Best Squirrel/Bird-Proof Netting?

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

I planted my first fruit-bearing vines and shrubs last year and could use some experienced advice. I have tons of birds and squirrels in my garden and like their company, however I'd love to be able to enjoy some of my berries next year. I covered the plants with a plastic "bird netting" but it was not effective at all. I didn't get to taste any of my grapes, blackberries, or blueberries. I managed to get a couple strawberries, but I think the squirrels enjoyed most everything else. The netting that I have now is a black plastic with I'd guess about a 1/2 inch mesh, so methinks that if I could find something with a smaller mesh, I should be okay(?). Any recommendations?

Baltimore, MD

A 1/2" netting works fine for me. You need to completely close off any gaps by the ground or they will just crawl under it, though. I use 12' copper pipes I think I paid $5 each for at Home Depot. Rebar poles would also work well. These are laid on the ground all around and keep the netting firmly on the ground. I would be very surprised if the squirrels or birds were getting through a 1/2" hole -- they would get tangled in the netting if they tried that.

Scott

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I'm betting they went under.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.