Now that we have it....

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

one of the real double rose ones

Thumbnail by corgimom
Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

and a rose one with just a little doubling

Thumbnail by corgimom
Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

You have a very nice selection corgimom! I had a single one I left one year that turned out to be a bright red pompon completely to the stem, with purple petal bases. I kept seed but never found a place to grow them!

I love the last pic, the flower form and colour is lovely, it's also well focused.

hi..love this forum

heres an orange shirley that i am working on to isolate the color

pam

Thumbnail by

heres a single red finged

pam

Thumbnail by
Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

pam, I couldn't get your orange one to enlarge for me. I LOVE the fringed red one !!!!

hi yes i dont know what happened but you get the idea..and thanks!

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Beautiful poppy photos. I think my favorite if I had to pick one would by yours, corgimom of Jan. 3 7:39. Is it grown from seed.

Donna

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

Donna, yes, they all came from one envelope of seeds a friend of mine sent me. Here we throw them out on top of the ground in October for the following spring bloom. Unfortunately, this October and November I was unable to clear my flower beds to get them ready for poppies (due to medical problems). I did not get any seeds thrown out until late December so it will be interesting to see if I get any plants this year.

When I went to collect seeds I meant to keep all the colors separate but got lazy and just put most of them all in the same envelopes ,except for some single red ones.
What time of year do those of you in the north plant the annual poppy seeds ? Do you do it in the fall or wait until spring?

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Usually wait till spring. i have scattered seed in the fall, success depends on weather. This year for sure I didn't try scattering seeds in the fall, due to very early cold and my own medical problems. Now I can;t because birds would eat the seeds immediately. there is still at least 12 inches of snow and more expected.

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

deer have smashed through my bed so that eliminates many of mine - so this year will be pot luck. Maybe a few will survive. I am going to throw out more later . I had not thought about birds eating them - well duh !

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Last evening I got home before dark and so didn't close the gate. It wasn't 10 min. before I looked out and saw a mother white tail and her last years fawn come through the gate opening to check out what there was to eat. I try to remember to close the gate each evening. Between the deer and the cottontail bunnies they do a lot of damage. I did spray with Plantskydd last fall but I think most has worn off now and the snow is too deep for me to try to go out and spray more.

Donna

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

they are beautiful to look at,but they have destroyed my daylily beds this year !

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

All of your poppies are beautiful ! Here's a few photos of just the plain "corn" poppies we scattered.

Thumbnail by Dea
Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

We mixed in lots of batchelor's buttons with them.

Thumbnail by Dea
Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Last one :)

Dea

Thumbnail by Dea
Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

Dea, The Poppies and Bachelor Buttons are beautiful together.

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

Dea, a beautiful combination !

Prophetstown, IL(Zone 5a)

what a gorgeous combination Dea - are they part of a larger bed or in a spot by themselves...guess I'm wanting to see the rest of your gardens ;-)

Catherine

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Thanks - we did a little meadow consisting of about 1/8 of an acre with wildflowers.

Thumbnail by Dea
Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

This pic was taken after many of the corn poppies had finished. It was a fun little field and if we re-plant this spring, it should be a bit better :) The bluebirds just love it!

Dea

Thumbnail by Dea

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.