit more snow tomorrow. Nothing blooming here.

Thumbnail by Ally_UT
(Zone 5a)

Ally that is a nice photo :-) Love the look of the Yucca covered in snow - reminds me of a porcupine ;-) It's funny I never pictured Utah as having snow - always picture a desert for some reason ...... lol

somewhere, PA

Todd - that sounds right for the daphne!

Ally - that daphne was very small when I bought it. The strategy for the plant sale
is to get small plants so you can fit lots of them. You have to carry all your purchases
(or drag the boxes) quite a long way from the shopping area to the check-out and finally
pick-up. Some people bring little red wagons but they are a huge nuicance in the
crowds.

Tam

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Not out of season, but starting to bloom, are my ericas. Not sure which are which, though. The pics on the left side are just close-ups of the plants on the right. They could probably use some insulation from a layer of snow, but it's nice to be able to see the buds coming along. Maybe I'll be able to identify them. I know what I bought, but the landscaper planted them when I wasn't home and threw away all the labels.

Thumbnail by grampapa
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Jan, won't be long before the Ericas are open...even ours show some colour! Mind you, it will be early April before they are truly open.

Ally, I have a Yucca glauca that is currently going through its first winter outside....so far, only about as much snow on it as yours, but that can change in a heatbeat! I did get a few cacti to survive in the coldframe last winter but I wouldn't risk them in the open.

Tammy, a friend of mine tried Daphne odorata here..it survived one winter but died the next.

Central, UT(Zone 5b)

Thanks Rannveig, the yucca does look a bit like a porcupine, and it's tips are pretty sharp as well. As far as snow goes we get plenty here in the "high" desert areas. We got another 6" last night. I could drive 3 hours to the south and enjoy a day of sunshine and 50 degrees and still be in Utah though.

Tammy that's good to know about the size of your Daphne when purchased as it gives me a reference for how some of mine might perform. I purchased my first couple of small Daphne this spring. This fall they were still quite small, being about 1.5" to 2" tall. Hope mine survive and look as nice as yours does.

Hope your Yucca glauca does well Todd. Yucca glauca has a great bluish color to it that I love. I have one waiting to be planted this spring. I believe it's pretty cold hardy and can take a bit more precip than others. Do you keep your other cacti in a cold frame because they're not cold hardy or because of moisture concerns, or perhaps both? I planted a couple of marginally hardy cacti and a couple Agave out in the garden that I'm keeping my fingers cross for and hoping they fare well.

Gram, love the Ericas. They have great coloring on them. I wonder how they'd do here in UT.

Yucca glauca is easily cold hardy for our Zone 4a winters.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Ally, I keep them in the cold frame due to moisture concerns. I have several Opuntia and a couple of Escobaria kept there that overwintered no problem last year. We did not drop below 0 F last winter, so the cacti had no stress at all from low temps....however, 60 " of rain per year with half of that as snow is a bit too much for them!

somewhere, PA

We've got hellebore orientalis in bloom. I think its early.

Thumbnail by Tammy
somewhere, PA

and some buds for blooms to come...

Thumbnail by Tammy
somewhere, PA

The foetidus is coming along too...

Thumbnail by Tammy
somewhere, PA

It was 68F and sunny yesterday. I was out in shorts & t-shirt weeding my beds. Its just
way way too weird. Lots of perennials are greening up and the weeds are certainly looking
happy and are germinating like crazy. Today is sunny & warm too. I guess they are predicting to
get to seasonally normal temperatures in a couple of days. I'll get the camera out again
(I ran out of battery power yesterday) to capture the progress of the daphne. It looked
like some of the buds were opening yesterday. If it really goes down to the 30's by
Tues, I'm sure they won't survive that.

Tam

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Incredible Tammy....my Hellebore won't flower until late April. We were quite mild (for our standards) this past 2 days...last night hit 52 F but it's down to 40 F now. All our snow is gone so I was wandering around the back yard. Only signs of spring are my snowdrops which are about 2" high....a couple of Viola still have flowers.

Central, UT(Zone 5b)

All I can say is "Amazing"! I would love to enjoy a day of 60+ degrees and be able to do a bit of weeding. That said, I am thankful I'm not able to do that right now. It's just way too early for that kind of weather. I was watching the weather channel last night and was amazed to see the temperatures across the central and eastern parts of the continent.

Todd, 60" of precipitation per year is something that I have no frame of reference to truly comprehend. I've lived and gardened in the western U.S. my whole life. A wet year here is anything that exceeds 20" and this includes what we get from the snow, but then I'm sure you know that. I can imagine the shriveling slimey mess that a cactus would turn into given that kind of moisture.

Tammy your Hellebore are beautiful!

somewhere, PA

It was a bit chilly in my shorts & t-shirt today when I was weeding. When I finished I checked the
thermometer. It was 47F at a bit after 3pm. I bet the high was around 50F. I did get some more
pictures - the dianthus has some bloom, a witch hazel (blanking on the species - native, very fragrant,
small yellow bloom) is gloriously in bloom and my flowering quince is just on the early side of peaking.
Oh this is just too weird! I have a few daffodil with the bloom above ground too.

I'll post pic's later (though these are not strictly rock garden & alpines) unless someone protests.

Tam

somewhere, PA

OK - no one checked & objected so here's our out of season bloom!

Edited to add: the daphne odorata variegata is not blooming though the buds
are fully pink and seem ready to pop. I suspect they'll be burned after the plunge
in mercury in the next couple of days. :-(

Hamamelis Mollis I believe

This message was edited Jan 7, 2007 6:18 PM

Thumbnail by Tammy
somewhere, PA

And flowering quince

Thumbnail by Tammy
somewhere, PA

And while not in bloom, are these daphne's supposed to be this lush and green
this time of year?

Daphne arbuscula

Thumbnail by Tammy
somewhere, PA

And Daphne Lawrence Crocker

Thumbnail by Tammy
somewhere, PA

Finally, Todd this one is from your seed. Is it supposed to be this
green now? Perhaps it is an ever green?

Lychnis Flois Jovi (hopefully got the name right!)

Thumbnail by Tammy
West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Hi Tammy. Beautiful pictures! The H. foetidus especially, you can see the whole plant really well. I hope you put some of these in the plantfiles. The Daphne entries could use more, too. I finally ordered some Helleborus for this spring, but they'll be tiny... makes me wonder how old yours are?

There's a post with pictures of Quince blooming in the tree forum, too. What a surprise... I suppose this weather will effect Cherries, too. Did you hear they're calling for maybe 2" of rain tonight? I'd rather have snow.
Mike

somewhere, PA

Thank you. I'll look at plant files to see if my pictures would add value.

I got those hellebores as tiny little seedlings maybe 21/2 years ago (June '04)
at the NARGS chapter plant sale. Amazingly they didn't sell well so I got
them for something like $0.50 each.

Tam

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.