another winter sowing question

Kingston, NY

i am so desperate that i have posted this twice i think that for the past 2 years i have used the wrong ontainers first i use tipperware and the cap is a tick plastic white but you can not see thru it is this the mistake does the container have to be clear plastic on top thanks i really want to start today so i need an answer

All the containers I use have clear tops. I mostly use alluminum pans from the dollar store and sarran wrap or slip it in a zip lock. :-) I even save a lot of take out trays but again the lids are clear. I'm watching to see what others have to say. Good luck!

Kingston, NY

thank you for your immediate reply i have a feeling that is what is going wrong can i slip a baggie over it with holes and would it work

Yes, I think that would work just fine. :-)

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

Yes, baggies work. I mostly use milk jugs without the cap and they work very well. On the containers I need a cover for I use a med weight clear plastic with several holes.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I used a mix of containers last year, but I found that the water/milk jugs worked the best. It will be the only container I use this year. Gallons for the larger sowings and 1/2 gallons for the smaller.

Kingston, NY

when you use the milk containers what do you do cut them in half and then put the top back on can you explain and thanks for all your responses

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

Yes, I cut them about 2/3rds of the way up and 3/4 of the way around. That gives them a hing to close them on. I then duct tape them closed. When it is time to open them totally you just cut the top part off the rest of the way. I do not put the cap back on.

Kingston, NY

when do you start is it too late or is thru jan ok

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

I planted in February and March last year. It is my understanding that as long as it is still freezing it is ok.

This is the best site to answer your questions.

http://www.wintersown.org/wseo1/How_to_Winter_Sow.html

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I do the same with my containers...using the label as the hinge, I cut 3/4 of the way around. I leave the caps off and cut drainage holes in the bottom. I use a piece of duct tape to keep the container closed. I started around this time last year and plan on doing the same. I sowed perennials and hardy annuals and left the tender annuals/veggies for March.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

Thank you for mentioning the holes in the bottom I hadn't said that.

Kingston, NY

yes that was great thanks to allfor your help it is much appreciated egg cartons are good too right i realize that the top has to be clear i tried it once used tupperware and none germinated and i think that was the reason again thanks

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

No, egg cartons wouldn't be deep enough, your soil will dry out & the seeds will die. You need a container that will hold 4" of good potting soil.

Do you drink any liquids that come in 1/2 or 1 gallon plastic containers, such as milk, juice, or bottled water? Those would work best. Many people also use deep aluminum baking containers, Cool Whip containers, etc. Lots more suggestions regarding which containers work best can be found here. http://www.wintersown.org/wseo1/Making_Flats.html Please read the Wintersown website, because it is constantly being updated with more information & new ideas.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I believe I read somewhere on this forum that translucent green plastic (like that used in Sprite bottles) works well.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

It seems like life is full of inconsistencies. I had two containers that the seeds didn't germinate in, one of which was the only green plastic bottle I used.

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

You could also cut out the middle of the tops of your tupperware containers - leaving the rim to snap on. Put a piece of plastic over the container (with some air holes), snap on the lid, and you're good to go.

PV

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.