Propagation

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Jeanne for you because I know you need this now but for all of us too because this is an excellent time to start thinking of taking cuttings. Good luck!!

http://www.botany.com/hydrangea.html

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Just a thought! Has anyone started to take cuttings yet?

Cordova, MD

Hi Louisa! And yess- I did that yesterday! Got some of that root stuff- dipped em and put them in some nice soil in pots that I carefully put in a shady place. Checked on them this evenig and they still look straight and laert as ever! This gentle rain we've had all day I think they like it a lot....but I'll keep you informed!
thanks for thinking ofme! I'm excited about this new venturing out of mine!!
In the fall I'll try some roses.... I'm getting brave!!!
What a grreat combo I am visioning my spring planting for next year- roses and hydrangas! Wow.
-JSS

Milford, CT(Zone 6a)

I started taking cutting last week and so far so good!!!!

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

You are going great guns you two!! I am about to take cuttings from last year's cutting because it is doing so well and that is the mophead. Will also take cuttings from the lacecap. Hydrangea cuttings are tough little devils so I know your efforts are going to turn out just fine. If mine survived all the abuse of last year then I know there will be many successes for you :-)

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

My hydrangea propagated itself. Some lower limbs hit the dirt and rooted. I didn't even notice it right away. I severed it from the mother plant and gave a nice plant with three blooms on it to a lady I work with. I also noticed after poking around that the lace cap hydrangea has done the same thing so now it is a huge huge bush. I don't really know how long it took for the branches to root because I didn't notice it. You could pull a lower branch down and scoop some soil over it and see what happens.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Loon I bet you were highly delighted with this self-made plant!!!! Yes, I have one that I dug up after a stem had rooted itself. I don't think it took very long either because hydrangeas are such willing shrubs!! An effortless way of propagating :-)

Greenlawn, NY(Zone 6B)

Hi Loon!
I decided to try your method--put a brick on a couple of low
lying branches---here's hoping!
Thanks for the idea---nice and easy--that's my style!

SandyR

I think you could sort of make a little nick/slice into the stem you are bending back, on the bottom part, right where it touches th soil. That helps them to grow roots also from that. There are little pins (they look like giant staples) you can buy that are used for exactly this type of propigation.

Ewing, KY(Zone 6a)

Louisa thanks for the link above I came here looking for some answers and your link answered all my questions. Thanks

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

Louisa,

i got the hydrangeas i ordered from Plantranch. there was so much, so i divided the bare root cuttings and shared with some of our friends in this forum.

the ones i kept are all now burstings with buds. could hardly wait to see their flowers. i ordered white,pink and blue. the sad part, i do not know specifically what variety the are. so it's a long wait from here to see the flowers to properly identify them... ma vie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.