clivia seeds

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Does anyone have ideas for successful growing clivia from the seeds. I have several that I just harvested. Have tried them before but not much luck.
Thanks, Elaine

Byron, GA

I read somewhere that they must be planted immediately after harvesting. I think if the seeds dry, they are less likely to germinate. Plant them now, neighbor!
Digs

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Thanks neighbor,,, think I also read something about that. Will get them in probably peat moss.... Elaine

Byron, GA

Hope you have success. I've never tried to grow them because of their tropical nature. Have too many other things that hog the greenhouse space.
Digs

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Hi,, I have 2 seeds that I put in plastic baggie with damp paper towel and put them over a low watt night light for warmth. Will plant the others tomorrow, yawn.... What do you have in your greenhouse?? I just bought a shelf at Ace Hardware for $29. regulary 49. sturdy plastic 5 shelf. Best price I have seen for the money. Think I will go get another for seed starting.
Elaine

Byron, GA

I'll have to check out that shelf. Always a need for more shelf space. I have a 12x16 hoophouse and currently it is packed mostly with pots of brugmansia cuttings. I use my gh to overwinter tender perennials and brugs. When I grow from seeds I use shop lights on metal shelving units in my garage/basement. I also house quiet a few large brugs in containers in my basement and I still have room to park my car. We'll have to get together sometime. My cousin lives in Lizella and I visit her about once a month. Will d-mail my phone number and addy.
Digs

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Same here with the greenhouse.. sent you mail also.. Elaine

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

Elaine,

I grow Clivia from seed every year that I buy from South Africa and New Zealand. To really look into it I suggest you look at this group; http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/clivia-enthusiast/
I should mention that from seed to flowering plant will take you about four years. But its really fun.

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Siggy, thanks for the link. Yes, they do take a long time to germinate and grow. Teaches patience..LOL I have about 20 or so of the orange miniata plants that I have grown over the past 10 years from seperating the original plant. Happy greenhouse gardening... Elaine

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

Eliane,

One thing that really speeds up the process is to carefully remove the the outer layer of skin around the micropore. This article explains what I'm talking about.
http://www.americancliviasociety.org/Article-1.html

Thumbnail by Siggy
Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

I have some Clivia seeds from China that I have sprouted...they are about 2-4 leaves (1-2 sets of leaves). They are currently in 4" pots. When can I put them in the ground? How should I treat them? Some are variegated, some are not....

Clueless Carol

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

Where I live because it freezes I can never plant Clivia outside. But there is a guy on the Yahoo Clivia-enthusiast site that lives in Hawaii and grows great clivia outside. You might ask there http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/clivia-enthusiast

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Aloha, I also keep mine in pots and keep them in greenhouse over the winter. I have found they can withstand temperatures in the high 30's with minimal damage.
Elaine

Clatskanie, OR(Zone 9b)

Hello, I too got clivia seeds from China, last winter several times. The first ones planted were the ones that rotted. The ones with the root starting to poke out of the seed, were the best survivors. THEY SHOULD NOT BE COMPLETLY BURRIED. When the time comes, probably late feb or in march, that the root starts to come out of the seed, stick a pencil in the soil to accomodate the gynormous root that is going to come out of the seed, and then press the seed, root down into the soil, leaving the top of the seed exposed to the air. If you don't make a little hole for the root to go into, it may lift the seed up out of the soil, and complicate things. The root that emerges is going to get about 3 inches long. It is important for the crown of the plant to be based in the soil deep enough to support the plant. If you don't anticipate this, and poke a little hole under the seed to accept that strong root, it will lift the seed out of the hole. Frank

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

I buried my seed but kept them warm and moist - not wet! If you keep it too wet, they will rot. Once you have a plant, keep them on the dry, cool side during winter (an unheated garage works well) to encourage lots of blooms.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.