saffron crocus

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Saffron crocus--love this little plant! Thomas Jefferson used to grow it at Monticello. Before I heard that, I always thought that it needed a warmer climate but it grows fine here. Beautiful purple flowers whose orange filaments you can use to flavor your paella if you are Spanish or dye your robes a golden yellow if you are a Buddhist monk.

It is the traditional flavoring for Cornish pastries, supposed to have come to Cornwall in England when Phoenician traders exchanged it for tin to make bronze during the bronze age. Other stories have it brought to England by the conquering Romans. It was a valuable spice in Imperial Rome. Or it returned with the crusaders from the middle east. The Arabic word for yellow is za'fran.

It blooms in October when color is always welcome. In the picture you can see the three red-orange filaments coming out of the flower--that is the saffron. You can harvest it and still leave the flower in place. I let the filaments dry inside on a plate for two or three days and fold them by pinches into small squares of wax paper to be stored in a covered spice jar.

A few years ago I moved the saffron to a sunnier spot in the front slope. I must have missed a few small bulbs in the old place because this year some of them were large enough to bloom and I noticed them. I can dig them up when the leaves die down in April to bring along to the swap. They'll need to be replanted in August.

Thumbnail by dayli
Crozet, VA

Hi Dayli - Thank you for the picture and the info on this cutie. I will probably want some of these. I haven't really given much thought to what I will bring to trade, I guess that I will have to see what I have an abundance of. I am hoping that the seeds I am going to wintersow will do well.

Next week will be when I begin the wintersowing. I am really looking forward to it. I have loads of seed waiting for my attention. I only hope that we will have some good weather next week.

i think that I will start a wintersow thread on here.

Ruby

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Interesting info.
Sounds like anyone with a bit of garden who loves saffron would have to have this. Don't they always say it's expensive to buy?

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Sally, it is very expensive! I tryed growning some but it is to cold up here. I might try again but in a more sheltered spot, I have some micro climate areas that push the zone up a notch or 2.
I'd sure like to harvest my own Saffron for bread.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Dayli that will be fantastic if you can bring some to the swap. I'd love to get some. The saffron spice is extremely expensive per ounce, but then the threads weigh nothing and it takes very little to season a dish. I just love saffron rice.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Will do. Thank you again for offering to host this swap for us. The worst of the winter is still ahead, but I look forward to meeting everyone this spring and finding good homes for my babies.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I've just thought of a plant I'd really like. One of you may have it and not think it special enough to bring. Old fashioned chives, the kind you could buy 20 years ago. They are smaller and thinner of leaf and bloom later than more modern ones. The chives you can buy today are just too vigorous! They taste okay but they are not graceful. Even their flowers are too assertive.

When you buy young chives in containers in the nursery these days, they may look modest and mild-mannered, but when you plant them in the garden, they grow into football linebackers. I want the kind of chives that would look more at home reading sentimental novels or joining the chess club. Does anyone have a division to share?

Shenandoah Valley, VA

LOL Dayli! I planted some chives last year that was small like the chives I grew years ago. If it comes back up, I'll be glad to give you a piece. If it doesn't, I know where I can get you some for $1. English major chives. LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.